Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:37 AM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Local news station sent reporter to the Peterson home and found 6--yes, SIX--sheriff's deputies guarding his house....
There is something very ironic about that...
They couldn't do anything to protect citizens from Nik Cruz but they can find 6 deputies to protect Peterson...

Plus Peterson apparently has been the resource office at Douglas for several years
News reports say he was given an earlier report that Cruz was going to take gun to school to shoot it up--
So guess he wasn't very good at investigating either...
This is where gun training alone doesn't work, you need not only the ability but the will to be able to kill someone. You also need to have tremendous judgement when to use a gun and when not to, there have been plenty of cases where guards and others chose not to fire because of danger to others.

I don't see this as a solution, just a means to avoid the real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 05:44 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Looks like there's a job open for any of you gun loving heroes to be the " good guy/ lady with a gun to stop the bad guy" here's your chance !!

As many opportunities as there are for firearms hating phobics to be martyrs in the nearest "gun free zone." Here's your chance....

Old 02-23-2018, 05:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
We are asking teachers to become soldiers.

If that is what we want -- that's a whole new ball game.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is where gun training alone doesn't work, you need not only the ability but the will to be able to kill someone. You also need to have tremendous judgement when to use a gun and when not to, there have been plenty of cases where guards and others chose not to fire because of danger to others.

I don't see this as a solution, just a means to avoid the real issues.
You are so right---
I am retired teacher
My first job was at an inner city high school off the ship channel in Houston--
Wheatley High School
I had students who were great people and those who were very troubled and I certainly had no training in how to deal with a student who walked into my classroom high as a kite and pulled a knife on me--threatened me and my class...as one did...

One of the teachers at my school--who had been there for decades--was probably in his late 50s or 60s...maybe older...teaching was a very prestigious and well paid job at that time in the black community and he would have been very reluctant to give it up---but he was not a very good teacher...

Because this was a predominately African American school, it had a faculty of almost 100 % AA --until that year when I and other new Anglo teachers were moved in by the HISD as a means of "integration" and the young AA teachers were transferred to schools w/Anglo student bodies...This man started off every new school year by showing his classes the snub nose revolver he carried on his person all the time--
As a means of warning them not to act out in his class...
Not such a big secret--
The Admin knew he carried it, all the teachers knew too--they had taught with him for 30 yrs...
So teachers likely have brought guns into schools in other cities/states
But it is just NOT a good idea...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
The biggest, problem now, to me are assault rifles and mental illness. Of course booze kills, we know that. However, the deranged killer in Florida, did not walk in with a bottle of booze and throw it the face of those innocent people.

We have lots of problems and issues, lets get the assault weapons out of our lives....We also have a huge problem with the NRA, they seem to be owning some of our "leaders," and running our country.

The NRA, CEO, saying people don't care. The audacity.

New voters, around the corner, wake up congress.
It sure would help if people were using the correct definitions.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
So much for the police state being a safe state. Having guns may be dangerous, but not having them is even more dangerous.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:15 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've been saying this for years.

Get the money OUT of politics. No more lobbying by the NRA, Planned Parenthood, etc.

Give equal time to candidates in forums like newspapers, local and national news stations, etc. I believe this could also help break up the two-party system.
I would agree with you, but there's a problem. We have a national media that has an agenda aligned with the Left.
They are the Master Lobbyists.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Whatever. I am an unashamed 2A advocate, but I don't actually belong to the NRA. . Is this supposed o make me hide my head in shame? Ain't working. But I'm actually saying the NRA needs to put their money where their mouth is and if they truly believe, as I do, that armed school staff would be an effective deterant they should pony up for training, drafting qualification requirements and even supplying firearms and maybe even metal detectors, x ray machines and I'm sure there is other gear they could afford to at least help with.

Both sides in this are spouting the same old crap. Two ends of extremes. I both own and use semi auto firearms of various types, and I won't personally be running to turn any in. Good as that may make folks like you feel I'm not concerned with that.

And there's a reason these nut cases target schools so heavily. Predators like easy prey. Perhaps I do sound like I could work for the NRA, but that's at least 4 full grades ahead of being a mouthpiece for Pelosi and Feinstein.
There are no bans and never will be outside some big cities who have plenty of residents who own firearms. If the pass an assault weapons ban then most will comply and prices will rise.

Sure armed staff is probably a deterrent but it certainly not a prevention by any stretch of the imagination. Missing from this discussion is nobody seems bothered to discuss such proposals with the teachers themselves - I have worked in schools as a teacher and as a gun owner I can tell you that 95% of the teachers I have met would be against carrying or using a firearm and many would consider it counter to their mission set a good example for their students.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We are asking teachers to become soldiers.

If that is what we want -- that's a whole new ball game.
Two teachers were brave enough to shield kids with their own bodies. I'm willing to bet they would have had the stones to engage this loser.

Instead they had a barny, no bullet , fife. Unreal.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I would agree with you, but there's a problem. We have a national media that has an agenda aligned with the Left.
They are the Master Lobbyists.
The entire national media?

Do you mean media outlets like:

The Economist
Wall Street Journal
National Review
The Weekly Standard
Washington Times
The American Conservative

Not to mention the fact that talk radio skews heavily to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies