Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You know, that's the big problem with the internet. Under the protection of the First Amendment you can write most anything that pops into your head and somewhere, someone will read it and wonder if it is true. This is very common when someone makes a broad statement about something that everybody accepts. Dozens , perhaps hundreds of people are reading this thread so some one is bound to poke their head up and ask, "Is that really true?" This guy.
Now you were specific to say gun lobbying group. I realize, but what is that relative to all lobbying?
So, guess who is not even on the list of top ten lobbying groups?
https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s

Here's what they spent in 2014 on federal politicians:
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/rec...&id=d000000082

Here is where money was spent last election cycle:
https://www.opensecrets.org/news/issues/guns/

In another article on that site, they write,
"The main driver of the growth in spending, however, came from two program areas:
legislative programs and public affairs, which together accounted for about
$75 million in the overall growth. "

Hmmm. Still studying your statement.

I'm also exploring https://www.followthemoney.org/ to see what they report.

The validity of your statement is not yet clear to me. I know that this is not part of a PhD thesis program, but we all seek the truth, eh? Back in the usenet days I was taught to be able to back up my claims by the response of "Cite?" whenever I made a claim. I tried to be ready with a link to back up what I claimed.
SO.
What you say may be true but the data I have found so far does not back up your statement.
"Cite?"

Oh, and BTW Also I searched global lobbying to see if "In the World" was possibly the case. That opens up whole new can of worms which is for a later date as it is OT for this thread. India is a pretty big country, three times the size of the USA, eh?
\https://sunlightfoundation.com/2016/...ng-disclosure/
Weren't the Usenet days neat? At least back then SOURCES were important unlike in todays world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yeah, well you liberals break windows, start fires, and attack innocent bystanders when you don’t get your way.

...see how that works?
Again, nothing to do with these kids who are being accused of being liars. Imagine if you had watched your friends being slaughtered right in front of you, and then having people tell you you are lying about the experience, or that what you have to say about the matter isn't valid.

Do you think they'll just forget that the first time they step into the voting booth? And many of them will come November.

See how that works?

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I don't take issue with anything you said. However, the underlined portion bothers me. Not you specifically, crembrulee, but to know that a law enforcement officer, who swore an oath to protect us, froze. I get it, people freeze when under extreme stress, such as a madman firing hundreds of rounds with a rifle. Many of us would probably freeze. But to hear that a law enforcement officer froze really disturbs me.

And apparently, the deputy retired yesterday, so that means he's got at least what, 20+ years of service as a Sheriff's Deputy? And the one time he probably ever had to draw his weapon to save the life of another, he failed, miserably.

I do not fault the man, as you and I agree that it's human nature to be scared in a situation like that. But I am pretty disappointed.
It is the reason armies stress unit cohesion and big city police departments generally don't try to save money by sending officers out alone. Teams build your confidence. Back in the early 90s at the height of the Crack gang wars I was working in the Compton CA schools. In Compton, Centennial and Dominguez High Schools the school police generally patrolled as a four officer squad.

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why do people keep repeating this lie

the AR15 was designed for civilians..the military liked the INITIAL CIVILIAN design and then militarized it.. the M16 is/was full auto and semi...todays are 3rnd burst and semi

the ar15 is NOT an assault weapon..and NOT military grade
"Military grade" just means it comes from the lowest bidder.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
We should not split hairs here, the fundamental problem is gun lobbying. The NRA is the largest and wealthiest gun lobbying organization in the world. Of course, there are a few others of relative insignificance, comparatively speaking.

The NRA has deeper roots and long established political routes that reduce any inefficiencies in communicating lobbying efforts. Also, lobbyists of the same ilk I'm certain must align themselves to accomplish similar objectives, otherwise they would be trampling over one another's toes. Besides, it's the arms industry that ultimately fuels the gun lobbyists anyway. They all work in unison to the benefit of all the firearms industry.
This is a problem period. Get rid of all lobbying, not just a select few. The NRA is hugely successful because huge numbers of people want and own guns. These people vote religiously.... and are very much single issue voters. Even the democrats know that guns are the 3rd rail in politics, not because of the money but because they will be voted out.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Are you so dense that you didn't know what this thread is about? What else would a gunman use? A boomerang?
Temper, temper. Name calling isn't allowed and is a sign of a weak argument.

I believe the use of a gun during mass killings deserves to be in a list of common threads between events.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Well maybe people don't want grieving , emotional, PTSD children trying to dictate weather they can lawfully and responsibly own a fire arm. These are people that have been through a traumatic experience and don't have enough real world experience to be thrown/paraded on to TV by CNN to tell the country that they should give up their firearms. Nobody wouldn't have known who the majority of these children were if CNN didn't throw them on TV to push their anti-gun agenda.
What about grieving , emotional, PTSD adults on Sept 12, 2001 (not just surviving loved ones, but substantial segments of a nation) deciding whether the nation should go after al-Qaeda, more stringent airport security, and - wait for it - keep Muslims from coming into this country! If certain "grieving , emotional, PTSD" people worried about "our freedoms", then what about certain students at that high school (undoubtedly many seniors are 18, some likely even 19) who experienced something just as traumatic who are worried about their safety in school?

Of course, one solution is to simply raise the age for doing ALL adult things to 21 (including the legal age of adulthood itself). However, that comes at the price of saying 20 year olds typically lack the mental competency to die for this country, thereby reducing the potential combat personnel potential of our armed forces. Is that a price you find worth paying?

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
No.

It would appear that you were listing the problems that would require an armed solution.

You first stated that (1) a large number of unsuspecting victims were in a confined area or location.

Well, people located in a confined location is not the problem. The problem is the rapid fire delivered by a weapon of war, primarily designed to kill large numbers of people, efficiently. That then would require a gun. A semi-automatic firearm with rapid fire capability.

This was my understanding of Magritte25's response to your post.
Nailed it.

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That's rather deliberately disingenuous. I have stated repeatedly that armed school staff needs to be properly trained and able to work under pressure in such a manner as to be EFFECTIVE. No, that is hardly stating that the lunch lady and students should be armed. Proper training is readily available and I do believe the NRA and others can and should step up with such PROPER training. Sheesh...AKs. Seriously? Idiocracy indeed. A school doesn't need every swinging d*** to have a gun to have proper protection for Pete's sake. Matter of fact, not knowing who is armed and when is deterance enough. Protected by SW three days a week...you guess which three. It's about making a hard target, NOT an armed forward operating firebase. Just please stop with the theatrics. It's typical of the anti firearms mentality, but it's melodramatic and quite frankly VERY stale.
Theatrics? Seems rather theatrical to think that school staff can be trained to be effective in a mass shooting due to what four hours of NRA training? Or maybe they should all go the Police Academy for 20 weeks, or how about Marine basic training?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:33 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

The superintendent of Broward County’s public schools, Robert Runcie, appeared to blame the killing on the poor state of Americans’ mental health. “What I’ll tell you is that mental health issues in this country are growing and it’s a challenge.” That is an explanation favoured on the right. It does not take account of the fact that the toll of gun violence in other rich countries, with comparable health indicators, is negligible by comparison. America’s gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher than a group of 22 other developed countries, according to the American Journal of Medicine. This is mainly because America has so many more guns than those other countries. It has less than 5% of the world’s population and almost half of the world’s civilian-owned firearms.

https://www.economist.com/news/unite...s-unable-solve
how do these compare to other countries

do other societies have kids/adults who are mentally ill shooting up movies, concerts, schools, churches???...

do other societies have kids eating tide pods....??

do other societies have people marching through cities with vaginas on their heads......???

football (sports)fans destroying towns/stores win or lose.......?? well maybe. European soccer.. but again fanatics tend to be crazy

do other societies have natural disasters happens and all the looting, and looting NOT of food and water, but of 55" tvs and Nikes sneakers......??

do other societies have .11pm commercials on tv for dial a tramp.........??

do other societies have........... springbreak and 'girls gone wild'.............??

do other societies have competition of best video for smack the white guy with a brick to the head..............??

do other societies have mad rush black Friday stampedes that kill/injure people...................??

do other societies have shut the government down to support illegals while hurting real citizens.............??

this is what needs to be addressed...there is a mental stability problem in our(USA) society, and its getting worse year by year.....its not a tool (gun) that is the problem...its a world (at least our world in the USA) gone crazy

to sit there and repeat/repost an article that has the audacity to lie and say
Quote:
It does not take account of the fact that the toll of gun violence in other rich countries, with comparable health indicators, is negligible by comparison

our societies (especially in America) are going crazy...totally crazy...evolution is moving towards our ultimate end... extinction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies