Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:55 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Which part is not true?

What's the study on twins?
The Minnesota study of twin adoption. Researchers gathered a statistically meaningful sample of twins given up for adoption and raised in different environments. Identical twins represented identical genetics, while fraternal twins represented the same fetal environment. They also tracked environmental variables such as the income and education levels of the adopting households. In the end they found that 70% of the variance in adult IQ could be explained by genetics and 30% could be explained by environment.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Which part is not true?

It's not easy to link information that I hadn't bookmarked on the topic as the search engines seem to bury anything not of a progressive viewpoint.

https://www.livescience.com/47288-tw...-genetics.html

Quote:
Another study, commissioned by the editor of the journal Science, looked at genetics and IQ. The Minnesota researchers found that about 70 percent of IQ variation across the twin population was due to genetic differences among people, and 30 percent was due to environmental differences. The finding received both praise and criticism, but an updated study in 2009 containing new sets of twins found a similar correlation between genetics and IQ.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:

You don't know about the study on twins regards to IQ? Why are you expressing your opinion on a topic in which you know so little?

Old 02-11-2018, 04:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not easy to link information that I hadn't bookmarked on the topic as the search engines seem to bury anything not of a progressive viewpoint.

Thanks. I don't disagree that genetics plays a big role though.

I am not sure I understand your original comment

Quote:
But this isn't true. When you test large random samples of the population, you are accounting for most differences. It's simply not supported that "culture" alone explains group intelligence differences. It's just as much the other way around. There have been studies that examined twins, adopted and by family income and education.
The thing is that we are still living in a very segregated society - people tend to live and socialize with races of their own.

I don't believe we can accurately measure intelligence. All the "IQ tests" I have seen can be beaten with adequate practices.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:17 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:

The things, we are still living in a very segregated society - people tend to live and socialize with races of their own.

I don't believe we can accurately measure intelligence. All the "IQ tests" I have seen can be beaten with adequate practices.

Questions (not comments, not conclusions, etc.) for you:

1) Do you think cultures are something that just randomly fell from sky and randomly land on certain ethnic groups but not the other?

2) Why are certain groups, who are consistently tested low on IQ test, never have any written language or built any significant civilizations, in the past six thousand years?

Old 02-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:

The things, we are still living in a very segregated society - people tend to live and socialize with races of their own.

We are not living in a very racially segregated society at all. Most identity groups that are tested are all basically neighbors and classmates etc. Are you saying just whites and Asians are given a cheat test and practicing ahead of time? I remember taking many standardized pop tests in my grade school days. No one was practicing ahead of time for the test. You can't really study or practice for an intelligence test anyway. It's possible in Asia there is some systemic cheating going on though.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:

This is very interesting. Thank you for the link. I have identical twin sons who could not be more different in personality, yet nearly identical in testing aptitude and intelligence.

Last edited by redwood66; 02-11-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
We are not living in a very racially segregated society at all. Most identity groups that are tested are all basically neighbors and classmates etc. Are you saying just whites and Asians are given a cheat test and practicing ahead of time? I remember taking many standardized pop tests in my grade school days. No one was practicing ahead of time for the test. You can't really study or practice for an intelligence test anyway. It's possible in Asia there is some systemic cheating going on though.
I am saying whites and Asians tend to study harder.

I am also saying this is an enormously complex issue.

1. What's the clear definition of intelligence?
2. Is the IQ test the best way to measure the undefined intelligence?
3. If passing the IQ is the yardstick, I'd argue people who practice simulation tests would score higher.

For example, if you have never seen a question like this, you wouldn't know how to answer it right away.
Which number logically follows this series? 4 6 9 6 14 6 ...

Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
This is very interesting. Thank you for the link. I have identical twin sons who could not be more different in personality, yet nearly identical in testing aptitude and intelligence.
Do they score the same on the IQ test?

Old 02-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I am saying whites and Asians tend to study harder.

I am also saying this is an enormously complex issue.

1. What's the clear definition of intelligence?
2. Is the IQ test the best way to measure the undefined intelligence?
3. If passing the IQ is the yardstick, I'd argue people who practice simulation tests would score higher.

For example, if you have never seen a question like this, you wouldn't know how to answer it right away.
Which number logically follows this series? 4 6 9 6 14 6 ...
You're just confusing the issue. Scientific research has shown groups differ psychometrically due to genetics. And I believe that influences the culture groups create. And it really doesn't matter why groups are different. The fact that they are measurably different means only they don't belong together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies