Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Power lines, at least the central core of the system, have to remain above ground for technical reasons which the lesser-educated part of the public refuses to acknowledge, and this is going to be a problem whenever complicated issues are turned over to an ignorant, self-centered public, and the unscrupulous politicians who pander to them.

This sort of thing is going to happen over and over again when the whims of those who can't tell "hard science" from "junk science"are given an unrealistic priority.

No, they don't.

Here in NYC for all of Manhattan and in some other areas power lines have been underground for decades.

As with everything else there are both pluses and minuses to both above and underground utility lines.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/us/un...rnd/index.html

In late 1800s, New York City buried wires after natural disaster - tribunedigital-baltimoresun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
College costs are out of control because the government guarantees the loans and they're not easy to discharge in bankruptcy. Change that, and school would cost a lot less.

I spent 6 years working on a bachelors. Every time I thought I figured out what I wanted to do, I was wrong and had to change. Finally finished simply because I had enough so I graduated with what I could quickest with what I had. Don't need the piece of paper anyhow. Personally think all kids should do some sort of civil service program for a couple years after high school. Get out and see the world, serve your country, and then they can have their education paid for.

We do need more tradesmen. I'm dying over here trying to hire more carpenters. Shortage of plumbers, electricians, etc. Many of whom make more than someone fresh out of college with just journeymans license.
We could ship you some illegals which is who're taking those jobs here for the most part...

Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
College cost the same whether you have government loans or pay cash....ask me how I know.....
That government guarantee inflates the costs... costs for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We could ship you some illegals which is who're taking those jobs here for the most part...
At this point I'd take any thing that's hard working. I got my dog a belt so he can run tools around.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wait, why should we even be dealing with this? Didn't Obama and his shovel ready stimulus take care of this?

Oh, nope sorry, he laughed directly in your faces....and the left cheered....
Just about every American uses stimulus funded projects every day - from airports to bridges to airports to solar arrays, there are thousands of projects. I looked up just a few in the places I live and visit. Just the local bikepaths, one of which is used by 200K people per year.....stim built that. It built dozens of others, runways, etc.

I really wonder if people just repeat propaganda or if they have ever done their research. These were real project which provided real jobs and helped people when unemployment was high - and the country is much better off for it. The only problem with the stim was that it should have been bigger (of course, the GOP whittled it down, but have no problem spending twice as much to give billionaires tax cuts.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
That government guarantee inflates the costs... costs for everyone.

At this point I'd take any thing that's hard working. I got my dog a belt so he can run tools around.
And that's why we have some of the problems we do... I get that lack of bodies is making doing business hard on some employers in the trades but that never used to be an issue because the trades paid a good wage until said wages were deflated with cheap (illegal) labor.

That made the builders happy as they could reap more profits from each building, didn't have to give a damn about the worker or pay the usual costs/risks associated with having a legal employee.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And that's why we have some of the problems we do... I get that lack of bodies is making doing business hard on some employers in the trades but that never used to be an issue because the trades paid a good wage until said wages were deflated with cheap (illegal) labor.

That made the builders happy as they could reap more profits from each building, didn't have to give a damn about the worker or pay the usual costs/risks associated with having a legal employee.
Wages aren't deflated here for these industries. There's not enough people willing/capable to do the work. We don't really have illegals, we're 95% white here still.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:40 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Just about every American uses stimulus funded projects every day - from airports to bridges to airports to solar arrays, there are thousands of projects. I looked up just a few in the places I live and visit. Just the local bikepaths, one of which is used by 200K people per year.....stim built that. It built dozens of others, runways, etc.

I really wonder if people just repeat propaganda or if they have ever done their research. These were real project which provided real jobs and helped people when unemployment was high - and the country is much better off for it. The only problem with the stim was that it should have been bigger (of course, the GOP whittled it down, but have no problem spending twice as much to give billionaires tax cuts.

Stimulus spending not only left us with everything from paths to airports, it got people working and spending -- demand. That's what drives the economy.

Giving billionaires tax breaks is supply. Doesn't drive the economy. All it does is give Wall Street more money to play their inevitably disastrous-for-the-rest-of-us games.

In any case, Trump's latest infrastructure plan appears to be dead in the water.

Republicans now saying they don't have time to get to it. Too busy.

Who are they trying to kid?

Republicans passed a massive tax overhaul -- Tax Cuts for Billionaires -- almost overnight.

Infrastructure bill that privatized air traffic controllers? Ought to be able to knock that out in a couple late afternoons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies