Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

I always assumed she looked like Egyptians and most Middle Easterners. Olive complexion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes, King Tut's DNA shows that he and his parents were of European ancestry. However, PC considerations means that we must lie about this, so as not to offend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjPECybOYY

King Tut Was Eastern European, According to the DNA Results | Humans Are Free

King Tut belonged to the haplogroup R1b1a2, which started in Eastern Europe and had blue eyes. Today 70% of men in the UK share this group, 50% of Western European men, and less than 1% of Egyptian men. But we should deny this science for PC purposes.
Yeah Ancient Egyptians and middle easterners were lighter and more European in the past than today and not as admixed. Even today there are some very light eye even blue and complexioned near Easterners.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
White washing? The skin tone looks dark to me, like someone that is mixed race as Queen Nefertiti may likely have been.

Recreated face of Queen Nefertiti sparks 'whitewashing' race row | Fox News

3-D image of Egyptian queen ‘not Nefertiti’, local professor says | WGN-TV
I will make sure I set the recorder to watch this. The kids enjoy watching Josh Gates shows. It's actually one of our favorite channels to watch.

The new bust looks very similar to the older bust they have of her even with all the scientific data they used. I hate how some turn everything into a color of skin thing.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
I believe the images of Cleopatra had similar reactions to Nefertiti.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Ancient Egyptians were simply tanned people of Mediterranean phenotype just like Arabs.

Let's say when you paint skin tone, there are really only three primary colors: yellow, blue, red. (interesting right?) White and black are optional.

If you mix equal amount of yellow, blue, and red, the blue will make it a pretty dark color. Add white and yellow for a lighter skin tone, add red for reddish. EVERY skin tone under the sun can be achieved using primary colors just with different ratio.

If I were to paint her, I'd be painting a tanned person. The artist was accurate. If you use yellow, blue, and red with the exact same ratio 1:1: 1 you get a pretty dark brownish color, that would not be an accurate color for her face.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Ancient Egyptians were simply tanned people of Mediterranean phenotype just like Arabs.

Let's say when you paint skin tone, there are really only three primary colors: yellow, blue, red. (interesting right?) White and black are optional.

If you mix equal amount of yellow, blue, and red, the blue will make it a pretty dark color. Add white and yellow for a lighter skin tone, add red for reddish. EVERY skin tone under the sun can be achieved using primary colors just with different ratio.

If I were to paint her, I'd be painting a tanned person. The artist was accurate. If you use yellow, blue, and red with the exact same ratio 1:1: 1 you get a pretty dark brownish color, that would not be an accurate color for her face.
That I don't believe. You just can't be accurate with something like that, and something that ancient. Could be in the ballpark, but I wouldn't say accurate. They can only give their best guess form all the data they have, other anomalies could be at play that's not in their data. We would all probably be surprised on what she actually looked like. We just know she was a woman of color.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That I don't believe. You just can't be accurate with something like that, and something that ancient. Could be in the ballpark, but I wouldn't say accurate. They can only give their best guess form all the data they have, other anomalies could be at play that's not in their data. We would all probably be surprised on what she actually looked like. We just know she was a woman of color.
The artist painted a tanned person, (not a typical Caucasian white woman) for that, (and only that) I believe the artist was accurate.

There shouldn't be any "controversy" about it. That is his interpretation of the history and that is a tanned woman.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The artist painted a tanned person, (not a typical Caucasian white woman) for that, (and only that) I believe the artist was accurate.
And that's fine, point well taken. But if she could walk through the doors right now, I doubt she would like exactly like that, I believe we would all be surprised. But, it's still intriguing nonetheless. I love Egyptian History.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And that's fine, point well taken. But if she could walk through the doors right now, I doubt she would like exactly like that, I believe we would all be surprised. But, it's still intriguing nonetheless. I love Egyptian History.
It seems like the artist worked closely with forensic paleopathologists and anthropologists to determine accurate muscle, skin and soft tissue depth. Everything was meticulously calculated by hand. I didn't read the whole article, but my guess is even with modern technology, that is easily a hundreds if not thousands of hours work.

I wanted to be a forensic artist, but I didn't want to put in the hard work. Basically, part of the job of forensic artist is made for identification purposes. It has to be as accurate as possible. I think that facial reconstruction of the queen is amazing, to be quite honest.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Everything is not about politics and race. Why not respecting the artist's hard work?

There is a story behind this artwork. I doubt he had "offending people" on his mind when he created that piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies