Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times

Advertisements

I remember "commodities" from the 70's. I drove around to people's homes to deliver the boxes of food. Community service for unpaid traffic tickets! It was basic but adequate fare.

I'm just as angry about these bums buying with their EBT's lobster tails, soda, candy, etc. Time to end the fraud.

BTW, the block cheese was better than Kraft brand.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
You want the government to save money, tell them to find the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS they recently lost. If I lost money like that I'd starve to death!

Old 02-12-2018, 03:03 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
This was tried before. Anybody remember commodities? Govt. cheese, powdered eggs, bulgar? Didn’t work so well, a lot got tossed.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Instead of giving a cash credit that a recipient could use to buy nutritious and healthy food, they would get packaged junk food. This would be a big boost to food distributors, who could clean out their warehouses of over-aged items and sell them to the program at a profit. You would see cans of fish, 3 or 4 years old and had turned to mush, going out to hungry people. Probably boxes of macaroni and cheese would be in every food bag. Also, the cheapest peanut spread, with added sugar, salt and cottonseed oil, instead of real peanut butter. I'd bet that everything provided, would be sub-standard and the primary beneficiaries, would be the big companies that were its sources. Of course, they would be contributors to the campaign funds of republicans and Trump.
Well that certainly would be the case if Trump placed someone in charge of the program who had no experience or sole experience was to fight against healthy foods. It is not as if Trump would appoint a lobbyist for the snack food industry.

Surely, Trump would appoint someone with a degree in nutrition and people would be able to tailor the box they received if they had allergies or intolerances to gluten, or lactose.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Instead of giving a cash credit that a recipient could use to buy nutritious and healthy food, they would get packaged junk food. This would be a big boost to food distributors, who could clean out their warehouses of over-aged items and sell them to the program at a profit. You would see cans of fish, 3 or 4 years old and had turned to mush, going out to hungry people. Probably boxes of macaroni and cheese would be in every food bag. Also, the cheapest peanut spread, with added sugar, salt and cottonseed oil, instead of real peanut butter. I'd bet that everything provided, would be sub-standard and the primary beneficiaries, would be the big companies that were its sources. Of course, they would be contributors to the campaign funds of republicans and Trump.
One of my elderly Meal on Wheel clients gets about $90 / month in SNAP benefits.

She is legally blind and home bound. Neighbors periodically shop for her. It's all about candy, cakes, cookies and ice cream- a serious sweet tooth she has.

She is not capable of preparing a meal for herself.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 605,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Well that certainly would be the case if Trump placed someone in charge of the program who had no experience or sole experience was to fight against healthy foods. It is not as if Trump would appoint a lobbyist for the snack food industry.

Surely, Trump would appoint someone with a degree in nutrition and people would be able to tailor the box they received if they had allergies or intolerances to gluten, or lactose.
I didn’t even stop to think about food allergies

Old 02-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why assume food will be nutritious? Michele Obama has retired.

Microwavable mac and cheese boxes are cheap and lightweight.
And unhealthy as all hell. No thank you.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
I don’t have a problem with them either. I’m just wondering what they will do for people who are getting under $90
That's more likely to be an elderly recipient.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:14 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nothing says smaller govt. than the govt. telling people what they can eat
Did the Trump admin get rid of Michelles Obamas crappy School lunch program, you know, the one where if school districts declined, the loses federal funding...?

Old 02-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, "they" = people on SNAP. #1 food purchase is soda.

Who cares what an individual (you) does. That's statistically irrelevant.
If you don't care what I do or buy, get off my ass with this crap. I can shop for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies