Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
O'Reilly is NOT a conservative. He has many positions that exemplify typical, leftist, inside the NYC bubble attitudes, but I guess anyone that isn't lock step 100% Progressive all the time is a "con" to you.
Sure Jan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew87 View Post
I posted an example of terry gross on fresh air with her giggly interview with al franken and hostile interview with bill oreilly and the pbs ombudsman even admitting npr is biased yet the fragile poster just didnt want to hear it.

Npr had plenty of time to present different points of view but its radio for liberals by liberals paid for with my tax money

The npr home page right now has no mention of the spying on the trump campaign but stories on russian interference ,palestinian activist, right wing politicians banned from twitter,etc

today here and now had stories on how black panther reflects Hollywood moving forward,bernie sanders saying we must not allow legal status of dreamers go unresolved , john hancock center being renamed

morning edition had stuff on corruption of Baltimore police

It will only get more liberal and effeminate as the day goes on with fresh air, state of things, the takeaway

If you want any info on the biggest story of our time, the corruption of the fbi and our nations intelligence agencies by the obama administration to spy on the trump campaign , you wont hear much about it from npr unless its running cover for the dems.

They would never be critical of the civil rights movement,gay movement, feminism, Obama or any sort of journalism that goes after the left

There are plenty of safe space for liberals in the mainstream media where they can cower in fear of fox news, I just dont want to have my tax money pay for their safe spaces
The only place those stories are being reported seriously is on extreme RW media, but that is their First Amendment right. Unless you have more information that nobody else has seen so far, there isn't enough there to open an investigation.

"Spying on the Trump campaign" consisted of warrants to tap phones, and some of Trump's people were recorded collaterally. I have yet to see anything that indicates there was a direct effort by any agency to spy on the Trump campaign.

Glad to hear you are listening. You get different viewpoints that way. I occasionally listen to RW talk shows for the same reason.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
O'Reilly is NOT a conservative. He has many positions that exemplify typical, leftist, inside the NYC bubble attitudes, but I guess anyone that isn't lock step 100% Progressive all the time is a "con" to you.
Oh yeah. He advertises himself as non-conservative all the time.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Their status would be on record with the U.S. government, and they would have a legal SS# to prove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They would still have paperwork with US government.
I'm aware. That has always been the closest thing to actually defining that term, that I have heard.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Oil corporations get $4 billion dollars of taxpayer money each year.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/u...ers-money.html

Chad, there is a significant difference between allowing an oil corporation to keep the revenue it has generated than taking it from them and giving it someone else.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
I expect it from Trump. It's laughable to imagine him sitting down to watch the PBS New Hour, which is the most serious new program on broadcast television. It's laughable to imagine him sitting down to watch any of the excellent PBS documentaries on American Experience (even the series on Presidents). And, of course, Republicans are against anything that is education or cultural for ordinary Americans (just as they don't want to fund public education generally).

But it's so depressing to see PBS and NPR slammed by ordinary people who should know better. If you listened, you'd know that many of their programs are on liberal subjects (such as environmental issues), but their information is accurate, and they most certainly aren't "crap." Actually, "crap" is what's on the main networks, such as "Dancing With the Stars." I'm sorry that you're too narrow or blind to understand the benefit of even just having non-commercial avenues for news. The New York NPR affiliate, for example, made a point of doing a series of interview with all local candidates - something we certainly wouldn't find on any commercial avenue. And, additionally, it's even more depressing that, even though you can't appreciate PBS/NPR yourself, you want to deny them to others.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So the NPR incessantly chanting for the “undocumented immigrants “ is reporting facts now?
Are undocumented immigrants news? Then there will be stories on them.

Do you really think that all Morning Edition does is spew left-wing ideology for several hours? They don't. They cover news of the day. They have headline news, then in-depth pieces, usually with a human interest slant. They talk to people. They ask questions. Sometimes they review movies.

Shows like Fresh Air are different. That's more of an editorial program. Myself, I can't stand Fresh Air. Never have liked it. Terry Gross drives me up a wall.

Everyone needs to understand another part of this. I'm more familiar with radio, but the same general principals apply to TV.

Now, we know money from the CPB to individual stations (something like 1500 stations receive CPB funding). Those stations then have to purchase programming. So, CPB grants go to stations, who then buy programming. Got it? The station, however, must provide programming that the public wants and will help pay for. Our station gets LESS THAN HALF of their operating budget from CPB. Listener contributions make up the rest. So, why does your local station have that NPR news? Because your local population wants it, and will donate to help buy it.

Someone up thread said they liked Car Talk and BBC news. VERY expensive. VERY. And Car Talk is just old stuff recycled. Our station dumped BBC Worldwide because they needed to make cuts.

CPB money goes away, and the access that people in rural communities have to quality programming plummets. It's gone. That's sad. I live in a sparsely populated part of the world, and we have listeners who want opera. OPERA. They won't find it elsewhere. Not here. Not live.

And if you don't like the slant of programming, complain. It goes up the chain. Really. There have been few times when I've really felt that things were out of balance. Fact is not partisan.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:41 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The guv shouldnt be funding any media.
OKayyy... if he shouldn't be funding any media, and the government shouldn't be funding any media... just exactly who should be? I mean, heck, the Koch brothers were big TEA party supporters, not sure why anyone would think they are liberals... unless, suddenly, the TEA party is liberal? Seems like, if they, and the other 'friends' who support PBS & NPR, feel like it is a good thing to do - even though their politics may be the opposite of the other 'friends', perhaps it is because they are actually reasonably fair and balanced.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew87 View Post
You can turn on npr pretty much any day during the week and its going to be spouting some liberal garbage. All things considered is on here locally and they were talking about rob porter , not a mention of the biggest story of our time, the spying and wiretapping of presidential campaign and the corruption of the FBI ,DOJ, and the Obama administration surveillance

All things considered-except conservative or opposing views.lol

NPR will get even more ridiculous and left wing as the night goes on ,at least here locally with with the state of things, fresh air and the takeaway. Morning edition is already advertising more rob porter stories for the morning so you can get 24 hours of liberal brainwashing starting early in the day.

this is the garbage that was on today on "all things considered" very open minded and very little bias. lol

Director Of National Intelligence Says 2018 Midterms Are Potential Target For Russian Influence

Trump's Proposed Budget Gives Up Fight Against Deficit Spending

Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez Discusses Obstacles In Immigration Debate

Some Christian Leaders Say Deportations Would Jeopardize Their Churches

Israeli Police Recommend Corruption Charges Against Prime Minister Netanyahu

aerials-skier-ashley-caldwells-bold-move-a-quadruple-twisting-triple-flip ( with some feminist commentary)

FBI Timeline For Rob Porter's Background Check Conflicts With What White House Said

Before Joining Trump Administration, Mick Mulvaney Acted As Anti-Deficit Crusader
hmmmm... what, exactly is inaccurate about these headlines?

Director Of National Intelligence Says 2018 Midterms Are Potential Target For Russian Influence
Did the person named here actually say what they say he did? Well, yes.
Trump's Proposed Budget Gives Up Fight Against Deficit Spending
It isn't just PBS/NPR saying this about the budget. It raises the deficit to over $1.5 trillion, right? Sounds pretty much the Rs gave up the fight.
Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez Discusses Obstacles In Immigration Debate
What? Menendez didn't discuss this?
Some Christian Leaders Say Deportations Would Jeopardize Their Churches
Did they actually SAY that? Yup, they did.
Israeli Police Recommend Corruption Charges Against Prime Minister Netanyahu
And, yes, this actually happened, too.
aerials-skier-ashley-caldwells-bold-move-a-quadruple-twisting-triple-flip ( with some feminist commentary)
I dunno - was it a bold move or not?
FBI Timeline For Rob Porter's Background Check Conflicts With What White House Said
Well, dang, again, they are not the only news source noticing the conflicts here.
Before Joining Trump Administration, Mick Mulvaney Acted As Anti-Deficit Crusader
hmmm... well, it looks like mulvaney actually did that, too.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
PBS is educational and the money the government pays is pittance compared to everything else. Why does Trump want to get rid of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies