Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you want to call someone out for focusing only on soda, I think you picked the wrong person. There is only one person involved in this discussion who has tried to make it all about soda.
I'm sure she can respond for herself given her previous verbosity and obvious intelligence don't you think?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm sure she can respond for herself given her previous verbosity and obvious intelligence don't you think?
I'm not sure we are talking about the same person.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
That sounds like a really awesome program. Fresher food, money kept local, it sounds like a win-win.

I see an awful lot of people hating on farmers' markets, and I really don't understand why. When did buying fresh, locally grown food from small family-run operations become a bad thing?
I agree, fresh healthy and usually organic food sold at 2 for one can be/is good for both the consumer and the farmer given that at many/most Famers Markets they don't sell out every weekend.

One thing I've been told by a couple of sellers is "if you come by my farm Monday this stuff will be priced at half off".

Good to know as I live about 2 miles from several of their farms...

Old 02-15-2018, 09:08 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
That sounds like a really awesome program. Fresher food, money kept local, it sounds like a win-win.

I see an awful lot of people hating on farmers' markets, and I really don't understand why. When did buying fresh, locally grown food from small family-run operations become a bad thing?
who ever claimed they were a bad thing?

however, they are by nature seasonal, and huge numbers of people have no access to farmers markets, no matter how good they may be.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
who ever claimed they were a bad thing?

however, they are by nature seasonal, and huge numbers of people have no access to farmers markets, no matter how good they may be.
I've seen a few people slamming them as places only for hipster urban elites. I guess you missed that. I wish I had.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:21 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
I've seen a few people slamming them as places only for hipster urban elites. I guess you missed that. I wish I had.
I have yet to see anyone do that. you should realize that a few people slamming something doesn't mean that it automatically 'becomes' a bad thing.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Trump Budget Would Swap Food Stamps for ‘100% American’ Food Packages "

Sounds like WIC. I had to tour a WIC store and actually thought it was a pretty good program. They had all the good stuff and a lot of it was local. They had eggs, milk, cheese, dried beans, canned fish, iron rich cereal, vitamin C fruit/vegetable juice and so on.

I've always been in favor of running SNAP like WIC, and limiting what can and cannot be purchased with food benefits. Prepared foods, junk foods, etc. should not be taxpayer subsidized. The point of SNAP is to make sure people have nutritious food. Not soda.

This "box" thing though sounds stupid.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Market Bucks
SNAP/EBT customers can double their purchasing power at participating farmers markets. Every $1 of SNAP/EBT benefits spent is matched by $1 in Market Bucks — up to $10 every time a customer visits the market! Hunger Solutions Minnesota administers the program and has fliers and brochures available on their website.

The Twin Cities Mobile Market — a grocery store on wheels that brings fresh produce, meat, and groceries to 33 locations throughout the Twin Cities — also accepts SNAP/EBT and offers Market Bucks. See when it will be in your neighborhood on the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation's Find a Mobile Market Stop Near You webpage. Market Bucks

Using EBT Cards at Farmers Markets
That's wonderful news unless you live in an urban area, or have no transportation

Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I have yet to see anyone do that. you should realize that a few people slamming something doesn't mean that it automatically 'becomes' a bad thing.
I didn't say they are a bad thing. Where did you get that?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I've always been in favor of running SNAP like WIC, and limiting what can and cannot be purchased with food benefits. Prepared foods, junk foods, etc. should not be taxpayer subsidized. The point of SNAP is to make sure people have nutritious food. Not soda.
This "box" thing though sounds stupid.
So each SNAP recipient can receive:

1 block of cheddar cheese
One gallon of milk
two boxes of cereal of a specified brand

Geezus...why do you want to treat people like imbeciles? If they make bad choices in shopping they have to deal with it. And my taxes pay for far stupider things than SNAP, like wars we have no business in fighting, dear leaders weekly golf trips, first class or private plane travel for his swampy cabinet members, subsidies to oil companies and farms. Funny how people can spend countless time worrying about what a person on SNAP buys with their huge allotment of $1.40 per meal but totally blow off all of the other waste fraud and abuse in federal spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies