Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:40 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, because in an effort to appeal to emotion, proponents of gun control HAVE REDEFINED MASS KILLING TO INCLUDE EVERYTHING. They are doing this on purpose, and it is a fake, phony, fraudulent attempt to push their agenda.

They basically want to obfuscate and manipulate by stating that mass killings are happening daily. Which is a transparent lie, since they are happening 5-10 times per year. And will continue to happen 5-10 times per year, whether or not guns even exist.
It doesn't matter what they call it. If only these 17 died due to gun violence EVER, it would be 17 too many, and demands should be made to change the system. I have no children or grandchildren, but I can tell you, if I were these parents, I would be camping out at the doorsteps of lawmakers until they grew a pair and dealt with this epidemic. Assault weapons have no place outside of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 12:40 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You are against not allowing our children to witness deadly shootings of their classmates?
<>
I'm confused as well. Are you arguing for or against allowing children to witness deadly shootings of their classmates?
I can't untangle all the negatives in your sentence, but I'll try:
You question the previous poster and ask if they are against "not allowing children to witness deadly shootings of their classmates?"
which implies you are in favor of "not allowing children to witness deadly shootings of their classmates?"

So what is your plan, turn off the TV forever?

Old 02-17-2018, 12:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
YES THEY ARE, first world countries with tighter gun controls have far, far, far less people shot to death every year (and its not even a close statistic) it doesn't matter how you try to 'discount' suicides or 'gang' violence (other countries have gangs and suicides too), it doesn't matter if you discount half the states or claim that an 'American' is somehow mentally 'different', there is NOTHING you can do to change those statistics when they are so clear, more guns = more people shot to death by guns, that is a very simple statistic. Trying to argue that guns aren't the problem is just making you and 'some' of your countrymen come across as stupid, now for gods sake wake up and do something about thousands of un-avoidable deaths (many of which are young people) we are talking about peoples lives here!
Again, silliness with obsessing on the murder equipment. The equipment and selection of method of killing is not important. And modifying the killing method will not modify the killing. In a diverse country of 300,000,000+ people, there will be X mass killings per year. Always. Regardless of guns. Guns are not the problem. Nor will motor vehicles being driven on to school athletic fields during soccer games when the guns are taken away.

Concentrating on killing hardware is so silly and naïve.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Again you are obsessing over murder methodology. How it's done doesn't really matter. Outlawing all guns will change the methodology, not the occurrence. And perhaps, there are some other methodologies that will be more effective in killing more people. So be careful for what you wish for.
Are you serious? What are you talking about, grenades? Tanks? Get real. Yes, I am obsessing, and will continue to obsess about this issue. It's ludicrous that our lawmakers have let this kind of thing get so far. And Trump just helped my making it easier for mentally ill people to be able to purchase these types of weapons.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:43 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It doesn't matter what they call it. If only these 17 died due to gun violence EVER, it would be 17 too many, and demands should be made to change the system. I have no children or grandchildren, but I can tell you, if I were these parents, I would be camping out at the doorsteps of lawmakers until they grew a pair and dealt with this epidemic. Assault weapons have no place outside of the military.
Nancy Pelosi is never going to "Grow a Pair."
"Sexism to make a point is still sexism"

Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
YES THEY ARE, first world countries with tighter gun controls have far, far, far less people shot to death every year (and its not even a close statistic) it doesn't matter how you try to 'discount' suicides or 'gang' violence (other countries have gangs and suicides too), it doesn't matter if you discount half the states or claim that an 'American' is somehow mentally 'different', there is NOTHING you can do to change those statistics when they are so clear, more guns = more people shot to death by guns, that is a very simple statistic. Trying to argue that guns aren't the problem is just making you and 'some' of your countrymen come across as stupid, now for gods sake wake up and do something about thousands of un-avoidable deaths (many of which are young people) we are talking about peoples lives here!
Since you want to bring up stats then; the rate of gun violence correlates with the percentage of black people.

Another stat; states with higher gun ownership rates have a lower rate of murder by firearm, they also have a low percentage of blacks.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Again, silliness with obsessing on the murder equipment. The equipment and selection of method of killing is not important. And modifying the killing method will not modify the killing. In a diverse country of 300,000,000+ people, there will be X mass killings per year. Always. Regardless of guns. Guns are not the problem. Nor will motor vehicles being driven on to school athletic fields during soccer games when the guns are taken away.

Concentrating on killing hardware is so silly and naïve.
No it is not silly and naive. I and millions like me will demand and keep demanding that assault weapons be removed from public purchase. Yeah, yeah, I know, criminals, bad guys, yada yada. We may not be able to eradicate all this evil, but we can sure as hell slow it down.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Nancy Pelosi is never going to "Grow a Pair."
"Sexism to make a point is still sexism"
Whatever.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Again, missing the whole problem and concentrating on the killing style and choice of killing method. Not logical. Not productive. Not rational. Not solving any problem.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:47 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Please post criminal violations prior to the shooting of your examples above.
Why? Are they not criminals once they commit a criminal act? I didn't say that they were criminals prior, I pointed out that while you want to blame an inanimate chunk of metal and plastic most of us would prefer to lay the blame where it belongs: on the heads of the people who performed the actions.

Don't blame me because you are trying to excuse their behavior by blaming the weapon used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies