Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Obviously it didn't work for everyone. Or we'd still be doing it.
The decay of the social construct is accelerating.
Children raising children, with no daddy... has its consequences.
The sexual revolution backfired and now you got the Meetoo deal, to get back to respecting women and not just looking at them as sexual slaves, hit it and quit it.

The Patriarchy is making a comeback. Less women identify as a feminist today, than 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,558 times
This isn't a partisan issue so I'm not sure why there are so many people coming out to bash the left on this.

Bottom line is, if parents had access to affordable and reliable child care options it would be easier for mothers to work outside the home which would in turn raise GDP and address the men vs women pay disparity.

The pay raises are great for the caregivers, I'm all for having quality care, however, we need to find a way to subsidize it like in other countries. Instead of throwing another 94 BILLION dollars at the military, let's take some of that money and put it towards making our country truly better.

Seriously, do we need more money to be the world police force or to upgrade our military in the name of some stupid arms race? We got enough military might to destroy this world many times over. We need to be smarter about our money, not flex our muscles and ignore what's happening at home - crumbling infrastructure, healthcare debacle and a huge income inequality.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
No, I am a woman. I chose to work. I send my child to daycare (and at one time my two children). We had to sacrifice to pay for daycare which is very expensive. My point is that we cannot expect people to care for our children for less than minimum wage pay. Some people believe 200 a week is what daycare should cost. That is 40 dollars a day. So basically saying that 4 dollars an hour is what these people want to pay for others to watch their child. I do not believe 100 dollars a day is that much when we are talking about caring for our children. I, for one, do not want underpaid, unhappy people watching my child.

Nancy Pelosi, is that you? The wealthy are so out of touch with reality of making it.
Not everyone has been privileged enough to be as wealthy as you. Yet you want to think for them.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
People who cannot afford daycare have one parent (usually the mom) stay at home and take care of the children.

It's really that simple, and it's been that way for ages.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The decay of the social construct is accelerating.
Children raising children, with no daddy... has its consequences.
The sexual revolution backfired and now you got the Meetoo deal, to get back to respecting women and not just looking at them as sexual slaves, hit it and quit it.

The Patriarchy is making a comeback. Less women identify as a feminist today, than 30 years ago.
I doubt that most women will want to go back to be being daddy's little housewife rather than wanting to go to college and get real jobs. Whether they call themselves feminists or not.

Quote:
That is what the daddy was for in the genetic family unit.
A roof over your head, clothes on your back and food in your belly, all while owning 1/2 his crap and all the poontang to get everything they want. The patriarchy worked.
I doubt there are many housewives who think of themselves as freely accessible "poontang". Whether they call themselves feminists or not. In fact, men who think of their wives as "poontang" are a huge incentive for women to get a good job so they can dump the *******.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-12-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,199 times
Quote:
Nancy Pelosi, is that you? The wealthy are so out of touch with reality of making it.
Not everyone has been privileged enough to be as wealthy as you. Yet you want to think for them.
LOL, not Nancy! Not even a liberal. I am all for subsidized daycare, however, I would not use it myself. I also don't complain that I have to pay 2200 a month for my childs daycare. Its an expense I am willing to pay a high amount for so that my daughter gets good care and young education. I would be worried that daycares subsidized by our government would stink just like all other things that our government gets involved in do. If it helps others that are less fortunate than me than I am all for it.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
No, I am a woman. I chose to work. I send my child to daycare (and at one time my two children). We had to sacrifice to pay for daycare which is very expensive. My point is that we cannot expect people to care for our children for less than minimum wage pay. Some people believe 200 a week is what daycare should cost. That is 40 dollars a day. So basically saying that 4 dollars an hour is what these people want to pay for others to watch their child. I do not believe 100 dollars a day is that much when we are talking about caring for our children. I, for one, do not want underpaid, unhappy people watching my child.
One should note.......the COL is very different depending on what part of the country you live in. Your example is not really factual either. There are not 1:1 ratio's between care givers and kids.

$40 a day times 6 kids (I do not know the ratio exactly) would be $24 an hour. With that in mind, for a higher COL area like Seattle, the care givers making $13 an hour, really isn't out of line.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People who cannot afford daycare have one parent (usually the mom) stay at home and take care of the children.

It's really that simple, and it's been that way for ages.
Sometimes it ISN'T about the money, or being able to "afford" daycare. It is about who you want raising your children. You, or some stranger?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One should note.......the COL is very different depending on what part of the country you live in. Your example is not really factual either. There are not 1:1 ratio's between care givers and kids.

$40 a day times 6 kids (I do not know the ratio exactly) would be $24 an hour. With that in mind, for a higher COL area like Seattle, the care givers making $13 an hour, really isn't out of line.
Yes, I understand but personally if you are paying 200 a week then you individually are paying 4 bucks an hour for care for your child, which is hardly a lot.
Also, daycare centers (not home daycares) also have to pay for directors, food (most provide 2 healthy hot meals), cleaning, toys, learning centers with smart boards and computers etc.. all of that needs to be paid for somehow. The teachers and assistants do not make all that is paid by the parents.
Home daycares also have overhead that needs to be paid for above teacher wages.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 AM

1,330 posts, read 698,507 times
I've always found it strange that we have public schools that educate kids from ages 5-18, but pretty much nothing from 0-5.

Last edited by illinoisphotographer; 02-12-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies