Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:42 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
See how easy it is for the gun-grabbers to arbitrarily decide who's "mentally competent," and who's not?

Thanks for proving an important point. Liberals are their own worst enemies.
This is an American tragedy/epidemic, not a liberal or conservative problem. Can you honestly look these beautiful, brave children/young adults in the eye and tell them all is well.

The constitution does not just belong to you "gun huggers." People have a right to send their children to school, they should not have to worry about some rich, spoiled kid with a chip on his shoulder to run out and purchase killing machines.

Can't we at least tighten up the laws, make it harder for these people to get guns.

Arming everyone is not the answer. This is not the old west. But where does it end. Lawmakers are bowing to this weak president that cares more about Russia, then his own country. Where is the NRA? Have not heard a peep out of them. My guess is they are counting their money, to see who they will support in upcoming elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I applaud these kids for speaking out, I just wish they were pursuing an achievable goal that would actually mitigate the carnage. It seems they'd be the first to realize that gun bans aren't effective, considering the incident they were involved in happened in a place where guns are banned.
You are putting your opinions onto them. That's not the case at all - I'm certain that if you talk to many of them, you will find they do realize certain tight regs (what you call "bans") WILL be effective and that's what they are pressing for.

Throwing the old curve ball into the discussion. Wait - the school says no guns allowed, but there are 10 million in the surrounding 20 miles and vast numbers of gun shops that will sell anyone guns that can kill a LOT of people...even if the shooter is clueless!

This is akin to saying "The kids in this school realized that poison gas is no big deal because the schools does not allow poison gas on campus". Well, the gas floats there from outside the school - just like the gun culture of the crazies did.

These kids are getting somewhere fast. Check the news. Major GOP donors cutting off funds, Rubio and top Republicans telling Trump to do something.

I suspect this one is not going to fade fast. And, of course, there will be more mass shootings soon to buttress it. Maybe the millenials, in general, have more sense than the last generation.

One ex-CIA intel guy I knew (he passed away) told me that this country intentionally has various wars when no needed for important reasons - one of them being to "militarize" a percentage of the population. Just imagine...how many Americans were militarized by the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

The result is suicides and millions who came home and might have armed up. Some of the cop shooters and others were Iraq vets. But the bigger story is just having a lot of Americans who are militarized...which definitely makes a dent in the culture.

The "normal" millenials I know are not into guns en masse....and every stat I have seen show that fewer and fewer people hunt (is it down to 5 or 6%?). Also, fewer are actually owners and users of guns....although some guns owners have so many firearms it throws off the statistics.

I wonder if, for example, a shooter got into the state house and shot 50+ legislators....if Rick Scott would then consider it has gone too far. Or, is stadium shooting or tourist shooting in Disney became the rage and it was costing BIG in tourist dollars.

One thing we all have to understand. There are 100's of thousands of similar kids and teens in Florida....let alone what happens elsewhere. Regions of the US differ in how many nuts are grown there - but the Florida (lack of) culture and gun culture definitely grows some fine crops of nuts.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
hello pot, meet kettle
Very articulate and well thought out. Completely gets your point across.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
This is an American tragedy/epidemic, not a liberal or conservative problem. Can you honestly look these beautiful, brave children/young adults in the eye and tell them all is well.

The constitution does not just belong to you "gun huggers." People have a right to send their children to school, they should not have to worry about some rich, spoiled kid with a chip on his shoulder to run out and purchase killing machines.

Can't we at least tighten up the laws, make it harder for these people to get guns.

Your right this isn't a left VS Right issues at least it shouldn't be but the two parties for some reason or another want to pass the blame back and forth. Not sure how we could tighten up the gun laws even more the FBI dropped the ball on this one. They failed to do their job and because of it 17 people lost their sadly lost their lives. I'm not sure if arming teachers is the best idea if think making the schools more secure so it's harder to get it would surly help.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
that was really good, and here's another one, written by an Army veteran

https://agingmillennialengineer.com/...i-like-guns-2/

I hope at least a few people take the time to read these.
Great minds and all that -- posted that link twice somewhere in these threads.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Parkland is not a "normal" or "average" American community.

It is very liberal and very affluent.

You don't seriously think these kids came up with all these anti-gun talking points on their own within a couple days do you? Most of these kids probably know diddly about guns or gun laws.

Its no surprise that kids raised with this kind of affluence are able to get up and make speeches articulately, but no doubt it is adult activists who handed them the talking points.
Yes I do.

You obviously haven't been around young people today.

They know their stuff.

It doesn't always agree with our stuff -- but they are smart, knowledgeable, informed.

They have more information at their finger tips then we ever could imagine having.

They have been having these discussions since middle school.

We live in a world where folks admire third graders selling raffle tickets for guns but that we trash teens who are informed.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
It IS a left/right issue....Liberalism ahs slowly destroyed our culture over the last few decades! Too much coddling, drugging and permissiveness....everyone gets a trophy BS!

As for toughening up gun laws....tell us what law would've prevented this and will prevent more in the future?

This isn't a law problem....this is a societal problem.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes I do.

You obviously haven't been around young people today.

They know their stuff.

It doesn't always agree with our stuff -- but they are smart, knowledgeable, informed.

They have more information at their finger tips then we ever could imagine having.

They have been having these discussions since middle school.

We live in a world where folks admire third graders selling raffle tickets for guns but that we trash teens who are informed.
we all have access to the same information.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to paint anything any particular way. You can have 100 police contacts, or be kicked out of school a dozen times, you can make vague references about shooting up a school but the only things that will keep you from possessing or purchasing a gun in the United States is 1) A felony conviction 2) A restraining order 3) commitment to a mental health facility.
Thank you. You just made the point that background checks should be more stringent. At the very least, being expelled from school if you're 18 and wanting a gun should throw up a red flag. Actually, you should not be able to buy an AR-15 at 18. If the police are called on you 39 times, there should be at least one red flag -- hell, 39 red flags -- that something is not right somewhere.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
It IS a left/right issue....Liberalism ahs slowly destroyed our culture over the last few decades! Too much coddling, drugging and permissiveness....everyone gets a trophy BS!

As for toughening up gun laws....tell us what law would've prevented this and will prevent more in the future?

This isn't a law problem....this is a societal problem.

I haven't see the right be any more effect then the left is at running our government. I'm sorry that you don't understand that your being used by them to hate the other side. All while they keep getting rich off you, me and everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies