Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:48 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times

Advertisements

Oh and lets not forget liberal Hollywood. Hard to find a movie now-a-days without the glorification of guns!

They make a "killing" out of glorifying guns.

Are you libs going to attack Hollywood? Boycott their movies?

Or are you a bunch of ****ing hypocrites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Easy. Make it a felony to own a weapon without a proper licence. Those who really want guns will do it. Those who don't will be prosecuted.

Or how about this - any single shot gun doesn't require a licence. Anything that is a semi automatic gun requires it.

The truth is that you don't want change because you simply don't care.
You don’t license a right.

Fail.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I hear it's working great in a city in Illinois called Chicago...

Old 02-17-2018, 04:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Uhh, you've no idea how NFA items are transferred.... do you?

His job begins with accepting the money, and ends when he delivers the firearm.

The ATF and FBI are responsible for the background check which is quite lengthy...

I purchased suppressors about a year ago... I'm still waiting for my stamps to arrive in the mail to go get them... NFA items are HEAVILY regulated...

His conscience is clear as it should be. Unless you're implying he is responsible for the ATF and FBI dropping the ball...

[b]That personal responsibility thing hasn't quite clicked yet has it...
You have it backward Hoss, you're the one seeking to absolve yourself from personal responsibility. Just because the ATF or FBI approves someone does not absolve you if you have questions about that person's motives. Legally, most likely, morally, not at all.

If bars can be liable under dram shop laws for negligently serving someone too much alcohol who is of age, why shouldn't a gun shop owner be liable for selling a gun to someone he suspects of being unhinged who may have passed a background check?

Where is the personal responsibility there?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Do you really think the NRA administration would dare be transparent about such matters?

Naivety, I see is your strong suit!
If the claim is the NRA profits from sales of firearms and ammunition, that means they engage in the business. Per the ATF engaging in the business requires an FFL to manufacture and sell firearms and ammunition. ALSO there is an ITAR tax that has to be paid to the State Department. This is all public information by the way...

I looked into getting FFLs not that long ago...

Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Name the gun control policy that would have stopped this shooting and then we can talk
Sure thing. No assault weapons.

Keep what ever guns you want for hunting or self protection. No civilian needs an AR-15.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 PM

42,849 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Seems like you LIKE the way things are now? Or maybe you want complete societal breakdown where anything does? Funny thing is that in that scenario it's people like you that won't survive long! The Conservative gun-owning ex-military prepper types will out last you by a far margin! Besides, it's not us doing the shootings, it's the left and spawn of the left with all their no-consequences drug induced behavior that does them.
I grew up in the 50's, it's not a time that you should be romanticizing and wishing for a return to. I don't see this 'societal breakdown' that you claim, but that meme does seem to be a chapter in the conservative catechism.

But about this claim that the 'conservative gun owning ex-military' can outlast me? What is that supposed to mean, they can outlast me in a shootout? I'm sure they can because my husband and I don't sit in the living room holding our guns peering out the window looking for the 'invasion' We both own guns and shoot them recreationally, my husband is a decorated ex Marine who served two tours in Vietnam, unlike some of the people in this forum we are not gun obsessed.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:05 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Sure thing. No assault weapons.

Keep what ever guns you want for hunting or self protection. No civilian needs an AR-15.
What's the difference between a semi-auto hunting rifle and an "assault weapon"?

Last edited by Colorado^; 02-17-2018 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
So what about a simple romantic stroll in the park? What about a hike along the countryside or perhaps even along the many trailways of our nation's forests? What about taking trains or buses to schools and workplaces? What can we expect once arriving to any of these places safely? Should we even think of venturing outside the security of our homes once we've safely returned?
I do every day and have for 30 years. The last 2 years I have done so with at least a pistol in my waistband.

Quote:
Exactly how many mass-shootings can the average American psyche endure, before they begin to erode our normal sense of security within this country?
When gun free zones dissolve and this ugly chaotic nonsense is thwarted and the perpetrators are extinguished on site for attempting nefarious acts against innocent kids.

Quote:
Eventually, I predict that our entire economy could be negatively effected by all these mass-shootings.
Entertaiment dollars will dwindle. Mass transit dollars, down! Restaurant profits, gone!
Entertainment dollars have been dwindling ever since the Hollywood elites started their partisan hack jobs on the president. Restaurants nah. I don't go into any that do not permit concealed carry. I support those that do endorse constitutional rights to keep and bear arms...

Quote:
I see American life changing as a direct consequence of frequent mass-shootings....

IDK, I can only hope that you're right and I'm wrong!
That's the lemming view and I am sorry you think and feel that way...

Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
You have it backward Hoss, you're the one seeking to absolve yourself from personal responsibility. Just because the ATF or FBI approves someone does not absolve you if you have questions about that person's motives. Legally, most likely, morally, not at all.

If bars can be liable under dram shop laws for negligently serving someone too much alcohol who is of age, why shouldn't a gun shop owner be liable for selling a gun to someone he suspects of being unhinged who may have passed a background check?

Where is the personal responsibility there?
in a bar setting, the server is trained to tell when someone has had too much to drink. but if you were to walk into a gun store, fill out form 4473, and the shop owner calls the information in and gets the green light to sell the firearm from the FBI or ATF, they have satisfied their legal responsibility. as to their moral responsibility, how does one look into the heart of another and try to determine why they want the weapon? are you some kind of betezoid with the ability to read peoples minds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies