Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

minimum wage should only be for 16-20 years olds, part time under twenty hours, after school pocket money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Is the working class/poor thriving anywhere ?

Anywhere the poor can easily live a comfortable life that would be considered "thriving"?
There is no standard definition of Working Class. At the highest level that would be people who work for a wage, most people.

Easy and Comfort are relative and variable terms.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they would rather whine and complain about not getting paid enough money.
Thats right how dare they demand fair wages or better working conditions the peasants need to know their place.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why work harder or learn a new skill when you can protest and get a law passed gifting you a raise?
Politicians love it too, when they pass said law they are all but guranteed votes from said recipients.
I have asked this many times and people like you don't answer my question. You only pass judgement. How does this theoretical burger flipper learn a new skill when they are busy working hard for $8/hour? They can't afford college, and even if they could, college isn't a ticket to a better job anyway. And assuming they went to college, they also have to work to pay their bills, and $8/hour is still not enough to pay them.

And what if they have children to support? That complicates matters. They sure can't support kids on $8/hour. But conservatives are allergic to spending their tax dollars on welfare benefits for people who work low paying jobs to support themselves. And they are totally against abortion so low paid workers aren't forced to support children they can't afford. And forget government subsidized contraception; that would be us helping poor people again, and we sure can't have that

But they also can't stand the thought of forcing employers (you know, the people making money off these low paid employees) to raise their wages to pay them so they can support themselves without subsisting on the government dole. So tell me, what exactly is your solution? Besides complaining, that is.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have asked this many times and people like you don't answer my question. You only pass judgement. How does this theoretical burger flipper learn a new skill when they are busy working hard for $8/hour? They can't afford college, and even if they could, college isn't a ticket to a better job anyway. And assuming they went to college, they also have to work to pay their bills, and $8/hour is still not enough to pay them.

And what if they have children to support? That complicates matters. They sure can't support kids on $8/hour. But conservatives are allergic to spending their tax dollars on welfare benefits for people who work low paying jobs to support themselves. And they are totally against abortion so low paid workers aren't forced to support children they can't afford. And forget government subsidized contraception; that would be us helping poor people again, and we sure can't have that

But they also can't stand the thought of forcing employers (you know, the people making money off these low paid employees) to raise their wages to pay them so they can support themselves without subsisting on the government dole. So tell me, what exactly is your solution? Besides complaining, that is.
There is NO guaranty of college attendance anywhere in our society. What makes anyone think that being able to go to college actually fixes anything? There are trade schools that are considerably cheaper than any college, there are jobs that allow OJT or apprenticeships.

Unfortunately getting ones hands dirty has become passé, those jobs are for "losers". Lots of people want to instantly be Elon Musk or the next game/app creator wonder kid who only has to sit in his/her basement and surf the 'net for hours upon hours and make millions right out of high school or play video games for a living.

True story, my son went to high school in a rural town where the career track was you either went to the mill and got a job on the "green chain" or some such thing, farmed if your family owned one or left and went to college never to return or went to work in a service job.
His good friend was good at math, his family/extended family were employed at the mill so that looked like where he might go except he was really good at math like his dad (who by the way had worked his way up in the mill over the years to be head electrician) and liked to mess with metals. He also saw that the mills were being shut down so long term prospects there were dim.
He went and apprenticed with a local machinist for a couple of years while a junior/senior in H.S. learning his way around laths and CNC mills and then went and scraped together some money to start his own small machine shop.

He now has a medium sized shop and is handling several government contracts and doing quite well for himself and his new family.
He was raised to not worry about getting dirty and working hard to get what you want.

Before anyone says "that was how things were years ago" let me clarify that we're talking about a 2010 H.S. graduate. Conversely, my son went to college and is now $40k in debt and working part time looking for a good job in his field or anything related.
Not what I wanted for him, I suggested being a plumber,electrician,welder or some such trade as there's no college debt and the pay/outlook is excellent right from the start as there's a shortage of trades people. What do I know, I'm just his dad...

Last edited by jimj; 02-13-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:

There is such a thing as night school , weekend school and online courses these days .
Saying a burger flipper can't learn new skills is just an excuse and we should expect more from people .
There is a ton of money for people that want to get a college degree and are low income.

Why are people having kids if they know they can't support them ? Seems like a cruel thing to do to a child.

There are certain profit margins a business like a restaurant makes . The business owner that takes all the risk needs to be able to operate the business at a profit so they don't go out of business .

You think they can afford to pay fast food workers $30hr if they wanted to ?

Whenever someone makes this argument it's clear they don't understand how a business operates or what the expenses are .
I'm not for government forcing or dictating what a private business owner should be paying their employees. Employers and employees should decide what that wage is between themselves .

Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
You volunteer somewhere doing something that interests you. Over time, you will gain a skill that an employer can use. If you enjoy that task, it will fuel you to advance in that field.

You do not have to go to college. Join an industry group that offers certifications, study the material and get certified. That can be done for under $1,000.

I have changed careers doing exactly that... well not a total change but a minor change.

Think outside of society's box.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You volunteer somewhere doing something that interests you. Over time, you will gain a skill that an employer can use. If you enjoy that task, it will fuel you to advance in that field.

You do not have to go to college. Join an industry group that offers certifications, study the material and get certified. That can be done for under $1,000.

I have changed careers doing exactly that.

Think outside of society's box.
We should expect more of everyone . I don't like this idea that people should be pigeonholed into some job forever , like some kind of caste system.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We should expect more of everyone . I don't like this idea that people should be pigeonholed into some job forever , like some kind of caste system.
People should expect more of themselves.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
People should expect more of themselves.
Yeah true. Only person that can change a person is themselves .
Nobody can force someone to change .

One should only be able to complain about a lack of opportunity if they have actually tried to take advantage of all opportunities .

It's unlikely anyone has done this as opportunities are almost unlimited in this country .

If someone complains about their crappy job but hasn't done anything to change that it's hard to feel sorry for them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies