Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Holy chit. Is that true?

Why does anyone think it's a good idea to take out student loans again?

Oh well. I guess current university students don't expect for social security to even be around by the time they retire anyway, so it indeed is mainly the co-signer's problem.

They need to teach financial classes in high school so that students will know what they're getting into. High school students are not educated enough to make a decision as huge as taking out a student loan.

Only thing my daughter listened to me about was not taking out student loans. She did at least learn from my huge fiasco. She ended up not finishing college and is working for about the same wages around here as she would if she had. I am glad for that. She's doing pretty well that way and is slowly developing a better work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
My point is not that kids shouldn't be able to take out loans for college, but that we should be expecting more out of students requesting these loans. Higher GPAs, higher test scores, written recommendations from teachers, etc. These kids should be seen as an investment by taxpayers, if taxpayers are to flip the bill. The nature of investing is that there will always be failures, and that's fine, but our goal should be to minimize those failures.
It's a loan not a gift why should you have to prove that you are a superb student to borrow money? I don't have to prove to the car dealer that I'm an amazing driver in order to finance a car.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's a loan not a gift why should you have to prove that you are a superb student to borrow money? I don't have to prove to the car dealer that I'm an amazing driver in order to finance a car.
Can we repossess the student?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
edit.

Last edited by Jobster; 02-13-2018 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
The declining value of a college degree is directly related to the overabundance of college degrees on the job market. You shouldn't need a bachelor's degree to get a job as a receptionist, but that is what's happening across the country in certain areas... too many people with 4-year degrees are applying for these positions, and hiring managers have no choice but to raise the qualifications bar in order to differentiate between the applicants. This situation not only makes it difficult for college graduates to find jobs, but it also screws over the people who didn't go to college, who are a better fit for these types of jobs to begin with.
I agree that you shouldn't but it is a double issue. Companies sometimes list these to reduce applicant pools during employer markets. Sadly many places never removed that "requirement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Smart employers know this. For a receptionist we would more likely hire an older person or a high school/community school grad. There was an opening for a receptionist at a medical office I worked at and one applicant had a masters degree in nothing to do with health care. They hired a woman with a hs diploma who had taken college classes in anatomy and medical transcription. That was a good fit.

I always advise to sharply focus on your goals. Some people just toss a resume wherever there is an opening.
Exactly but there are a lot of bad companies or if not bad HR who use the degree as a "would like to have" requirement. Your employer did it right, many don't though.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Some people need to take loans out to have the career they want. Many doctors and lawyers are in massive debt. Easily in the high six figures due to all the schooling required, unfortunately they don’t just start out making six figures after college. Residencies take place before an actual well paying job. Then you have, basic living needs such as rent, food, etc.

Many millennials are facing higher housing and rent prices than previous generations. Plus all the accrued interest on these large loans that trump wants to convert to private loans (to make students pay even higher interest rates). This will benefit his rich buddies in the private loan industry. I know someone paying over 1k a month in student loans.

Like I said y’all sound elitist. Only rich kids should be doctors or lawyers, and if you ooor and don’t get a full scholarship forget about it
no-body is saying they cant get loans, or should not have loans....

the point is........if you take a loan out...aka sign a legal contact...be it at 0% or at 6%...it is YOUR JOB to PAY BACK the LOAN that you RECEIVED for your education...... its a very simple LEGAL concept

Quote:
I know someone paying over 1k a month in student loans.
and??? I pay over 1k a month for property taxes (13k a year)..... do I like it, NO, but that is part of LIFE

Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Can we repossess the student?
No but you can go after every penny they have until they repay the loan and they can't discharge it in bankruptcy. Given that lenders have that much leverage why in the world would they want to limit loans to only the brightest and the best? I'd jump on the chance to make loans and be able to go after salary and bank accounts for the rest of the debtors life.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Being in the top of your class doesn't mean you will get scholarships.

I don't expect anyone to pay back my student loans. I owe, with the accruing interest, $180 to 190k. I cannot even work a part-time minimum wage job because I get no job offers or I get fired after being hired do to my health problems. Someone would have to be pretty delusional to believe I could ever pay that money back.

I received grants in college, but after a while even though I was awarded work study, no work study spot considered me as their selection (spots are limited) due to my getting sick much of the time. I was blackballed.

I never wanted to go to college anymore anyway and would've just worked a regular job had someone hired and kept me. I had to go to college for survival because I needed the financial aid money. Kind of hard to afford luxuries like a place to live when employers refuse to employ you.
wow...

not sure I even understand that..

you HAD to go to college FOR the financial aid???

you have 200k in debt...yet cant hold a job... due to some health issue.... if your health issue is that bad, that you cant work, sounds like you would be a good candidate for disability.....have you tried

so here is one point, where I certainly could see debt forgiveness.. if there is a true health issue preventing you from working

but for all others...you signed the legal document... pay back what you owe.... or show that you have no ethics

Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
nonsense

Many states offer lottery scholarships with low GPA requirements.

Reform of this give-away is long overdue, so deadbeats pay up.

Does nothing for adults who need to change careers.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Does nothing for adults who need to change careers.
bs

for 7+ years people (to include a few mods) have told you what to do to better yourself...you fail to even try

=============================

and for at least 6 years you have complained and done nothing to improve yourself...even though you have been given suggestions from dozens of people to include one of the mods

//www.city-data.com/forum/19943086-post91.html
6 years ago today...and your still at the deli job waiting on your 2/3 pension

every post you make is about how bad you got it...please..get a better job

but...

you dont want a better job..you want you 8/hr job so you can get 900 a month ss

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//www.city-data.com/forum/29060358-post73.html
4 years ago
many posters to including myself and one Mod, have given you many, many suggestions and avenues of approach for fixing and helping your situation......

but all you do is give excuses of why you cant....

many have suggested the library.....but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suggested job shaddowing...but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suugested grants, loans, etc....you have an exuses of why you cant

all you want to do is blame someone to include your parents, but you never look in the mirror

for many years you have been saying '''''you can't'''''' get help, or get training.....
you blame 'drug addict' parents, yet never even try to improve yourself
you blame the cost of rentals -vs- owning a house, yet never even try to improve yourself
you blame employers, yet never even try to improve yourself

6 years ago you said you were in your '''50's''' , so now in your late 50's or even just turned 60, you still sitting at a deli job....never have you even considered listening to people on here , who have given suggestions to you, trying to help

Last edited by workingclasshero; 02-13-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies