Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I despise meds, and I have seen two co workers get violent after stopping. I also think people need to rethink usage and monitoring of the people on them. We are a medicinal society. Just watch TV or anywhere on the internet. Drugs Drugs Drugs.. With WEBMD I diagnose myself with an illness a day.
We are a society not responsible for our own actions. We blame everything but ourselves..
We are a violent society. We are okay with kids watching crap get blown up or action movies where people get shot up, but have an issue with sex education. Just watch TV or anywhere on the internet. Violence, violence, violence. Guns are a big part of that violence too.

We are a society obsessed with violence. We blame everything but ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nothing. Due process.. They had nothing to detain or arrest etc..
Kinda like me thinking everyone on SSRI is a potential killer, this isn't minority report.
Exactly. And I do think there can be changes made there. That kid, with his history, should never have been allowed to buy a gun. ANY gun.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I no nothing about guns, but that didn't sound like an "automatic" weapon to me; the shots were slow enough to be the result of pulling the trigger each time. So what is that about???

Personally, I'd LOVE to know if he was on SSRIs at the time -- but dimes to donuts every one of these "mass shooters" is.

Someone should really look into that, but no one ever will (for myriad reasons).
There is a list pages back of shooters. Most of them were on SSRIs and I think all of them used guns.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:27 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We are a violent society. We are okay with kids watching crap get blown up or action movies where people get shot up, but have an issue with sex education. Just watch TV or anywhere on the internet. Violence, violence, violence. Guns are a big part of that violence too.

We are a society obsessed with violence. We blame everything but ourselves.
And here we finally are in total agreement. The violent culture of the United States is the biggest problem and should be the primary focus.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:29 AM

590 posts, read 555,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I realize that gun lovers see ANY attempt to discuss sensible regulations on weapons as "They are coming to take all of our guns away !", but that is not the case. No one is against someone owning a shotgun or rifle. No one is against anyone owning pistols. ( I have both rifles and pistols myself). What does not make any sense is why everyday citizens need to have machine gun type arms that spit out hundreds of rounds a minute, and why they have to have magazines that hold multiple rounds of ammo ?

These weapons are made to do one thing, spray as many bullets at people in the shortest amount of time possible. They are not good for target practice or hunting, they have ONE PURPOSE, and ONE PURPOSE ONLY.

Those are the types of conversations we need to be having, not " I am an American and can own any kind of gun I want because it is my right". If someone tried owning a nuclear missile, you can bet the constitution wouldn't protect that happening. Automatic weapons fall into that same category.
It doesn't sound like you know too much about guns. The AR-15 is NOT a machine gun, and you can't walk into a sporting goods store and pick up an AR-15 "machine gun" that's fully automatic as easily as picking up a muzzle loading rifle.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
And here we finally are in total agreement. The violent culture of the United States is the biggest problem and should be the primary focus.
But again...the vast majority of people can read violent novels, comic books, watch violent movies, etc. without EVER hurting someone else. Some people can't. Why?

A flawed analogy...

I can't drink wine. It makes me SO depressed for DAYS after. But friends of mine drink it regularly without issue. Should we ban red wine because it makes some people ultra depressed?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:34 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But again...the vast majority of people can read violent novels, comic books, watch violent movies, etc. without EVER hurting someone else. Some people can't. Why?

A flawed analogy...

I can't drink wine. It makes me SO depressed for DAYS after. But friends of mine drink it regularly without issue. Should we ban red wine because it makes some people ultra depressed?
Perfect analogy.......not flawed. I do not profess to have the answer except that I believe we need to make an effort to teach our children better than we have. Respect for others, respect for life.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:35 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Some in the media are blaming trying to blame this shooting on Donald Trump.

You really cannot make this up. These people are not trustworthy.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
AR 15 is one of millions of weapons that pushes a lead, plastic projectile at an object.
Simple people think AR15 is the devils choice. Ignorance. Conditioned by politicians to think its the rifle we must get rid of to survive the holocaust..
Correct. The VA Tech shooting killed 32. Handguns were used.

Guns aren't the problem. It's a people problem. Approximately 16,000 homicides/year are committed in the US via various methods. Gun homicides are 9,280, or 58% of them. Most of those are Black on Black murders in urban areas.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
This has nothing to do with the thread. Post it under House or Real Estate.
I was specifically asked about school-related killings. I gave an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies