Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,951,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Wow! So much for the small government conservatives. Now they have a diet police. Wow!
they do? how so?

can you show us where anyone has proposed preventing anyone from eating whever they want?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,163,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Insane statement.
People may eat whatever they want. Throw the free food away and buy potato chips if they want. No one cares.
That ought to go over really well for those claiming "blah blah blah, but my tax dollars!!!!!!".

Old 02-15-2018, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,872,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Taco bell, 100% american mexican food
Jack in the Box, ever seen the huge "We Accept EBT" signs in the window?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:15 AM

42,742 posts, read 25,909,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Some states require people who can't shop to have an Authorized Representative, who gets their own card for that purpose. And some allow you to add an Authorized User to your card, so a family member can take your card and shop. Said AU would, of course, not match name/ID to the card.
It's federal law that mandates that your family or household members are able to use your card. Trying to issue ID cards for all the people who are legally allowed to use the card would be yet another act of insanity. If an elder can't shop by herself and changes live in caregivers 4 times a year, how does she eat while waiting for the new ID cards for the people who shop for her are acquired.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not to mention silly ideas. Like using food stamps at farmers markets. In my experience, farmers markets are DRASTICALLY overpriced relative to supermarkets.

Using food stamps at a farmers market is usually wasteful and inefficient, unless it's a farmers market that doubles the value for food stamp users, as some do. Right there should tell you that farmers markets are overpriced.
Here in AZ (and some other states) when someone uses their EBT/SNAP card at a Farmers Market they actually get double the purchasing power. Example: Use $10 EBT/SNAP and get $10 in Market Bucks = $20 in actual product.
So, wasteful or inefficient? Don't think so...

Old 02-15-2018, 09:39 AM

3,164 posts, read 1,706,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here in AZ (and some other states) when someone uses their EBT/SNAP card at a Farmers Market they actually get double the purchasing power. Example: Use $10 EBT/SNAP and get $10 in Market Bucks = $20 in actual product.
So, wasteful or inefficient? Don't think so...
Yay. I wonder who gets to subsidize the generous discount to the freeloaders?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Yay. I wonder who gets to subsidize the generous discount to the freeloaders?
Market Bucks
SNAP/EBT customers can double their purchasing power at participating farmers markets. Every $1 of SNAP/EBT benefits spent is matched by $1 in Market Bucks — up to $10 every time a customer visits the market! Hunger Solutions Minnesota administers the program and has fliers and brochures available on their website.

The Twin Cities Mobile Market — a grocery store on wheels that brings fresh produce, meat, and groceries to 33 locations throughout the Twin Cities — also accepts SNAP/EBT and offers Market Bucks. See when it will be in your neighborhood on the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation's Find a Mobile Market Stop Near You webpage. Market Bucks

Using EBT Cards at Farmers Markets

Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,534,853 times
Quote:
You only focused in specifically on soda and that's what I called you out on. Now you decide to widen it to all junk foods which is actually the real subject. As for believing the USDA, quit trying to force a political viewpoint on any discussion we're having (Fake news). I've not done that to you now have I?

I don't think the stats the USDA are presenting are "fake" though I do wonder how accurate they are when they'er talking specifically about non-SNAP users because I don't know where they're drawing the data sets from.
If you want to call someone out for focusing only on soda, I think you picked the wrong person. There is only one person involved in this discussion who has tried to make it all about soda.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,163,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you want to call someone out for focusing only on soda, I think you picked the wrong person.
The serial Soda Basher, a supporter of Captain McDonalds and his 12 diet cokes a day, BUT THAT's DIFFERENT!lol

Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,534,853 times
Quote:
Market Bucks
SNAP/EBT customers can double their purchasing power at participating farmers markets. Every $1 of SNAP/EBT benefits spent is matched by $1 in Market Bucks — up to $10 every time a customer visits the market! Hunger Solutions Minnesota administers the program and has fliers and brochures available on their website.

The Twin Cities Mobile Market — a grocery store on wheels that brings fresh produce, meat, and groceries to 33 locations throughout the Twin Cities — also accepts SNAP/EBT and offers Market Bucks. See when it will be in your neighborhood on the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation's Find a Mobile Market Stop Near You webpage. Market Bucks

Using EBT Cards at Farmers Markets
That sounds like a really awesome program. Fresher food, money kept local, it sounds like a win-win.

I see an awful lot of people hating on farmers' markets, and I really don't understand why. When did buying fresh, locally grown food from small family-run operations become a bad thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies