Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:57 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You are just making stuff up in your head.

I have not seen anyone who calls themselves left say this.

You shouldn't make stuff up -- it makes you lose any credibility.
You and all your Leftist Trump hater friends are literally here 24/7 bashing and blaming Trump/Republicans for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 AM

11,776 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You are just making stuff up in your head.

I have not seen anyone who calls themselves left say this.

You shouldn't make stuff up -- it makes you lose any credibility.
They aren't making stuff up - this is what the left routinely does and has been doing for quite some time. Repubs do it too - blame the other guy - unfortunately it happens less often with repubs because they believe we shouldn't have all these handouts to begin with.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You and all your Leftist Trump hater friends are literally here 24/7 bashing and blaming Trump/Republicans for everything.
Hey -- I don't mind a good Republican -- and yes I will trash Trump forever. Can't stand him...Republicans I like -- Trump I don't.

And your point?

Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ng-mother-load

King County's daycare dilemma

Supposedly, even in 2014 the average cost of childcare for an infant at a daycare center in King County was $17,300. They can also charge what they want because they have a 24 month waiting list at some centers.

Looks like already without the full phase-in of the minimum wage increases in Washington that some parents are already complaining of $300 a month increases if they have two children.

Supposedly, the reason for the increases is the high minimum wages and state subsidies that pay far below the rate of market-rate paying parents which means that they have to increase the rates

Washington State is going to $13.50 minimum wage which of course covers child-care workers.

California will be at $15 plus all FICA taxes, UI taxes, Unemployment Training Fund Taxes, Workers Compensation taxes and also mandatory sick time which adds another 50 cents on for each hour.

Not to mention, health insurance costs.

They also hopefully have janitorial staffs and they will also have to increase the wage for them.

Looks like these parents with children in daycare have not seen anything yet as far as increases. It is also likely that daycares will have to offer more than the minimum wage because there will be other easier jobs that pay at the minimum wage.
Dems seldom look at the affects laws have in the long run.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
They aren't making stuff up - this is what the left routinely does and has been doing for quite some time. Repubs do it too - blame the other guy - unfortunately it happens less often with repubs because they believe we shouldn't have all these handouts to begin with.
Link? Show me where someone said this.

I don't make sweeping statements about people who think differently than me because I don't think those people fit into one nice little package.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Interesting but I wonder how much this is the tail wagging the dog.

Seattle and all of CA are already having severe problems with cost of living for normal skilled people in the 50-100K range.
No they really aren't.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My bad, I thought you were talking about the GOP and trumps tax bill.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Makes me wonder why people have kids, only to turn them over to a $10 an hour daycare worker who has had 40 hours of training to raise.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So much of their policies have unintended consequences they never anticipate, never thinking beyond the surface of an issue. The economy is largely based on markets, and economic equilibrium. When government artificially mandates anything like price controls, wage rates, rationing goods, etc it creates a problem. Wages should be based on market rates, not government rates. The number of employees will have to be reduced to enable businesses to remain profitable. That is reality. The quality of service will suffer.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ng-mother-load

King County's daycare dilemma

Supposedly, even in 2014 the average cost of childcare for an infant at a daycare center in King County was $17,300. They can also charge what they want because they have a 24 month waiting list at some centers.

Looks like already without the full phase-in of the minimum wage increases in Washington that some parents are already complaining of $300 a month increases if they have two children.

Supposedly, the reason for the increases is the high minimum wages and state subsidies that pay far below the rate of market-rate paying parents which means that they have to increase the rates

Washington State is going to $13.50 minimum wage which of course covers child-care workers.

California will be at $15 plus all FICA taxes, UI taxes, Unemployment Training Fund Taxes, Workers Compensation taxes and also mandatory sick time which adds another 50 cents on for each hour.

Not to mention, health insurance costs.

They also hopefully have janitorial staffs and they will also have to increase the wage for them.

Looks like these parents with children in daycare have not seen anything yet as far as increases. It is also likely that daycares will have to offer more than the minimum wage because there will be other easier jobs that pay at the minimum wage.
Sounds like a supply/demand issue to me.

1) At the 2014 minimum wage, there weren't enough day care workers, because, as you note, there are easier minimum-wage jobs out there. Yet licensed daycare businesses had a waiting list.
2) Note that the minimum wage increase was passed in 2016. Two years after 2014. It will be $11.50 in 2018.

Obviously there are more people who want the service than there are people offering it.

Now I don't doubt that the minimum wage increase will contribute to the problem. But the fact is that daycare cannot be outsourced. We have a high COL here, and daycare workers don't get a pass on paying rent. Here on the island where I live, there are employers who pay the daily ferry fare (nearly $16) for their workers who live off-island because those workers can't afford island rents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Watch the Left now try to blame escalating cost of living that they created, on somebody else like Trump.

The Left is good at wanting things done their way, then when it doesn’t work, blame it on the other party.
I don't see how the increasing COL can be blamed on a particular party. LOTS of people are moving here - over 200 people a day. (https://www.geekwire.com/2016/seattl...-gain-century/) I'm not sure why you think that Seattle should be exempt from the economic fact that a booming population results in higher COL, but oh well.

I'm very glad to hear that you and other posters aren't moving here. Maybe if enough people start feeling that way, fewer people will move in, and our COL will stabilize.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-12-2018 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies