Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I think you're missing my point intentionally. Canada has a much stricter immigration policy than the US, i.e. merit based, no chain migration, etc. Trump wants to follow it. Unrelated to that, you guys are not pulling your own weight; you have a much lower population density, and much more land, i.e. a lot of room for a lot more immigrants, despite some of your land not being inhabitable. It's time that Canada step up and bring in much more immigrants, you are after all always telling the world how compassionate and noble you are, time to prove it.
What part of my sentence “The merit points system in Canada doesn’t apply to either Family Class or Refugee immigration” don’t you understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What part of my sentence “The merit points system in Canada doesn’t apply to either Family Class or Refugee immigration” don’t you understand?
The part where the poster gets to demand we stay on topic by AGREEING with her idiotic premise of Canada not doing it's part when it's a statistical fact Canada is more diverse:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/latest...sity-1.3647879

21.9% of Canadians are immigrants, the highest share in 85 years: StatsCan - Politics - CBC News

One in every five people in Canada (21.9% as per 2016 census) are immigrants compared with only 13-14% in the U.S.

Per-capita: https://www.npr.org/2014/10/29/35996...a-than-the-u-s

You got some catching up to do if you're making the claim Canada isn't doing it's part. Not only is your topic header incorrect but your whole post reeks of just another thinly guised Canada bashing session with racism as it's stated meme.

So, if holding yourselves to the same standards as Canada you'd have to be LESS RACIST and INVITE MORE CULTURAL DIVERSITY into the U.S.

On topic enough for you?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 AM

39,848 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think America could learn something from Canada when it comes to immigration.

Legal immigration should be merit based. What good does a immigrant pose to society when they have no skills and will be heading straight to the welfare lines.

It is odd that America welcomes illegal immigrants while our neighbors to the North and South do not.

Legal immigration is good. Illegal immigration is not.
They vote Democrat.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The part where the poster gets to demand we stay on topic by AGREEING with her idiotic premise of Canada not doing it's part when it's a statistical fact Canada is more diverse:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/latest...sity-1.3647879

21.9% of Canadians are immigrants, the highest share in 85 years: StatsCan - Politics - CBC News

One in every five people in Canada (21.9% as per 2016 census) are immigrants compared with only 13-14% in the U.S.

Per-capita: https://www.npr.org/2014/10/29/35996...a-than-the-u-s

You got some catching up to do if you're making the claim Canada isn't doing it's part. Not only is your topic header incorrect but your whole post reeks of just another thinly guised Canada bashing session with racism as it's stated meme.

So, if holding yourselves to the same standards as Canada you'd have to be LESS RACIST and INVITE MORE CULTURAL DIVERSITY into the U.S.

On topic enough for you?
We can't win. On CD we either have open borders that let everyone, including terrorists into the country,( which somehow get through US Customs and into the US, but it's still our fault that they do ) or we are possibly racist because we don't give merit points for race, because some group in the US says so. Rather illogical.

The assumption that we are " doing our part " is really mind boggling and shows a total lack of knowledge about Canada's immigration and refugee numbers.

I'll chalk it up to the OP's ignorance on the matter since they seem unaware of the realities of their own system in the US.

I shall also offer the OP this. In Canada, immigration and refugee conversations, although important and much discussed topics, do not have the same " flash point " of controversy as in the US.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,094,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
No one is talking about refugees, you're trying to dodge the point. To immigrate to canada there is a points based system. To immigrate to the US, it's literally a lottery, often times based on "diversity" whatever that means.

I. Immigration Overview
Immigration to Canada is predominantly regulated by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, 2001 (IRPA).[1] Canada had been known to have a fairly broad and generous immigration policy, but since 2006, the government has pursued reforms to “focus Canada’s immigration system on fueling economic prosperity” and to place “a high priority on finding people who have the skills and experience required to meet Canada’s economic needs.”[2] Since 2008, Canada has been tightening its immigration policies and focusing on economic class immigrants (i.e., immigrants who have the skills and abilities to contribute to Canada’s economy) and short-term labor market needs.[3] According to 2012 Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) figures, economic immigrants receive about 60% of permanent resident visas, the majority of which are awarded under the Federal Skills Workers Program and the Provincial Nominee Program.[4] Canada welcomes about 250,000 permanent residents from all categories each year.[5]

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/points-...ion/canada.php

This is what Trump is trying to do, reform that actually helps America economically, but leftists are screaming "racism". My point id you guys do it, why aren't you accused of racism?

My second point was, you have much less population density than we do, much more land, therefore, much more room to take in more immigrants, so why aren't you? You're always bragging about how compassionate and noble you are, yet on sheer numbers you take in less than half we do, despite having more room for them than we do. So....it's time to prove it Canada.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,094,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We can't win. On CD we either have open borders that let everyone, including terrorists into the country,( which somehow get through US Customs and into the US, but it's still our fault that they do ) or we are possibly racist because we don't give merit points for race, because some group in the US says so. Rather illogical.

The assumption that we are " doing our part " is really mind boggling and shows a total lack of knowledge about Canada's immigration and refugee numbers.

I'll chalk it up to the OP's ignorance on the matter since they seem unaware of the realities of their own system in the US.

I shall also offer the OP this. In Canada, immigration and refugee conversations, although important and much discussed topics, do not have the same " flash point " of controversy as in the US.
gee....and why is that do you think?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Well, not for the assumptions you gave in your first post, that's for sure.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Perhaps because we didn't encourage upwards of 20 million illegals to enter to garner cheap labour and their votes while giving them multiple amnesties, driver's licenses, anchor baby status, welfare and free schooling?

Your victimology whining is misplaced if expecting either sympathy or understanding. Especially so if attempting to cast Canada in the role of the privileged for simply not making the same stupid mistake.

Just saying.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
I'm on board with it. I feel sorry for people who are from poor countries and are just looking for a better place for their family, but let's face it, it's very difficult, if not impossible to support a family in the US earning low wages.

These workers were welcomed here in past decades because there was a shortage of labor and the cost of living/housing was much lower. No such things exist today.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
No one is talking about refugees, you're trying to dodge the point. To immigrate to canada there is a points based system. To immigrate to the US, it's literally a lottery, often times based on "diversity" whatever that means.

I. Immigration Overview
Immigration to Canada is predominantly regulated by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, 2001 (IRPA).[1] Canada had been known to have a fairly broad and generous immigration policy, but since 2006, the government has pursued reforms to “focus Canada’s immigration system on fueling economic prosperity” and to place “a high priority on finding people who have the skills and experience required to meet Canada’s economic needs.”[2] Since 2008, Canada has been tightening its immigration policies and focusing on economic class immigrants (i.e., immigrants who have the skills and abilities to contribute to Canada’s economy) and short-term labor market needs.[3] According to 2012 Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) figures, economic immigrants receive about 60% of permanent resident visas, the majority of which are awarded under the Federal Skills Workers Program and the Provincial Nominee Program.[4] Canada welcomes about 250,000 permanent residents from all categories each year.[5]

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/points-...ion/canada.php

This is what Trump is trying to do, reform that actually helps America economically, but leftists are screaming "racism". My point id you guys do it, why aren't you accused of racism?

My second point was, you have much less population density than we do, much more land, therefore, much more room to take in more immigrants, so why aren't you? You're always bragging about how compassionate and noble you are, yet on sheer numbers you take in less than half we do, despite having more room for them than we do. So....it's time to prove it Canada.
AND you totally failed to respond to my fact based point Canada is way more diversed and on a per-capita basis, is allowing more immigration than the U.S.; points based system or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies