Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What is vice news trying to accomplish here? Any sane liberals wanna comment? Anyone notice that that “woman of color” was a smooth chocolate Milk color? Wonder what she thinks of her white parent?
What makes you say that she has a white parent? Are you denying the horrible acts of rape that took place between slave owners and their slaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, a bunch of women form a sexually and racially segregated retreat in a foreign country based on money they made in the United States.

Sounds fabulous, I suppose.
Since when does having money equate to Happiness?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transgirl88 View Post
You should know the truth that black people claim racism far too often. It's not us white peoples fault that you black people generally sing the most degrading criminal life praising music, kill each other on the streets in gang related violence, etc all the time giving your people a bad image. Why not just grow up and be a mature person of color like most of the hard working respectable black people in the 50s did. Too many black thugs or thug wannabes these days to respect them imho just like I don't respect most inane white dudes from my generation for being equally lame.

Yeah we had a half white half black president too so it's not racist enough to prevent that I suppose.

I don't play cards either.
Actually most black people never "claim racism." I think you read/consume too much conservative media. Oftentimes, when I review their media they insinuate that black people "claim racism" when we don't. It is white people telling you what you want to hear and fueling your prejudice/racist tendencies.

Less than 5% of black people are criminals. And rap music is primarily consumed by white people so music executives (majority of whom actually are white) are the ones pushing the music both you and I probably don't like.

Our people (black Americans) have had a "bad image" since the 1700s before rap music was around lol. I'm not dumb enough to believe it just started in the 1980s when gangster rap started up (and FWIW today there is not much gangster rap anymore, many of you are confused about rap today as most of it is just sexually disgusting IMO and stupid with no storytelling anymore).

On growing up and being mature, I'm nearly 40 years old, married, my household makes over 100k annually. So I think I'm "adulting" quite well. On the 1950s, a majority of black people were poverty stricken and uneducated in the 1950s. Economically they were much worse than we are today. It is always hilarious to me that people think blacks were "better" in the 1950s. If that were the case, why were so many white Americans trying to stop them from going to the same schools as their children or live in their same neighborhoods or get good paying jobs or lynching black people (lynchings were few in the 1950s but still occurred - see Emmett Till....)

Many white Americans, such as yourself probably, never have had a good view of black Americans. Our "founding fathers" all of them believed that black people were inferior to whites. This inferiority view is an American cultural tenet and so to try to blame it all of a sudden on rap music, sorry, but it is hilarious to me.

Black people in America, since 1950 have risen in nearly every socioeconomic category imaginable, yet many of you still view us poorly. IMO that view is on you, not me. I have nothing to prove to people like you. IMO people like you need some psychological help and are naive and believe all the propaganda you see/read/consume in your lives because you are too lazy to actually read books or learn about the actual history of our country in regards to race, racism, stereotyping, and what was called even by WEB DuBois in the late 19th and early 20th centuries "white supremacy racism."

As noted earlier, I don't play "cards." I tell the truth because I'm a well read individual and don't believe everything I see, even if I agree with it, I don't believe it until I confirm myself that it is true.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 AM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with much of what you stated above but will note as a black woman, that the bold actually are common things said to black women in America by non-black people. I've been told I'm "pretty for a black girl/woman" before by white people, mostly when I was a little girl. I've heard people say it to my mom as well, both black and white. The black people told her she was "pretty even though she was dark skinned" so these are common things. It is also common that people say we don't exercise, run, engage in physical activity, etc. I remember one that was really funny to me was a former supervisor of mine when I was younger exclaimed surprise that black people in general went to bowling alleys and bowled lol! When she said this, all the other white people also admitted they were surprised. To me that showed a lot of silliness on their parts especially considering my entire family have been bowling forever and have been involved in league play for over 60-70 years from that point in my life. It's actually pretty amazing and ridiculous the things white people say to us as black women and black people in general.
Please allow me to interject here ..... now I have’t researched the matter of the ethnic makeup of bowlers in general, LOL, nor have I spent much time recently in bowling alleys. But if I had to make a wild guess, I’d wager that the percentage of the black population frequenting bowling alleys would be quite small ... probably similar to a sport to which I am very familiar ... golf ... which, in my experience also has a very small following among black people. I don’t believe it is remotely racist of me, or anyone else, who makes such generally accurate observations.

Quote:
I'll also note that I do believe that race and racism in America is unique to our nation. I've not been everywhere but do consider myself pretty well traveled. IMO race does have a hand in the discrimination, treatment, economic, and educational position of black Americans in this country. Finances have a hand in it as well, but race is a factor in America and it does play a huge hand in our position and treatment in this country across all income levels - this is especially the case in regards to police abuse/harrassment and health disparities - both of these, it doesn't matter what the income levels of blacks are in America, we are still more likely to have issues in these subjects.
Now, this is where I may unintentionally offend some folks, but we really need a lot more honesty if these issues you cite are to ever be improved.

First, I agree with you that black people suffer poorer systems of education, and have greater difficulties in interactions with law enforcement. But, this is an issue never honestly discussed regarding the REAL REASONS why this is true. Of course, it’s much easier to blame “racism” ... the popular catch all excuse has been so “conditioned” into the mindsets of most black people, it’s an accepted reality. But there is another side to this story few black people have the courage to confront, because it would require a level of personal responsibility within the black community that few have been willing to own.

On the education side, I feel qualified to speak with authority based on my direct, first hand experience, as I grew up in the age of “desegregation... commonly referred to at that time as “bussing”. While the result of this program designed by liberal lunatics was an unmitigated disaster, the premise was that if more white kids were bussed into predominantly black schools, and a requisite number of black kids were bussed to predominantly white schools, this educational disparity would correct itself. Nothing could have been more hopelessly misguided. The theory was solely based on the same racism premise, yet the results proved this to be false. My personal experience attending a predominantly black school was DAILY racist persecution and threats of violence that I had never before experienced as a young child. Needless to say, any form of education was impossible in such a hostile environment, except of course being thoroughly educated on the true flavor of actual racism! As I vividly recall, every hallway thoughout this school were lined, end to end with portraits of prominent historical black figures ... this place was more like an African art museum than a freaking elementary school .... nary a token reference to any white historical person ... not a president, not an inventor, entertainer .... nothing. On the other side of the equation... those black kids bussed to my former school, while probably just as anxious and fearful of this drastic change as we white kids were, didn’t suffer the same fate ... they were treated as guests .... not as targets of violence. I know, because I returned to my neighborhood school a few weeks later, after my parents raised holly hell regarding the dangerous environment I was subjected to, so I saw first hand, the drastic differences. I know this doesn’t fit the common narrative of white racism ... but that’s because the narrative is totally false and self serving. The facts suggest a deep seated, high level of racial animosity dominating the mindset of black youngsters, no doubt coming from their parents, and authority figures.

This leads to the issue of law enforcement interactions, and why I feel the debate is so skewed. Of course there are racist cops. And certainly we have the media focus that never fails to headline every example of such behavior. But I can tell you with absolute certainty and honesty that while such undesirable interactions with LE are more often experienced by blacks, such experiences are not exclusive to blacks. Cops in general ... from my experience, carry with them a certain US versus THEM mentality to begin with. Given the inherent dangers of the job, it’s not difficult to understand why they view everyone as a potential threat, until proven otherwise, because their lives might be in greater jeopardy if they didn’t. That doesn’t excuse poor behavior of police, but it does explain it. Couple this trained mindset with the exponentially higher rates of crime within the black community, as compared to predominately white communities (this is a fact born out and proven by national crime statistic data, and the fact that while blacks make up 15% of the general population, they make up 70% of the incarcerated population in our prisons) one should naturally expect that police operating in high crime areas will absolutely behave differently than they might in low crime areas. Doesn’t take a psychic to predict that reality.

That said, we can agree that racial profiling, and LE behavior differs greatly in their interaction with black people, as compared to whites. What I’m suggesting here ... you surely don’t want to admit, is that it is less due to endemic racism of the individuals in LE, and more to do with the greater levels of violent criminal conduct within the black community at large, which creates a lot, not all, of these more aggressive behaviors.

We could debate the inherent causes of these higher crime rates, endlessly. The popular theme is of course systemic, institutionalized racism, and the subsequent economic disparity suffered by blacks which forces them to engage in drug trafficking and armed robbery due to lack of economic opportunities. But this just comes full circle back to the refusal to accept responsibility, choosing instead to claim innocent victim hood at the hands of white racism and white privilege.

Quote:
On having an "awakening" by travel, I do feel traveling opened my eyes up to the fact that race relations/issues in America are unique to our country. DR has issues with race as well based on colorism and ethnicity (see their discriminatory treatment of Haitians decades old - even though both countries have their issues with each other). Jamaica also has colorism issues.

Colorism can be just as damaging as white supremacy racism and as a black American who has traveled I do recognize the fact that colonialism spread the idealogy of white supremacy across the globe and many people of all ethnic backgrounds and nations invest in that ideology and perpetuate it. We have examples in America whereas black people are very racist against each other as well and treat each other poorly and much of that activity is rooted in the ideology of white supremacy. IMO it is very similar in the Caribbean and in S. American countries and in African countries. It is even evident in Asian countries to an extent IMO. But as noted, it is not the same. I've been to many other countries and in the Caribbean especially the main white people I've intereacted with were from S. American countries or from Germany. Germans are cool, interesting people and I've never experienced comments from them like I have from white Americans noted above. I also never experienced it from whites from S. America or other countries from Europe. I will note though that I've done a lot of traveling in Canada, primarily Ontario because I live near there and I've met lots of British people while touring historical sites in Canada and they always want to talk about slavery to me lol. It is weird. But I chalk it up to the fact that I am usually touring some place associated with the UGGR and I am usually the only black person there and when they find out I'm American, they want to go on and on about slavery even if I tell them that whatever location we are touring, I'm interested in because my ancestors have roots in SE Ontario and they were not slaves prior to going there - they were "free people of color." Many of them have never heard of free people of color.
I really don’t understand what you mean by “colorism”, especially when you also mention Jamaica, given its dominant black population. Nor can I legitimately comment on the supposed differences between how black people are treated abroad compared to here in the United States, since I’m a white guy ... but accepting the premise as true, one might also call upon the fact that there are countless cultural differences among the vast number of countries worldwide in comparison to here in the US. One could also surmise and predict that regardless of skin color, US persons visiting other countries are there as tourists, and will experience different treatment than they would at home, given that tourists are first and foremost a source of valuable revenue, where the color green is far more important than black or white.

I would also like to point out that while slavery was officially outlawed in the US 150+ years ago, there still remains counties to this day, practicing institutionalized slavery, and other countries who only outlawed the practice in the middle to late 20th century.

Furthermore, while there has been such tremendous progress made in the area of racial equality, in terms of advances in economic and educational opportunities for all minorities, the level of racial animosity seems to be increasing noticeably... heading toward racial warfare, if truth be told. And this is so counter productive to course taken many decades ago, one must suspect deliberate efforts to facilitate that tension ... and there are no shortages of mind numbing examples, which would require far more space than one lengthy post here to begin citing. But a much more telling example than the video subject depicted at the beginning of this OP, is this recently revealed genocidal depiction of a black woman with knife in one hand, and the severed head of a white woman in the other ... at least two examples of this scene painted by the artist commissioned by Obama to paint his portrait to be hung in the National Museum.

Fact is, there is a full blown war raging against white people today ... constant talk of “white privilege”, religious figures and others suggesting killing whites in mass, university professors preaching about white racism and fascism ... ANTIFA .... Black Lives Matter groups, and the list goes on. We have multimillionaire black athletes taking a knee during the national anthem all over the country ... we have a Black POTUS being photographed smiling with a racist, anti Semite Nation Of Islam leader ... I’ll stop here .... you get the drift ....

But from a white person’s perspective, I can tell you that we are growing very tired of being targeted as the primary culprits in what is actually a failure of the black community to own their own problems, and it’s refusal to take any ramount of personal responsibility whatsoever.

The hard cold reality is that the Powers That Be, benefit from the racial divisions they are creating, and the useful idiots that buy into this are simply pawns in a game they’re clueless about. Preying upon the lower instincts, these PTB are the sellers of this propaganda, because a population divided are far easier to control, than a population united in a common cause to better our collective lives, and the future of our children will be the greater casualty should we be stupid enough to continue down that path.

One easy step toward sanity might be to admit that those black men in federal prison aren’t there because they are black ... they are there because they robbed a GD Bank, or murdered someone. Then, and only then can we expect others to admit they received a speeding ticket because they were doing 60 in a 40mph zone ... not because they were “driving while black”.

This in turn will allow everyone to engage in honest debate, and address real issues of racism, and find solutions. Right now that type of legitimate dialog is impossible in the face of such blantantly illegitimate charges of institutionalized racism, for which the Democrat party is the primary promoter, because their very existence and relevance depends on that narrative. The reality is, other than the European slave ships of the 1700’s, black people have never had a greater enemy than today’s Democratic Party, whose political lives depend on their false image of the champions of minorities.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t think these women have trouble attracting a man. Some are very beautiful.
Attracting a man is not a problem. Attracting a DECENT, QUALITY man, now that's a different story.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Please allow me to interject here ..... now I have’t researched the matter of the ethnic makeup of bowlers in general, LOL, nor have I spent much time recently in bowling alleys. But if I had to make a wild guess, I’d wager that the percentage of the black population frequenting bowling alleys would be quite small ... probably similar to a sport to which I am very familiar ... golf ... which, in my experience also has a very small following among black people. I don’t believe it is remotely racist of me, or anyone else, who makes such generally accurate observations.

On the bold. You would be wrong.

FYI - black people bowl in large numbers. I live in NW Ohio and nearly every black person I know goes to the bowling alley at least once a month and a significant amount of the black people I know are in bowling leagues and have been since at least the 1950s. Bowling has been very popular with black people since the 1930s and 1940s.

I've lived in 7 other different cities and in all those places, black people frequently bowled because bowling alleys have bars and food and are a fun place to go hang out with friends.

I also didn't say it was "racist" that my old supervisor thought black people didn't bowl, just that it was an example of the way people stereotype others and say/think idiotic things based on skin color.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
P
Now, this is where I may unintentionally offend some folks, but we really need a lot more honesty if these issues you cite are to ever be improved.

First, I agree with you that black people suffer poorer systems of education, and have greater difficulties in interactions with law enforcement. But, this is an issue never honestly discussed regarding the REAL REASONS why this is true. Of course, it’s much easier to blame “racism” ... the popular catch all excuse has been so “conditioned” into the mindsets of most black people, it’s an accepted reality. But there is another side to this story few black people have the courage to confront, because it would require a level of personal responsibility within the black community that few have been willing to own.

On the education side, I feel qualified to speak with authority based on my direct, first hand experience, as I grew up in the age of “desegregation... commonly referred to at that time as “bussing”. While the result of this program designed by liberal lunatics was an unmitigated disaster, the premise was that if more white kids were bussed into predominantly black schools, and a requisite number of black kids were bussed to predominantly white schools, this educational disparity would correct itself. Nothing could have been more hopelessly misguided. The theory was solely based on the same racism premise, yet the results proved this to be false. My personal experience attending a predominantly black school was DAILY racist persecution and threats of violence that I had never before experienced as a young child. Needless to say, any form of education was impossible in such a hostile environment, except of course being thoroughly educated on the true flavor of actual racism! As I vividly recall, every hallway thoughout this school were lined, end to end with portraits of prominent historical black figures ... this place was more like an African art museum than a freaking elementary school .... nary a token reference to any white historical person ... not a president, not an inventor, entertainer .... nothing. On the other side of the equation... those black kids bussed to my former school, while probably just as anxious and fearful of this drastic change as we white kids were, didn’t suffer the same fate ... they were treated as guests .... not as targets of violence. I know, because I returned to my neighborhood school a few weeks later, after my parents raised holly hell regarding the dangerous environment I was subjected to, so I saw first hand, the drastic differences. I know this doesn’t fit the common narrative of white racism ... but that’s because the narrative is totally false and self serving. The facts suggest a deep seated, high level of racial animosity dominating the mindset of black youngsters, no doubt coming from their parents, and authority figures.
On the bold above, not sure why you don't believe these issues have never been honestly addressed in regards to education.

Education in our country, other than the forced bussing you mentioned above (which I'll speak to below) has always been about where you live, you go to school. A legacy of redlining and institutional racism is housing patterns we see today and that legacy concentrated poverty in specific areas, many of which poor black people still live in today and those areas have the worst public schools. So they are still dealing with the legacy of housing discrimination and its effect on the educational system and quality of educators in those schools.

On bussing, contrary to what you may believe, because,again, too often people have a very narrow, silly view of black people - a large amount of black Americans, including myself do believe that bussing was not a solution to the issues regarding education and housing discrimination in the past.

I and other black people knowlegable about the subject, I'm sure have a different perspective than what you shared above, so I will give you the gist below of what a large amound of knowledgeable/learned black people know about our educational system; its history of the modern era and current state:

• Integration took highly qualified black educators out of predominantly black schools and replaced them with white teachers who oftentimes did not believe that black people were intellectually capable of learning (many white teachers and I'll note they are primarily liberal in case you think I'm some sort of liberal supporter of education pity black students and don't challenge them like they should).
  • Black principals were also removed from black schools which caused, to this day, mistrust between parents and administrations
  • Black students were bussed to predominantly white schools in areas that did not want them to attend those schools (think Boston, again if you think I'm some sort of liberal supporter - the whites in Boston did not want black people in their schools - look up some old videos - how do you think those black students fared having similar vitriol and hate directed towards them by teachers, students, and administrators in those schools). They experienced hate and alienation and hostility like you describe above but unfortunately many of those kids, their families, unlike yours, had no choice because in northern cities even the black schools were sorely underfunded and didn't have the material and didn't teach to the standards of white schools (see your description of the school you attended for only a few weeks) so black parents did as black parents often do - tell their kids to suck it up and endure - resiliency is a valued trait of black American culture - and do the best they could to get where they could go, some did well, some did not but during that time they often did not have many choices, unlike wealthier white families who could make a stink and get the administration to change things or who could afford to take their kids out of the public system and put them in private schools.
  • Last, the concept of "acting white" was not a part of the black American experience until integration and forced bussing occurred. Prior to that occurring being an intellectual and doing well in school was never a race based thing and was very highly valued in black America. It only came to be so and only endures in schools where black students are a minority contrary to what people believe today. There are many schools that to this day are 98% black that are very high performing and where that phrase is not uttered and who usher the historical cultural tenet of black intellectualism.
On the bold, that may have been your school in regards to "guests" but I highly doubt it. Any extreme minority IMO will be treated poorly by the majority.

Will note, I specifically mentioned that race and racism has a deep history in America. I think you would agree. I also specifically mentioned that no matter the income level there is more discrimination that black people deal with in regards to the criminal justice system and in healthcare. I'd add in education as well, but that depends on the area. The other two are nationwide. Income does not matter much in regards to those because of racial bias - stereotyping meaning that people believe certain things about specific people based on what they look like. Black people no matter their income are thought more often to be criminals. Black people no matter their income are thought to not feel pain by medical providers as much as other people or who easily heal after giving birth for instance - yet blacks are abused/harrassed to a high extent by police and black mothers are the demographic that suffers the most from maternal post partum and maternity mortality.

I am not speaking of you or other white people being "racist" like you belive I am. I am speaking of you having bias. Everyone has biases but white people and other Americans have a lot of biases against blacks in this country and as a result we are treated differently and have to endure a lot of silly questions and comments.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I really don’t understand what you mean by “colorism”, especially when you also mention Jamaica, given its dominant black population. Nor can I legitimately comment on the supposed differences between how black people are treated abroad compared to here in the United States, since I’m a white guy ... but accepting the premise as true, one might also call upon the fact that there are countless cultural differences among the vast number of countries worldwide in comparison to here in the US. One could also surmise and predict that regardless of skin color, US persons visiting other countries are there as tourists, and will experience different treatment than they would at home, given that tourists are first and foremost a source of valuable revenue, where the color green is far more important than black or white.

I would also like to point out that while slavery was officially outlawed in the US 150+ years ago, there still remains counties to this day, practicing institutionalized slavery, and other countries who only outlawed the practice in the middle to late 20th century.
On the bold, you don't understand colorism because you are not black. I don't say that to be harsh but you have no experience with it so don't know about it.

Colorism is basically valuing lighter skinned people versus darker skinned people. In America lighter blacks have always had an advantage over darker because the lighter ones were not considered as threatening as the darker skinned persons. Also lighter skinned persons were considered to be "more white" so more valued by people in society.

There is colorism in every country that has a history of colonization and enslavement, which includes all of the places that people of the African diaspora live, including in the Caribbean and S. America.

Not sure if you've ever read the book "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. Here is a synopsis of a story he shared in that book regarding his mother who is Jamaican which speaks to their colorism in that country, which still occurs today:

Quote:
Gladwell gives a bit of history to describe elements that contributed to his mother’s ability to succeed and go to school. When his mother was a child, riots and unrest in the region persuaded Britain—their sovereign at the time—to make a series of reforms. One of the reforms was offering scholarships to expensive schools to any good students on the island. Both Malcolm’s mother and aunt applied; his aunt got a scholarship but his mother did not at first. However, through pure luck, another girl ended up with two scholarships and the second was given to Joyce. Then his aunt got a scholarship to a London college, whereas his mother did not. To get money to pay for Joyce’s trip to England, her mother borrowed money from a shopkeeper.
However, this is not the entire story of Malcolm’s mother’s success. Gladwell backtracks to describe a very particular social phenomenon in Jamaica in which people with lighter skin were given more advantages than were people with darker skin. This came to be during Jamaica’s slave plantation history. Slave owners often had children with their black slaves; those children were given preferential treatment and allowed to be house slaves instead of working in the fields. This afforded them education, societal mannerisms, and further advantages from that point on. The lighter your skin was, the more privileges you were given, both socially and through the law.
Although slavery no longer exists in Jamaica, because of the long-standing history that Jamaica has with skin-color preferences, darker-skinned Jamaicans are discriminated against. Gladwell’s family had a long line of lighter-skinned ancestors, which enabled future family members to have more success. Daisy and Joyce both were very light-skinned. He ties this to their ability to secure funding to get Joyce to England when there was no money; the shopkeeper most likely would not have lent the money to a darker-skinned Jamaican.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Furthermore, while there has been such tremendous progress made in the area of racial equality, in terms of advances in economic and educational opportunities for all minorities, the level of racial animosity seems to be increasing noticeably... heading toward racial warfare, if truth be told. And this is so counter productive to course taken many decades ago, one must suspect deliberate efforts to facilitate that tension ... and there are no shortages of mind numbing examples, which would require far more space than one lengthy post here to begin citing. But a much more telling example than the video subject depicted at the beginning of this OP, is this recently revealed genocidal depiction of a black woman with knife in one hand, and the severed head of a white woman in the other ... at least two examples of this scene painted by the artist commissioned by Obama to paint his portrait to be hung in the National Museum.

Fact is, there is a full blown war raging against white people today ... constant talk of “white privilege”, religious figures and others suggesting killing whites in mass, university professors preaching about white racism and fascism ... ANTIFA .... Black Lives Matter groups, and the list goes on. We have multimillionaire black athletes taking a knee during the national anthem all over the country ... we have a Black POTUS being photographed smiling with a racist, anti Semite Nation Of Islam leader ... I’ll stop here .... you get the drift ....

But from a white person’s perspective, I can tell you that we are growing very tired of being targeted as the primary culprits in what is actually a failure of the black community to own their own problems, and it’s refusal to take any ramount of personal responsibility whatsoever.

The hard cold reality is that the Powers That Be, benefit from the racial divisions they are creating, and the useful idiots that buy into this are simply pawns in a game they’re clueless about. Preying upon the lower instincts, these PTB are the sellers of this propaganda, because a population divided are far easier to control, than a population united in a common cause to better our collective lives, and the future of our children will be the greater casualty should we be stupid enough to continue down that path.

One easy step toward sanity might be to admit that those black men in federal prison aren’t there because they are black ... they are there because they robbed a GD Bank, or murdered someone. Then, and only then can we expect others to admit they received a speeding ticket because they were doing 60 in a 40mph zone ... not because they were “driving while black”.

This in turn will allow everyone to engage in honest debate, and address real issues of racism, and find solutions. Right now that type of legitimate dialog is impossible in the face of such blantantly illegitimate charges of institutionalized racism, for which the Democrat party is the primary promoter, because their very existence and relevance depends on that narrative. The reality is, other than the European slave ships of the 1700’s, black people have never had a greater enemy than today’s Democratic Party, whose political lives depend on their false image of the champions of minorities.
I am well aware of the history of slavery in this nation and it still being around today and would advise you that you saying these things to a black person, is again, something I consider a silly/ridiculous thing a white person would tell me. I don't mean to offend you by that, but it is silly of you to think I don't know when slavery ended here or that I don't know it still occurs worldwide. Also, I did not even bring up slavery. Usually in conversations such as these, it is the white person (such as yourself) who brings up slavery (like you did). You've been around here a while and I know I've said multiple times on this forum that the period after Reconstruction is the one that wrought the most damage to the black demographic, not slavery. If our demographic would have been left to advance naturally without being denied our rights as afforded by the constitution, then we would not have the legacies I spoke of earlier to deal with.

On the other portions of the above, IMO they are from a partisan perspective on your part. It IMO is ridiculous to believe the blue. Flat out ridiculous and very silly and IMO indicative of someone who consumes too much propaganda that you would think someone is warring with you as a white man. Saying whites have a "privilege" is not a war or an attack. You are making a mountain of a molehill.

Also institutionalized racism for the most part is a thing of the past, as I've noted; however, its legacy is still lurking in our country and for you to think it is not, when housing discrimination only waned a great deal starting in 1980 is another silly thing to me and is indicative of not knowing much about the history of housing discrimination in this country between 1964 and 1980.

From a black person's perspective, I can tell you that the main thing I think you as a white man is having a hard time dealing with is the fact that black people and other groups no longer care much about what you want/think. I personally don't care much about what anyone thinks except my husband and my close friends and family and most of them on these sorts of issues are similar to my own thought process.

I agree a criminal deserves to be in prison; however, a black executive driving a car doesn't deserve to be treated like they are a prisoner. Leave them alone and I'm fine with the bank robber staying in prison - send the murderers, rapist, child molesters, etc., there as well, just make sure you have the right person.

On your Democratic party thing - again, that is you being too involved in propaganda media. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are of any benefit to any of us in this country IMO no matter your ethnic roots. All politicians are liars and are out for their own bottom line.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM

89 posts, read 66,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold above, not sure why you don't believe these issues have never been honestly addressed in regards to education.

Education in our country, other than the forced bussing you mentioned above (which I'll speak to below) has always been about where you live, you go to school. A legacy of redlining and institutional racism is housing patterns we see today and that legacy concentrated poverty in specific areas, many of which poor black people still live in today and those areas have the worst public schools. So they are still dealing with the legacy of housing discrimination and its effect on the educational system and quality of educators in those schools.

On bussing, contrary to what you may believe, because,again, too often people have a very narrow, silly view of black people - a large amount of black Americans, including myself do believe that bussing was not a solution to the issues regarding education and housing discrimination in the past.

I and other black people knowlegable about the subject, I'm sure have a different perspective than what you shared above, so I will give you the gist below of what a large amound of knowledgeable/learned black people know about our educational system; its history of the modern era and current state:

• Integration took highly qualified black educators out of predominantly black schools and replaced them with white teachers who oftentimes did not believe that black people were intellectually capable of learning (many white teachers and I'll note they are primarily liberal in case you think I'm some sort of liberal supporter of education pity black students and don't challenge them like they should).
  • Black principals were also removed from black schools which caused, to this day, mistrust between parents and administrations
  • Black students were bussed to predominantly white schools in areas that did not want them to attend those schools (think Boston, again if you think I'm some sort of liberal supporter - the whites in Boston did not want black people in their schools - look up some old videos - how do you think those black students fared having similar vitriol and hate directed towards them by teachers, students, and administrators in those schools). They experienced hate and alienation and hostility like you describe above but unfortunately many of those kids, their families, unlike yours, had no choice because in northern cities even the black schools were sorely underfunded and didn't have the material and didn't teach to the standards of white schools (see your description of the school you attended for only a few weeks) so black parents did as black parents often do - tell their kids to suck it up and endure - resiliency is a valued trait of black American culture - and do the best they could to get where they could go, some did well, some did not but during that time they often did not have many choices, unlike wealthier white families who could make a stink and get the administration to change things or who could afford to take their kids out of the public system and put them in private schools.
  • Last, the concept of "acting white" was not a part of the black American experience until integration and forced bussing occurred. Prior to that occurring being an intellectual and doing well in school was never a race based thing and was very highly valued in black America. It only came to be so and only endures in schools where black students are a minority contrary to what people believe today. There are many schools that to this day are 98% black that are very high performing and where that phrase is not uttered and who usher the historical cultural tenet of black intellectualism.
On the bold, that may have been your school in regards to "guests" but I highly doubt it. Any extreme minority IMO will be treated poorly by the majority.

Will note, I specifically mentioned that race and racism has a deep history in America. I think you would agree. I also specifically mentioned that no matter the income level there is more discrimination that black people deal with in regards to the criminal justice system and in healthcare. I'd add in education as well, but that depends on the area. The other two are nationwide. Income does not matter much in regards to those because of racial bias - stereotyping meaning that people believe certain things about specific people based on what they look like. Black people no matter their income are thought more often to be criminals. Black people no matter their income are thought to not feel pain by medical providers as much as other people or who easily heal after giving birth for instance - yet blacks are abused/harrassed to a high extent by police and black mothers are the demographic that suffers the most from maternal post partum and maternity mortality.

I am not speaking of you or other white people being "racist" like you belive I am. I am speaking of you having bias. Everyone has biases but white people and other Americans have a lot of biases against blacks in this country and as a result we are treated differently and have to endure a lot of silly questions and comments.

Holy crap I researched a lot of what you said and I was mistaken on a lot of points specifically the music aspect, though I am not mistaken in everything. Thanks for teaching me something new... sorry for the very negative tone in my messages. I'm busy or else I'd post more but I guess I have not much else to say but that I'm sorry for some of the things I said.

Have a good day.

Last edited by Transgirl88; 02-15-2018 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies