Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 601,877 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a logistical nightmare

Old 02-13-2018, 08:40 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,402,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many will not want to go on public assistance if their food is chosen for them.. No soda , chips, or fancy cakes.
I don't think so. The major benefit of being on assistance is the discounted housing, whether Section 8 or government housing. People will take their lumps for what they are if it gets them off of the street.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM

45,034 posts, read 26,196,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The government is not going to tell anyone what to eat.

Again, the government is not going to tell people what to eat. Right now, you can go out and get whatever food and drinks you desire if you have the money to pay for it. Literally, anything!

Have you ever seen the kids with the welfare moms shopping? Either overweight or thin as a rail, pale and usually not that clean. Same case with the mom. Unhealthy eating habits. If the school free breakfast and lunch aren't junk food too, the kids throw it away.

Exactly. These people need help making healthy choices, and this will do it. If they aren't happy with what is provided, well, tough.

Yes, I do. I suspect this came from one of the many questionnaires that Trump has sent and continues to send to see what the people, citizens, want to see. Many want this. It used to be this way. It will also put food in the house rather than having the adults exchanging the food stamp/card for drugs and alcohol, whatever else they have time and desire for.

Exactly.

This will also help them stay within the perimeters of the monthly allotment. I see them load the carts with junk food, which always ends up costing more, and then they run out of food and have to hit the "free pantries" which are being hit so hard the shelves are often empty.

Little Debbies, frozen pizza, frozen sugary pops about 40 to the box, sugared name brand cereal, soda and the deli pre-packaged area - cold roasted chicken with the stamp that it is food stamp approved (something we for most of our lives considered a luxury item).

It was done before. It is a wonderful idea. I think this will be a benefit in so many ways: 1. Don't like healthy food - get a job and buy something else, here many people work more than 1 job. 2. No more sugar and starch everything. 3. No more trading food stamp/cards for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc.

I would love a free monthly box of food! I would find a way to eat everything in the box! Unfortunately, I work and have to buy my own.

No, avoiding the "trash" food they buy. Ever follow them in the grocery store?

Poor people are already obese along with their kids because they stuff their faces with junk food bought with food stamps which I help pay for. I say, if I am paying for your food, I get to say what you eat, and many agree with this.

Most of these people are on Medicaid and ALWAYS there because they SICK. They are unhealthy, and obesity is a big reason that keeps them from working or other ills they suffer like drug addiction and other addictions.

We already have "a hoard of brainless slobs who lack nutrients", something that is being addressed by this.

Hey, that would slow the illegal traffic at the border too! Let's do it!

Seriously, this is what people want. I have seen numerous articles complaining about how these people spend their food stamp allowance, the grocery money that we give them. They spend it the first two weeks, note that on that first weekend of the month, the best cuts of beef will be in the meat case (the ones we have always bypassed) and the seafood. Many have a certain "mentality" of entitlement that those that pay for their own things don't have.

Hey, one is either hungry or they aren't. I suspect the older individuals will still appreciate real food and have a clue what to do with it, and the younger ones can either eat it or go without! Food assistance should only be available to those unable to work. Job doesn't pay enough? Get a part-time job or 2 to supplement - that is how they do it here!
Yes Virginia the GOP loves welfare and micro managing lives too ^^^^

Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,402,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Exactly how is the government planning to directly send the food? UPS? Couriers?

Are we expanding the government with a department to oversee the distribution? Who is packing up the food if not grocery stores?

This 'proposal' sounds much more expensive and disorganized than the current, as well as ripe for fraud.
It probably will be the grocers existing distribution centers. Or new distribution centers anything is possible. Doubt that the government will do it themselves I'm sure some companies are foaming at the mouth at the idea of picking up the contracts.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,330,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Sounds like a logistical nightmare
Don't worry . We have a businessman as President now .

Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,813,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I agree. Let's start by not handing out $700+ billion to the military industrial complex.
But it's not a hand out, is it! Those people actually produce something for the money we give them. Might be a big waste of taxpayer money, but it's no handout.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,088,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Don't worry . We have a businessman as President now .

Well, if ya really wanna play that 'being a businessman ensures ability and good judgement' card, I'll take the word of far more successful than Trump businessman Michael Bloomberg who's labeled Trump a NYC con-man.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,172,473 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...od-stamps.html

Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,141,704 times
It’s hilarious how trump is trying to bring back something similar that didn’t work over 40 years ago.

Remember government cheese, canned beef/chicken, powdered milk(that sometimes had cocaine in it)

To some of you, I guess that was when America was great lol

It didn’t work back then, it won’t work now. First off lobbyist won’t go for it, Walmart would nip it in the bud before it even gets to the senate floor. Second, the logistics would cost more than the so called “savings”. Third, it’s not going to work.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:50 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,491,654 times
Seems like a bad idea to me. On the surface it sounds logical, but in practicality it is ripe for inefficiency and fraud.

I think revamping the current food stamp cards is a better solution. Make them more restrictive on what people can purchase, and where they can purchase. No sodas, no cakes, only the essentials.

Last edited by ryanst530; 02-13-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies