Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:28 AM

42,777 posts, read 26,067,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
That's why you have to arm all of the teachers and also some of the students.
yep, and janitors and lunch ladies, librarians, landscape crews, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,565,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no, you'd have to have them at several entrances and close off other entrances...and the teachers closest to those entrances, would need to have a key to open those doors in the event of an emergency, or have automatic locks on them, that would open those doors....

We have them in our building....
Its probably much easier and more economically feasible to retrofit every single school and place of public accommodation in the country to support TSA level security than do what literally every other Westernized country has successfully achieved when it comes firearm control.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
no, you'd have to have them at several entrances and close off other entrances...and the teachers closest to those entrances, would need to have a key to open those doors in the event of an emergency, or have automatic locks on them, that would open those doors....

We have them in our building....
And an armed guard at each metal detector The cost for one year to put an armed guard in every school in the US, at the ratio of one guard per 1,000 students is 24 billion dollars, but I guess it's better to do that than to regulate who can have a semi-automatic weapons with a high capacity removable magazine huh?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:32 AM

52,488 posts, read 34,224,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
if these threats were made, this makes me sick. I wouldn't necessarily blame the right as the left is very capable of inflicting harm to its own and claiming the despicable act was done by republicans. we see these stories that turn out to be false all the time.

the depth of the slim the media has poured on this tragedy has been hard for me to fathom. the press are no longer journalists but social justice warriors.
yep. +1.

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Its probably much easier and more economically feasible to retrofit every single school and place of public accommodation in the country to support TSA level security than do what literally every other Westernized country has successfully achieved when it comes firearm control.
They have comprehensive health coverage.

13,389 posts, read 6,406,461 times
Quote:
That's why you have to arm all of the teachers and also some of the students.
No one is proposing arming ALL teachers.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,675,006 times
Quote:
I kinda think what he's referring to, is this.....

I watched a video shot of a man who confessed he had mental problems, tramatic home life, he was fat, he said, he had no confidence and was being bullied terrible in school. He said, his cloths smelled b/c his parent didn't wash his clothes, he smelled because he wasn't able to shower, so compounded on all this, the kids at school hated him, mocked him, said horrible things to him..(he started to cry) while explaining, that he started to plan a mass murder at school and hide guns all over the place so he could get to them quickly.
Somehow someone helped him, one person took pity and he went for help and had severe counseling...now he's married, with a wife and kids, and is fine, but to relive what he went thru was pretty tough to tell and pretty tough to listen to.

So my54ford, might be making some points unless I'm not understanding what he is saying or what you replied? Not sure....
I thought I wrote NOT in front of solved
But was using my phone so didnt catch the omission
Thanks for pointing it out

Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,574,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
CNN is reporting this sad development in this tragedy. Not exactly a portrait in courage but another reason these assault weapons need the be outlawed.
At first when I heard about it, I thought the cop should be ashamed for not entering the school and helping out but then I wasn't there and don't know what prompted him to stay outside. I had read the killing took a total of 6 minutes. If I were in his shoes, I don't know what I would have done. It was chaos in there.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For some situations that is the SOP. When we ran training with a single cop entry he got killed every single time. Except for once, they didn't even know what hit them.
For 'some situations', of course but not this one. There was no one else on scene who could have stopped the carnage, it was his job to go in and take out the shooter. It is for situations like that why we are willing to pay law enforcement officers more than we do teachers; it's a dangerous job and you might die saving others.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They have comprehensive health coverage.
Health coverage is an issue in this country, but there has been nothing reported to indicate the shooter did not have access to mental health care. Whether or not the adults/system supporting him ensured he availed himself of this care is less clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies