Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM

38,860 posts, read 25,397,197 times

Advertisements

That high school has multiple buildings, many acres of campus grounds and something like 3000 students. No security officer could be expected to cover that much ground on his own. The shooting was over before he could get there.

I've taught on a campus like that and we had an armed police officer there full time.

There's no way an individual can effectively protect a facility like that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,491,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Why would the Sheriff's office not know that's how the camera's in a school under their jurisdiction worked?
Why assume the camera system is under the juristriction of county LE.

According to that article, LE was looking to the school to address the delayed tape.

There’s not enough factual information to draw any conclusion.

1,704 posts, read 743,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
A smattering of shootings? More people died in Chicago last year than in the last 4 mass shootings combined.

A lot of us have been concerned about the destruction of Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and St. Louis. The fact that liberal leadership is more interested in perceived safety than in real safety kind of negates our concern, though.
You sure it's just "liberal leadership" or perhaps something else?

Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 12 days ago)

5,784 posts, read 3,568,605 times
Default Fla. shooting survivor's mother: We have received death threats

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...cid=spartanntp

Threatening violence against a person in order to make a social, political, or cultural statement? If actually carried out, wouldn't this qualify for most people's idea of what terrorism is? Same goes for assassination (I've heard of journalists described as assassinated, but maybe YMMV).

Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM

30,567 posts, read 21,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
LOL you think Coppers are well trained?
The people here dont have a clue. They think that all cops are supermen.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The FBI agents who ignored both contacts about Cruz wanting to shoot up the school should resign as well. As should the school board that enacted the policy so that criminals like Cruz would not be charged with crimes & instead stay in school.
Did these calls ever make it to an FBI agent? It's my understanding the calls went into their WV office where gun licenses are approved. The people that work the phones aren't agents at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm still floored. I can't believe it. I wonder if there's anything he could be charged with. I suspect there are some civil lawyers popping out the breath mints.
Wow. I hope he feels like chit. If I were him - I think I'd be moving out of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
it's almost like this is more complicated than simply adding to the supply of available guns at schools and even then nobody knows how they will react until they are in the moment. Maybe instead we could focus on figuring out ways to make it less easy for people with obvious mental health issues to have such easy access to assault weapons...I guess that's asking too much.
Well, it is. The NRA cannot advocate for any restrictions of guns at all. Because they exist to make money for the gun manufacturers - not represent the average gun owner.

This is why they come up with stupid ideas like arming teachers.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,125,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Who is expecting teachers to be security officers?

Not a single person has advocated forcing teachers to carry. Not one. But you are going to purposely distort the opposing view in order to make it seem as if that's the idea. If you can't argue without lying, you've already lost.

The purpose of armed teachers is to slow down the shooter by engaging him. Nobody is asking them to confront the shooter ala a wild west gunfight. Just get his attention long enough for the kids to get to a sage place and the police to arrive.
What was the purpose of the armed SRO? To sit outside and wait?

This guy who was a trained professional LEO couldn't manage to "slow down the shooter by engaging him" yet teachers with some firearm training are supposed to do it? Also many here have been going on and on about how an armed teacher could have taken out the killer. If a trained LEO couldn't do so how do you expect a teacher in a crowded hallway with kids running to hit a moving target that is shooting back?

This is not a movie it's real life. People freeze. Shooting into a hall full of fleeing victims is more likely to hit an innocent than the shooter. Bullets go through walls. The good guy doesn't always hit his target.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,239,793 times
We now have two cases where the police officer was on site. Orlando and this one. The Orlando cop engaged but you see how much good that did. This guy may have been a coward or simply wise. Once he hears the shots he knows he is badly out gunned and waits for backup. May even be the required procedure. Nobody in their right mind goes against an AR15 from more than 20 yards or so...it is suicidal. Get within 5 or 6 yards and you got a shot...but still not a great one.

There were also a large number of cops on the scene in Las Vegas. But they did not figure out where the shots were coming from until well into the shooting...and even then they really could not rationally fire on the shooter. And hitting him with mostly handgun fire was virtually impossible.

So no armed teachers would not have made a difference. Nor would metal detectors. The kid waited until school was letting out. and set off the fire alarm.

Face it. There is no defense against this crime. And the school board expelled this guy. You want to turn expulsion into a felony? Exactly how is that going to work.

63,919 posts, read 46,491,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What he is referring to is the policy of not arresting students who have committed crimes. You haven't heard about this?
What crime?

13,389 posts, read 6,385,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The FBI was informed in September about Cruz’s claim “I’m going to be a professional school shooter”. The next morning two FBI agents visited the gentleman who reported the post so that cannot be blamed on call center employees.
Agreed and further if the FBI Director is blaming the call center employees, why should we hold them blameless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies