Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,889,086 times

Advertisements

They should of been privatized... the government should not be or have a "media" company... PBS hasn't been educational since the 1990's.... kids don't want to hear why the liberals hate Trump...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 09:53 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,380,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why should taxpayers fund far left, biased propaganda outlets in the first place?
PBS is not a far left, biased propaganda outlet , my guess is that you've never even watched a PBS program

Old 02-13-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Good....Corporations fund PBS and NPR because they are blackmailed into it. They are threaten with boycotts from liberals and rather then resist they fold.
that is one of the craziest claims I've read on these forums in a very long time..

Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,711,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They should of been privatized... the government should not be or have a "media" company... PBS hasn't been educational since the 1990's.... kids don't want to hear why the liberals hate Trump...
Man, that Daniel Tiger must be horrible for the kids to watch... not to mention how America's Test Kitchen is turning all those erstwhile cooks into terrorists! And, NOVA has always been a hotbed of liberal science.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:08 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,711,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
PBS is educational and the money the government pays is pittance compared to everything else. Why does Trump want to get rid of education.
ummm... based on the responses from the trumpissts here? So that everyone is like them...

Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It's real clear that you don't watch PBS or you would know better.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,731,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I agree. NPR has been pretty liberal for a while now.

Not "Far left" as the OP suggests, but definitely leans to the left.
It’s not that it “leans to the left”. It’s when right wingers compare it to right wing opinionated Fox News that NPR’s middle of the road approach appears to be leaning to the left to them.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,611,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It’s not that it “leans to the left”. It’s when right wingers compare it to right wing opinionated Fox News that NPR’s middle of the road approach appears to be leaning to the left to them.
It is certainly left of center and to ignore thatis to be willfully ignorant.
The shift in the political spectrum is part of it. I have not changed my views, yet decades ago I was considered left leaning, while today many call my positions "hard right".

Old 02-14-2018, 11:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
It is certainly left of center and to ignore thatis to be willfully ignorant.
The shift in the political spectrum is part of it. I have not changed my views, yet decades ago I was considered left leaning, while today many call my positions "hard right".
I don't listen to NPR so I can't speak on it. PBS is largely about the "arts" one can argue that as a vast generalization the "arts" are "left leaning" but is that really all that offensive?

I don't know the political persuasions of those who bring their items into Antiques Roadshow. Do you?

I would guess that as a vast generalization musicians lean left but I can't ever recall a political diatribe on Austin City Limits. Have you?

Motorweek covers the gas guzzlers along with the electric cars.

I really enjoyed the program the other day on the making of the MLK speech in Washington. Do equal rights issues tend to lean left? It was very educational. Does that bother you?

Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 750,771 times
The government does not "own" a news network. The CPB, which is a private non-profit, receives federal $$, and the money is used to help fund public radio & TV stations, and their programs.

Just for the record, public radio is NOT NPR. NPR is a "network."

Public radio stations must purchase their programming. MOST public radio stations have a variety of programs from a variety of networks: NPR, PRI, APM, etc. There are also exchanges for programming.

So, a station may have Milk Street Radio (food show), Marketplace (investment & economy), Thistle & Shamrock (Celtic Music), Harmonia (early music), various classical, folk, jazz, world, blues, and contemporary music. They may air programming like Chapter a Day, which literally has books being read. There is A Way With Words, which is about words (strangely compelling). News is usually a small part of local rural stations.

Public TV is the same. They purchase programming like Masterpiece, Sesame Street (yes, it's on PBS stations as well as HBO), Daniel Tiger, Lawrence Welk (still brings people in), NOVA, Nature, This Old House, Frontline, and on & on.

So, no, I don't believe that a lot of you condemning public TV & radio actually listen or watch. You are wrong about it. It is valuable to people in areas where there isn't access to a lot of this, and/or those who cannot afford it otherwise.

The tiny amount of each taxpayer's money that goes to the CPB is tiny. And they are terrific stewards of that money, by making an investment in information, arts, entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies