Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Every President gets an official portrait, which hangs in the White House with the rest of the Presidents. Obama's was unveiled today, click on the thumbnail below.

I can't say I've ever seen that expression on his face. A serious glower, he looks like he's unhappy with something somebody did, and is psyching himself up for tongue-lashing the guy and punishing him. I don't recall him ever doing that in eight years of his presidency. He always looked happy, confident, faintly condescending at times, there's no doubt he is a great actor.

This painting looks like it's a portrait of his father. (No, I've never seen a picture of his father, who probably doesn't look like that at all.) But it looks like what Obama feels he himself will look like thirty years from now.

And it's probably appropriate that he seems to be sitting in the middle of a whole lot of plants that look vaguely like marijuana. His Choom Gang days never really left him.

BTW, are your hands longer than your face is tall, from your chin to the top of your head? His are, at least in that portrait.

Comment?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/a...-portrait.html
That pic looks weird. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:57 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
That pic looks weird. That is all.
I'm disappointed Michelle's portrait doesn't look better. I know, I know, I'm not an Obama fan and everyone knows it... but Michelle really is a beautiful woman (as are their daughters) and the artist did NOT do her justice. Ashy skin, angry pouting facial expression... yuck. There are just so many more flattering photos of her smiling in which she really looks beautiful. Even just give her a Mona Lisa smile, for pete's sake.

* Disclosure: My comment is a non-political statement from a hetero woman who really does appreciate beauty where it actually exists.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:14 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Which makes less sense since he's from the south side.
He's from Hawaii.

He has a house on the south side, and used to live there full time.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
He and Michelle look like they have gas. Did Valerie Jarrett approve these?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:17 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
It is the most bizarre, unprofessional painting I have ever seen.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:32 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The absolute worst 'portraits' of a former President and First Lady EVER ! Her outfit looks like some kind of tent; and why is he tip toeing thru the tulips ! Totally weird and excruciatingly poor coloring. Did We The People pay for that crapola ?
Outside CD, I heard one person mention the Wrigley Field ivy (as Wayland Woman did). The smart a** counter response of another person who was with that person.....the ivy represents Sherwood Forest .

Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I like this painting of Obama much better:

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...1024.jpg&w=480
“Barack Obama” by Edwin van den Dikkenberg.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dc2433436771

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation

Old 02-13-2018, 06:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Every President gets an official portrait, which hangs in the White House with the rest of the Presidents. Obama's was unveiled today, click on the thumbnail below.

I can't say I've ever seen that expression on his face. A serious glower, he looks like he's unhappy with something somebody did, and is psyching himself up for tongue-lashing the guy and punishing him. I don't recall him ever doing that in eight years of his presidency. He always looked happy, confident, faintly condescending at times, there's no doubt he is a great actor.

This painting looks like it's a portrait of his father. (No, I've never seen a picture of his father, who probably doesn't look like that at all.) But it looks like what Obama feels he himself will look like thirty years from now.

And it's probably appropriate that he seems to be sitting in the middle of a whole lot of plants that look vaguely like marijuana. His Choom Gang days never really left him.

BTW, are your hands longer than your face is tall, from your chin to the top of your head? His are, at least in that portrait.

Comment?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/a...-portrait.html
Make like a tree and LEAVE. OBAMA IS GONE.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I love both portraits. Anyone who isn't familiar with Kehinde Wiley's work are the only one's who think it is "strange looking" lol.

I'll admit I initially didn't like Michelle's portrait, but I had only seen a far away picture of it, close up, I think it is a beautiful portrait. Hers was painted by an alum of the HBCU I attended.

So I love both their portraits. However, I especially love Barrack's because I am a huge fan of Kehinde Wiley.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm disappointed Michelle's portrait doesn't look better. I know, I know, I'm not an Obama fan and everyone knows it... but Michelle really is a beautiful woman (as are their daughters) and the artist did NOT do her justice. Ashy skin, angry pouting facial expression... yuck. There are just so many more flattering photos of her smiling in which she really looks beautiful. Even just give her a Mona Lisa smile, for pete's sake.

* Disclosure: My comment is a non-political statement from a hetero woman who really does appreciate beauty where it actually exists.
The artist who painted Michelle's picture has a particular style and it is reflected in Michelle's portrait. I also didn't like it at first, but seeing different views of it made me like it. But I still like other works by this particular artist better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies