Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Which would be what?
The lobster tails?
Non perishables, obviously . Take your pick.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Some do, there's actual news footage of some doing exactly that although I do believe they are outliers. There are some that sell off their cards for dimes on the dollar to buy other things with cash, argue all you want it's documented and does happen.
There are people who have no real right to have the benefits, that is a fact as well.

One easy fix is to restrict what foods one can buy so the recipient eats better or at least isn't eating junk on other peoples dimes.
Another easy fix is allowing SNAP to be used for basic health items so the recipient can ward off infection,disease and other medical issues that go along with being unsanitary OR give 'em a box of basic items like toothpaste,shampoo etc.

There has to be at least a partial solution somewhere between all or nothing, a solution that's compassionate while being fiscally responsible at the same time.
Re: the second paragraph...yes, I said so in a post I made some pages back. It would be cheaper to just say that they can't buy certain foods on the card, like they already do about hot food. "Some" do, but out of 16 million people, I'm going to wager that the majority of them are not buying lobster. A few getting caught here and there doing that does not equal the majority.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It's YOU who doesn't get it!

Do you think soda is the only thing that can be used for fraud?

Ban soda, and we move down the line to the next easiest thing to resell. Ban that, then on down the line we go to the next best thing, and so on.

Silly me obsessing about FRAUD. Silly me obsessing about MY tax dollars going to criminals.
I'm done with you. Bye.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:

Ban soda, and we move down the line to the next easiest thing to resell. Ban that, then on down the line we go to the next best thing, and so on.

Silly me obsessing about FRAUD. Silly me obsessing about MY tax dollars going to criminals.
What's stopping them from selling those boxes of food, then, since all these people on food stamps are such cheats?

Yes, we all admit that some people absolutely abuse the hell out of the program, but not all of them do. Some people genuinely need the help, and I'm not talking about life long abusers who feel entitled to free food, I'm not talking about people who are on it because of disability or age, I'm talking about people who need it temporarily because they lost a job, and while they are trying to get another, they still need to eat.

You hate it when people paint all Conservatives with the same brush, why do you do the same to others?

If the money is coming from taxpayers, then you make it a rule that certain foods cannot be purchased with food stamps. It's that damn simple. They already do that with hot foods. You cannot go in to the store and buy those already made chickens that are sitting under a heat lamp, for example. (Ironically enough, those are far more healthy than the frozen dinner that people pick out.)

Put a time limit on food stamps. It doesn't take 5 years to find a job.

Stop punishing students who are going to college and are working, but the government says they aren't working enough and actually discourages people from attending school. You have to work a certain amount of hours, and I'm all for working through college, I did it, and even when I did, I still didn't have enough money to eat. I was in Top Ramenville for an entire year. And that is no exaggeration - it was literally ONLY Top Ramen. I couldn't even afford the milk for the cheap, nasty boxes of mac n cheese. But the government says that if you work X amount of hours, then you're too "wealthy" for help. So if you stop going to school, they'll help you.

Stop punishing people who do get employment. They are trying to get their way out of needing any help. If they make a single dollar more than the eligibility requirements for food stamps, they are cut off completely and guess what? Now they don't have enough money to eat. So what do they do? Stop working so they can fricken eat.

If you want a serious overhaul, you're going to have to address some plain truths that you don't want to admit.

Also, I'd like you all to read this, learn the history of food stamps. You all think 16 million is bad? It used to be worse:

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/short-history-snap

It used to be in the 20 millions back in the 70s.

Stop demonizing people. Not all 16 million people who receive food help are entitled jackasses who buy lobster, (eye roll), chips, pop, candy, and cake.

Here's your card, you have X amount of time to use it, you need to prove that you are looking for work which includes interviews, (just like unenjoyment checks), you cannot buy these foods, here's a list for you to take home with you. If you are caught abusing the system, you go to prison. End.

If the person is disabled or they are elderly, LAY OFF!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But you don't have a problem with someone choosing not to have health insurance buying their soda and getting diabetes and ending up needing a hand out......

Is it the soda or the handout or what?

Are you saying you are comfortable with the govt,. getting into the food distribution business?
I'm sure he's only in favor of the rich getting handouts.

Oh, and I'm sure storing, maintaining and distributing food across the united states won't cost anything at all!! Not to mention, not everyone can eat the same thing. There's going to be ppl, who for medical reasons, won't be able to eat "healthy" canned meats and vegetables. Another brilliant plan under the Trump administration to "save" money.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I'm sure he's only in favor of the rich getting handouts.

Oh, and I'm sure storing, maintaining and distributing food across the united states won't cost anything at all!! Not to mention, not everyone can eat the same thing. There's going to be ppl, who for medical reasons, won't be able to eat "healthy" canned meats and vegetables. Another brilliant plan under the Trump administration to "save" money.

Yeah, of course we know its not to save money, but to funnel profits to the corporations providing these packaged foods that will be awarded like Puerto Rico rebuilding contracts. Ugh.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:16 PM

581 posts, read 456,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Rights of taxpayers? Funny how people think that taxpayers have the right to decide what the poor can and can't eat but don't bat an eyelash at the 6.6 million in airfare that Trump has cost the taxpayer for his trips to Mar a Lago.
Well, Liberals didn't bat an eyelash when the Obamas spent several hundred mil taking vacations, so where's the outrage over that?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:

While you're obsessing over imaginary soda fraud, billionaires, politicians, banks and corporations in this country are cheating the government and the american ppl for hundreds of billions of dollars. LOL.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, of course we know its not to save money, but to funnel profits to the corporations providing these packaged foods that will be awarded like Puerto Rico rebuilding contracts. Ugh.
Of course! That's what it always comes down to!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Well, Liberals didn't bat an eyelash when the Obamas spent several hundred mil taking vacations, so where's the outrage over that?

Obama barely took any compared to Trump who probably already surpassed him, and funneled the money into his businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies