Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post

You shall have no other gods before Me.

Why? Your god must have a fragile ego. I don't believe in your god or any others so this literally has 0 to do with my life. Why is this trifling rule the #1 on the list. Personally I'd prolly put the murder one first.

You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything.

Why? Your god must have a fragile ego if he is offended by trinkets. Shades of Muslim's not being allowed to create images of Muhammad. Again, no bearing on my life.

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.

Why would God care that some human ant in the human ant hill stubs their toe and shouts g*dd*mnit? What a petty god.

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Saturday is no different than any other day, neither is Sunday(even though Sunday is the WRONG sabbath, at least Biblically), merely human constructs of time. What a silly rule.

Honor your father and your mother.
This one is fine as long as your parents aren't scum. If your parents are scumbag criminal serial killers should you honor them? I wouldn't.

You shall not murder.
Good one.

You shall not commit adultery.
I personally live by this, some people have consensual open relationships and its no skin off my back.

You shall not steal.
Good one.

You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Good one.

You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife, or property.
Coveting your neighbors stuff is basically the foundation and driving force of capitalism so lmao

So final count is 3 good rules, 2 situationally good rules, 1 rule that is literally the opposite of capitalistic culture, and 4 useless frivolous rules all about how God has a fragile ego and you gotta be careful not to offend him. And the 3 good rules are universally accepted by basically every culture on the planet including cultures that predate the Bible.

Not a good track record for something that is supposed to be universal truth handed down by a divine being.
It is but one religion, used for guidance.. How about Jewish religion, or Muslim, Or Buddha. They all have good and bad too.
Seems like everyone is focused on Christianity as the one to pick on... But, I digress..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
It is but one religion, used for guidance.. How about Jewish religion, or Muslim, Or Buddha. They all have good and bad too.
Seems like everyone is focused on Christianity as the one to pick on... But, I digress..
I mean you specifically asked: "So, of the 10 commandments, which dont work for ya?" and I answered from my POV. I would personally expect that a God that is held up as being "perfect" would construct a better list, that's all. Just another in the many reasons I don't buy the religious shtick.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It's likely they'd use UN or foreign soldiers for such a thing, although American soldiers had no qualms about disarming people during Katrina.
When Marshal law, and the fact idiots were shooting at DHS etc, people have to understand rights are taken away for safety and security..
I dont agree, but, until it happens where I live, I cant do much about it.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry if this comes across as rude, but you should read the constitution and its amendments. Neither the original Constitution nor any of its amendments states anything about the separation of church and state, except possibly by implication. That concept was first stated by one of the U.S. "founding fathers" -- at least to MY knowledge -- in a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptists in 1802:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Lette...anuary_1,_1802

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separa..._United_States

From the Wikipedia article (my italics):

"Separation of church and state" is paraphrased from Thomas Jefferson and used by others in expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The phrase "separation between church & state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Jefferson wrote,

“ "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1] â€

Jefferson was echoing the language of the founder of the first Baptist church in America, Roger Williams who had written in 1644,

“ "[A] hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world."

(Don't feel bad, though -- a lot of people have the same misunderstanding that you did.)
I always interpreted it as Respecting a Religion means using it as an official religion to govern by.
I am not the most literate, but, we have no official language or religion, just a language and religion we were founded upon.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Didn't the crazy guy shoot white kids too?

Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Unlike other mass shooting tragedies where we aren't allowed to talk about the guns immediately after the shooting, this one feels different. People here are not only shocked and saddened, but extremely pissed off--the parents, the school kids, the town.

I have heard nothing but negative reactions to Trump's invocation this morning. What people here want to talk about is gun control and assault weapons ban.

I think one of the reasons is that the school, the teachers and the kids felt like they did everything they were supposed to. He was reported to the school officials, he was treated at a mental health clinic, he was reported to the FBI and police. So they aren't going to listen to Trump and Scott talk about only mental health while quoting scripture.

They are angry and they are determined that things will change--they are not going away and they are not going to let Scott, Trump or Rubio get away with NOT talking about the guns. I've heard it over and over today. The thing about this area is that people are not easily cowed by political BS and they are very outspoken--today they are very angry and not too receptive about listening to NRA puppets.
I see. So it's OK to politicize it for the sake of grabbing guns? Your insistence on calling for gun control, less than 24 hours after the shooting, gives me a negative reaction.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:47 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
it looks like all but two victims are white. The other two are asians. It's possible the shooter was simply crazy like OP

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Seems to me to be telling it as it is, if its 'tasteless' then its accurate, high school kids being gunned down and nobody doing a damn thing about it.........now that is what I call 'tasteless'.
People did do a thing about it. Police were called and they stormed the school and apprehended the perp. Laws are for prosecuting crime not preventing it.

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Jesus de la cruz shot mostly white kids. Any confirmation of this white supremacy claim?

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
If he did, this nonsense of an argument is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies