Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't listen to NPR so I can't speak on it. PBS is largely about the "arts" one can argue that as a vast generalization the "arts" are "left leaning" but is that really all that offensive?

I don't know the political persuasions of those who bring their items into Antiques Roadshow. Do you?

I would guess that as a vast generalization musicians lean left but I can't ever recall a political diatribe on Austin City Limits. Have you?

Motorweek covers the gas guzzlers along with the electric cars.

I really enjoyed the program the other day on the making of the MLK speech in Washington. Do equal rights issues tend to lean left? It was very educational. Does that bother you?
I'm specifically speaking of npr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Blah, blah, blah... my local station had enough money to build their own in house theater. Time to cut the cord...

Reserve Your Seats | About | WVIA

Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
The tiny amount of each taxpayer's money that goes to the CPB is tiny.
I hear this argument often, the issue is that it's used for so many things. If I buy a coffee for $3 it's a small amount, if I do that every day for a year it's more than $1K annually.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:06 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,762,651 times
Oh, boy. All those suburban moms are going to be irate if they take away the PBS kids shows.

Good bye Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I think any "news" organization, whether it be someone like CNN, FOX, or even a station that has limited news segments like NPR should have to report unbiased news and commentary in order to receive any tax breaks or funding. Give the people some credit and just give them facts and let them come to their own conclusions.
It is unbiased, its just that this country is full of unhinged, radicalized, frothing at mouth wingnuts who rely on a steady diet of misinformation from the likes of FOX News, Breitbart, Rush, Alex Jones, etc., etc. (not to mention these same people make us the dumbest Westernized democracy in the world)

Trump is going after anyone and everyone who does not kiss his ring (like Fox and Friends…Lol) and his petulant behavior is not only tolerated by mainstream Repubs, it is endorsed and approved.

Sad what this country has turned into, it really is.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I hear this argument often, the issue is that it's used for so many things. If I buy a coffee for $3 it's a small amount, if I do that every day for a year it's more than $1K annually.
How much do the bombs we drop daily add up to? Which is doing more good?

Old 02-14-2018, 05:44 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It’s not that it “leans to the left”. It’s when right wingers compare it to right wing opinionated Fox News that NPR’s middle of the road approach appears to be leaning to the left to them.
I just read something a couple of days ago that what happens is that the real right wing leaners only - only - get news that is from right-leaning sources. So, everything they see that isn't right leaning, seems really left leaning to them. And, they go out of their way to avoid the resulting cognitive dissonance!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Y'know what? Spend your $3 on your coffee, I'll make it up for you with $3 from my taxes, because I'd rather it goes to PBS/NPR than towards the next bombing.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Y'know what? Spend your $3 on your coffee, I'll make it up for you with $3 from my taxes, because I'd rather it goes to PBS/NPR than towards the next bombing.
False dilemma fallacy. There is no reason we can't eliminate both NPR AND unnecessary bombings/foreign entanglements.

Bottom line, we should not have state run media in America. It's against the spirit of the 1st Amendment, and arguably should be unconstitutional.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I have choice to buy that coffee, I make my own instead. I'm not given any choice about funding say a theater at a public TV station...

Reserve Your Seats | About | WVIA

The bomb argument is a red herring. If there is one single function of the federal government it's the defense of this country. We can debate about whether military spending is too much or too little but that is an entirely different debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies