Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that there should be other months devoted to other races?
Yes, every race should get their own month! 29 78.38%
Nope! Black History Month deserves an entire month! Other Races Do not! 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,864,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
There may be other months devoted to other races but they are not equally treated the same. The same amount of focus and dedication that goes into african history month by the press, celebrities, etc... should be applied to ALL racial history months.
That's because you do not celebrate or acknowledge them. If you do so, then more people would. And FWIW Hispanic, Asian, and Jewish heritage months are HIGHLY celebrated because those groups make sure that they are celebrated and spoken about in media.

In my area the German, Greek, and Polish months are also spoken about a lot and there are a lot of programming, which I have attended and which I enjoy. Learning about the various ethnic groups that make up our country and make an American an American is interesting because many of us share similar histories of rising from hard circumstances and realizing an "American dream" of sorts within our families.

As noted, learn about your month and quit whining about BHM. BHM was not spoken about at length and neither were the ones above, until members of these communities pushed them into the forefront. FWIW "activism" is a huge part of "black American culture" and we do that well, which is why you hear a lot about our month. I joke we are big mouths and we talk about and make people pay attention to us. For me it is a great cultural attribute and is something that has been longstanding in regards to black Americans in this nation since the 1700s (the latter is a BHM "fact" for you to enjoy hopefully).

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,012,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because America and Americans including you benefited on the free labor of black enslaved people for YEARS The month is to acknowledge and thank blacks people for their contribution for making all of us prosperous. Having robbed their labor for generations we can spend one month honoring them. Stop the whining.
What did I benefit from? Slaves worked mainly in the agriculture culture. Cotton, Tobacco, rice, and plantations? Most white people did not even own slaves. The Chinese, had built the transcontinental railroad over the Sierras in the 1800's.... I dont see people falling over for their work in building the backbone of the US transportation economy in the 1800's....many people contributed to building this country. Not just "slaves"...

Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,084,994 times
I'm just surprised they chose the shortest month !

Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
White history gets taught in schools everyday... or at least history from a white perspective... but there is probably a lot of good stuff that is neglected.

As long as it's in a constructive manner, I like hearing about what my ancestors did in the past, and what they overcome so that I could be where I am today.

Our history in this country is very unique, and yes - there is some bad stuff in there as well, but that's what we had to deal with.

One of the good things Obama did is initiate the African American Museum. Now - they need to put everyone in there that is worthy to be in there without the political gatekeeping, but it's a good thing and can inspire many.
Wanted to note that GW Bush actually was the catalyst for the Smithsonian African American Museum, not Obama. Obama just so happened to be the sitting president when it was completed.

I've visited it and feel all black Americans should make it a pilgrimage and visit it in their lifetime. They also do have various political backgrounds and persons in the museum, not sure why people would believe that they would not.

Contrary to what many of the posters on here may believe, us black people who are "really" into black history are "into" ALL of our history. It is a fascinating subject.

I'll also note that BHM is not about "slavery" and that the slavery experience is not the only factor in black history. IMO if we are going to speak about slavery and blacks in America, both the slavery experience and black abolitionists/anti-slavery activist/activism should be spoken about in the same breadth. Too often Americans know nothing about the fascinating history of black activism in regards to the anti-slavery movement, the creation of the Underground Railroad, black emigrationist (who supported free blacks moving to other countries for more freedom) versus black anti-emigrationist (who felt that blacks should not move to other countries) and the intra-politics of black America throughout the centuries in this country.

It is a FASCINATING history and all Americans would be enlightened IMO learning more about it. Sadly though too often BHM is only a time of the year when people talk about MLK or other black people they already know about. But for researchers, it is a very fun/exciting time because we get to go to lecturers about new discoveries and learn little known things of black history. One that was the best for me was when I learned of black marroon communities of the Great Dismal Swamp of NC and VA a few years ago. Black slaves and even white indentured servants and natives who refused to be removed, ran to the interior of the swamp to avoid capture and created communities that survived from the 1600s to the end of the Civil War! It was/is a fascinating subject to me as I never knew that this occurred in America until attending a lecture during BHM and reading more about it.

Also the history of armed resistance against re-enslavement of black people who had escaped slavery in PA. Went there and learned of the Christiana Riots one year as a part of some genealogical research I was doing during BHM. Some of my ancestors lived in the community around Christiana during that time period.

Recently the fascinating history of black Detroit prior to the Civil War and how black people there actually had a boat that took escaping slaves to Canada. Detroit was a hotbed of anti-slavery activism of the free black population between 1830 and 1865.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,578,204 times
Quote:
Why is there an Entire Month Devoted To Black History? What About Asian History Month? What About Caucasian History Month? What About Middle Eastern History Month?

I think a entire month is overkill. If theres an entire month devoted to it. Then other races should deserve the same .
You hereby win the Whitest Man on CD award for the day. SMH It's like some of my fellow white people think Black History Month is a direct attempt to belittle them and that it somehow makes them smaller than they really are. I appreciate the month and hope my kids are learning all about it in school so they never ask me dumb questions like Why is there not a Caucasian History Month?

SMH

My fellow white people, instead of arguing about Black History Month, why don't you read some history once in a while and keep your dumb mouth shut?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,237,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
It’s 2018 and people are still complaining about this?
Who knew after all these years people would still get so triggered about it?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 AM

48,625 posts, read 35,078,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Lol because African Americans are American and their history is probably one of the largest pieces of history in America?

Civil Rights Movement? Slavery? Segregation?

You are comparing Americans to immigrants. In that case black folks from the Caribbean/Latin America and Africa also do not have a month. Why didn’t you include them?

This covers it, and the fact that regular history IS white history (for the most part).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm just surprised they chose the shortest month !
It was chosen due to being the birth month of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

The fact that Frederick Douglass is paid an homage IMO makes February a great month to celebrate since he is one of the most celebrated black Americans in the history of this nation.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
What did I benefit from? Slaves worked mainly in the agriculture culture. Cotton, Tobacco, rice, and plantations? Most white people did not even own slaves. The Chinese, had built the transcontinental railroad over the Sierras in the 1800's.... I dont see people falling over for their work in building the backbone of the US transportation economy in the 1800's....many people contributed to building this country. Not just "slaves"...
Slaves worked in all industries in this nation, not just agriculture. Also black Americans built the railroads east of the Mississippi River and the Chinese do speak about their contributions to the transcontinental railroad during their month. Do you get upset about them speaking of it?

I agree that many people contributed to building the country, but why do you want to ignore the fact that black people did as well? Very odd. Again, learn about your month and heritage.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,012,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Slaves worked in all industries in this nation, not just agriculture. Also black Americans built the railroads east of the Mississippi River and the Chinese do speak about their contributions to the transcontinental railroad during their month. Do you get upset about them speaking of it?

I agree that many people contributed to building the country, but why do you want to ignore the fact that black people did as well? Very odd. Again, learn about your month and heritage.
I do not get upset about them speaking of it. Everyone should all proud of their heritage, races, and backgrounds. Each one has provided key contributions that have made the society we have today. Im just saying that all should be equally treated the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies