Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
man stopped Texas church shooter fro escaping, besides that a Texas cop with a handgun stopped two men armed with K-47

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...took-down.html
The guy at the TX church got in the act after 26 were dead.

The cop at the cartoon attack was manning a defensive position behind a car with the shooters coming at him at close range.

Neither incidents bears on the school shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Oh wow, three other Broward County deputies didn't go in either. The Coral Springs police department actually went into the school.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...cid=spartandhp
My Lord, My Lord.... I just can't fathom... I can't comment. How the hell do you look at yourself in the mirror any day fr the rest of your life? 17 people gone now. 14 kids. I cannot comprehend

Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Oh wow, three other Broward County deputies didn't go in either. The Coral Springs police department actually went into the school.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...cid=spartandhp
Sad that none of these deputies were willing to go into the school, and save children.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Sad that none of these deputies were willing to go into the school, and save children.
Sad and unforgivable. I wish they could face charges. That Sheriff can't keep his job after all of this. These four are worse than pond scum. They're miserable failures. I don't know if any of them are married, but their wives need to leave them. They won't protect their family.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Not to worry, all. The Florida legislature is taking concrete steps to make such this horror never happens again:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/fl...rnd/index.html

Beginning July 2018, if the bill is passed, all public schools must display the motto "In God We Trust" in a conspicuous place.

As the sponsor said:

"It is not a secret that we have some gun issues that need to be addressed," said Rep. Kimberly Daniels, a Democrat, said on the House floor Wednesday. "But the real thing that needs to be addressed are issues of the heart."
Sweet Weeping Jesus.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
[quote=Taiko;51123316]I think this Sheriff and everyone crying coward should be the ones on the front lines charging a gunman with help 5 minutes away. If that kind of fighting was expected then the society should have paid for a squad of officers able to cover and support the rest of their team[/QUOTE

They did, but when they showed up they cowered behind their car while no shots were being fired, probably watched the gunman leave and waited for more backup while children were possibly bleeding out inside.

Coward County has some housecleaning to do.......... starting with the POS Sheriff.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The guy at the TX church got in the act after 26 were dead.

The cop at the cartoon attack was manning a defensive position behind a car with the shooters coming at him at close range.

Neither incidents bears on the school shooting.
Which is what I am getting at. The bad guys came into the officers killing zone. We are suprised that a single officer didn't charge into someone else's kill zone?

With this Sheriff all that I could think of is the French Generals of Paths Of Glory drinking wine in their fancy uniforms with stars all over them planning to execute their own soldiers who could not stand up to the fire in no man's land.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
So the news is reporting several Broward County officers decided not to go, even when Coral Springs of arrived on the scene , they still didn’t go in.

I can’t bkame them, I’m sure cops are tired of being outgunned. More reason why the average person should have that much firepower
I can blame them--
I live in FL---I pay property tax to support my county's sheriff's dept even though this is not my primary residence and I can't vote for sheriff or any county governance board...which I think is a crock--
If I own property in a state I should be able to vote locally and have a say in how my property taxes are spent
I can understand not getting double votes for federal offices like President--but even Senators and Congress votes should be allowed since these offices do make decisions that affect my taxes in both states...
No taxation w/o representation was the mantra for the American Revolution--well I have that right now...

I see how sheriff Dept's in FL don't do much heavy lifting when it comes to crime and dealing with street action because of the way Florida has organized its LEO communities
We live in unincorporated area in Sarasota county----gulf coast side of FL not close to Broward but sure it works similar
In my neighborhood because we are unencoporated Sarasota county if we need police help for burglary, domestic violence, people speeding in our neighborhood we have to call the sheriff's Dept
They NEVER drive through our neighborhood as preventative measure like I see in my house in TX where I live in a town with a city police Dept....
I don't have very high opinion of them because you never SEE them in action

In Texas the sheriff's Dept is county agency---they go into unencorporated areas just like in FL but you see them when you are in the more rural areas away from towns
They will set speed traps, they serve warrants which can be a dangerous action, they will do drug busts because lot of the meth action and grows happen in rural areas away from most towns
So I think from my experience a sheriff deputy in TX is more likely to have some real time police action than in FL

Those deputies were soft---and maybe they were scared--but as I had cause to be reminded of the other day
"courage is not the absense of fear--it is the mastery of it"

Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Default 4 Broward County Officers Did Not Enter School

From the link:
When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/polit...CNNPolitics=Tw

Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Too bad he didn't have half the guts that the ROTC kids had. They faced danger, saving lives in the process. They were heroes. This guy was a coward.

He was being paid to do a job. He failed to do it, and kids died. Do we know if him engaging would have saved lives? No. But we know for sure that hiding out instead of engaging wouldn't.

This kid was handed to authorities on a silver platter, and at every turn, the taxpayer funded authorities that should have been responsible instead dropped the ball. And we want to hand over our safety to them? Nope, nope and nope.
That is SO true. Those ROTC kids were brave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
And it gets worse. When Coral Springs Police showed up at the scene 3 other Broward County Deputies were waiting outside behind their vehicles with guns drawn but not entering the school. They sent the second responders in?!?!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...7Kz&ocid=edgsp
I mean, that is just WOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So now 4 good guys with guns couldn’t stop a bad guy with a gun. Simply reinforces my opinion of what tough talking gun owners are really made of.
I think it's different when they are the ones being hunted. Lotta big talk on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can not blame him for what the shooter did but you can blame him for not doing his job. He did not do what he was trained to do.
Absolutely he did not. And perhaps 3 others did not as well. How many times can we fail these kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
War dogs react that way, but then I don't think a dog really understands what that stick the human is holding can do. Thinking that people can be trained to walk into death and expecting perfect compliance is silly
I agree. Which is why when Trump addressed Cpac today bragging about how if a teacher had had a gun at that school - the teacher would have 'shot the hell out of them' appears to be more magical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies