Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 05:56 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I can definitely see both sides.

Our city YWCA had occasional Friday night middle school dances for the 8th and 9th graders. While it was normally boys asking girls to dance they always ended each evening with a girl's choice slow dance. I was the "odd bird", a poor farm girl. I remember the night that that I asked the boy who sat next to me in art class to dance. He was part of the "in crowd", the rich kids who lived in those huge houses on East Hill. The immediate look on his face (which he quickly hid) was absolute terror as he glanced over to his rich "in crowd" friends standing near him. But, he then smiled at me and said "Yes" and we danced together. This was over 50 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. I bet that he was teased by his friends later on but the kindness that he showed to me that night was one of my fondest memories from middle school and high school.

I have a similar memory...only I was a poor boy in the ninth grade. One of the "in" girls from the rich crowd asked me to dance during the girls choice dance at the end of the evening. I still remember that thirty-one years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I actually do understand the first amendment quite well, thank you.

And no, a kid can't decide in his public school classroom who will be in his reading group. That's decided by the teacher.
Teachers are neither infallible nor gods, and they don't have the final say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The term for this is "grooming."
Yes, it is.

Quote:
The dance floor doesn't belong to students, either.
That doesn't change the fact that students have the right to say "No."

Old 02-14-2018, 08:10 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
So while "protecting" boys from hearing "no", meaning you have been judged a loser in this case, how do we protect girls who never receive an invitation for them to either accept or turn down? Are all dances by a random lottery assignment and the "asking" is just a bit of Kabuki Theatre?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A school dance rule described by a school district in Weber County, Utah as a way to teach inclusiveness raised concerns for one student's mother, KTLA sister station KSTU reported Thursday.

So apparently, this school has had this policy of NOT turning down anyone who asks you to dance. You HAVE to say yes, and dance with whoever asks you. This is a bunch of 6th graders.

The school is saying it's about being inclusive and teaching kindness. I think it's about teaching children, and especially female children that they don't have autonomy over their bodies. Honestly, if I was the mother of a female student (especially) I'd keep the student away from the dance, and go do something else special.

Either we believe that females get to have the final word on who they allow to touch their bodies...or we don't. I guess this particular school thinks it's more important to spare a boy's feelings, than it is to respect the girls' right to give consent.

Same thing goes for males, too!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
So while "protecting" boys from hearing "no", meaning you have been judged a loser in this case, how do we protect girls who never receive an invitation for them to either accept or turn down? Are all dances by a random lottery assignment and the "asking" is just a bit of Kabuki Theatre?
I have no idea what Kabuki Theatre means, but I would think this school would also protect the girls asking the boys to dance.

Does that solve your question? If the girls could ask the boys to dance and be assured of an acceptance?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
I have no idea what Kabuki Theatre means<>
It is a form of theatre where people in old fashioned clothes scream and run around to mostly drum music and scream a lot. Sort of like a rock and roll concert, only in Japanese.
BTW, you can learn things on the internet. Between Google and wiki, you should never need to say "I have no idea." Perhaps you could get away with "I have never seen or heard Kabuki, but then again, "We'll always have Youtube."
"Here's looking at you, Babe."

Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I want to completely and clearly separate myself from the idea of racial mixing. I'm much more concerned that my (grown) kids be in relationships with people who value them, are good to them, and are loving people, then the color of their skin. For that matter, color of the skin doesn't really register to me.
Where in the world did this come from?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
At the risk of playing devil's advocate...

It's usually boys doing the asking, and girls are usually more choosy. So due to how male/female attraction works, it kind of makes sense to protect the boys (emphasis on "kind of"). After all, schools protected girls from all sorts of things ever since feminism went mainstream. Of course, this creates another problem: a boy getting the idea that if a girl accepts his dance offer (having forgotten that it was mandated by the school), it means she likes him. And acting on that idea! What will the school do then? As for protecting the girls extending dance offers, boys have to accept them too, and both parties will know. So it's a level playing field.

Still, the school is screwing the pooch big time! Adults generally understand that a one-time dance is just that. While most middle-schoolers do not. I look forward to finding out what ramifications this rule will have.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-14-2018 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Everyone is reading way too much into this - I love the idea - it's one dance - it teaches people kindness and tolerance - something this society needs now more than ever.

The girl / guy accepting won't die - but the asker will feel so much better about themselves. It's a 3 minute dance - everyone will survive!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
I have no idea what Kabuki Theatre means, but I would think this school would also protect the girls asking the boys to dance.

Does that solve your question? If the girls could ask the boys to dance and be assured of an acceptance?
In this case since there is no risk in asking her part is mandated by the script is just acting while the teacher/chaperone claps her approval. However the risk that the girl feels like a loser since she was never asked remains. If she has to demand mandatory acceptance as that is the script is different from the winner girls having more offers than they can accept and girl who has to demand a dance knows it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies