Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
The question should be, why are our children so full of anger and feel a need to kill?

Not, hey we need to ban guns.
Quite a few kids don't cope very well adversity or failure, they always need to blame someone and go to extremes. Every one of these incidents have two things in common, some degree of mental illness and easy access to guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Unfortunately, if we ban semi automatic weapons, bombs will be next. People who are determined will succeed. We are raising crazies here. That’s a fact. Now I do believe semi automatic weapons have no place in the home. I am so far from a gun fanatic. Never owned one and don’t think I have ever seen one besides holstered to a cop. And the pellet gun i used to shoot at my weekend house upstate ny with my father. Used to shoot at a can lol
Point is, yes I believe semi automatic weapons should be banned for the average person. No need. A hand gun is enough protection to bear arms for protection. But I do not believe it will solve our problems. Homemade bombs will take their place. Or cars.
We have a problem in this country and it’s not all guns. It’s hate. It’s lack of morals. Lack of values. No value for life.
Asinine analysis. Why doesn't any other country in the world have school shootings anywhere near the rate we have in the US? You think that all other countries have better morals and values than Americans? That's a pretty pathetic way to look at the country - not to mention, very inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Quite a few kids don't cope very well adversity or failure, they always need to blame someone and go to extremes. Every one of these incidents have two things in common, some degree of mental illness and easy access to guns.
Every country has mental illness. The US is the only one with such easy access to guns.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:05 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Not really. It's disingenuous to say that PTSD is easily cured, no prob.
It's disingenuous to lie and say I said that it was easily cured

I said there are treatments

1,259 posts, read 1,250,476 times
As long as the 2nd amendment is in place, anti gun folks will ALWAYS lose this argument. ALWAYS! Get rid of the 2nd amendment and we will no longer have the 1st amendment.

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Why do people seem to think there's only one way to curb school shootings? Or maybe it's the pro-gun crowd who think that, I don't know. The other thing they say is that we'll never be able to stop gun violence, which is true, but if we can stop one school shooting a year or one a month, is that not progress?

Now if I stopped my post there, the first response would be, "Well, what would you do about it"? And I'd say, well, I'm trying to get the elected morons we put in power to do something about it but all they want to do is think and pray it away.

I think and pray all the time. I said a prayer about those affected by this tragedy today. Not to pat myself on the back or anything.

But we need to have a conversation about gun violence in this country. And yes I said gun violence because, as much as this may shock you, we need to have that discussion even though we have murders here using devices other than guns. Someone please look up the last time we had a kid bomb a school. It might have been that failed attempt in Colorado back in 1999.

Many things need to be addressed as in how are these folks getting their guns. If legally, is there anyway to stop this? If illegally, is there anyway to stop this?

Maybe we do need metal detectors at all schools. However, does that mean that every person who comes to that school at any point of the day goes through a detector? OK. Who staffs the detectors all day long? I used to do part-time security at high school football games and we ran metal detectors. I asked my liaison at the school district if they do this for kids on normal school days. He literally rolled his eyes and said it would cost too much money.

In fairness to him, there hadn't been a recent school shooting. But how much money is too much money to protect our kids?

I keep hearing we need to talk about mental illness. I'll be honest. I suffer from major depression and anxiety and I'm not a threat to anyone except probably me. Most mentally ill people are not threats to others. The thing I fear is that when folks say we need t have a discussion on mental illness when it comes to mass shootings, that will only increase the stigma of mental illness making it even harder to get the folks that need the help the most to get the help. Remember, most of the mentally ill never hurt another person in their lives no matter what mental illness they have.

My point? When we have the national conversation whether it be a month away, a year away or long after all of us on this message board are dead and gone, can we stop saying, "Well, you'll never change the culture in America?" Because that's exactly what we need to change.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
some may... and there are treatments for PTSD

Are they are any cures for the "typical disregard and non empathy towards not just liberals, but everybody " aka Conservatism???

Too many of them in this forum.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
It's disingenuous to lie and say I said that it was easily cured

I said there are treatments
By and large, they don't work.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
I would hope that trump is planning to make it better than the piece of garbage obozo had

we need REAL regulations on mental illness, not pats on the back

How's THAT working out for you? If that Orange Blossom had his way, even less people would have health-care access so mental health would get worse
Look I STILL do feel bad for the innocent people harmed, but it's getting harder to even feel bad for America as a whole, because it's pretty dang obvious you don't really want to even try to help yourselves. ANY restrictions no matter how minor, are met with mass hysteria( they're gonna take ALL our guns away Cletus. Tell Mee-Maw to hide them!)
I also feel it's too little too late.
Something could have been done a long time ago, where the 2A was still honored, but where mass shootings
Could have been reduced. But you all didn't want it, so America- you are reaping what you've down. Own it and accept it and deal with it. Pretty soon the rest of the world is going to get sick and tired of hearing it, to the point where many might say " too bad so sad- you live by the gun, you perish by the gun. We don't care if you all wipe each other out"

Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You expect Trump and the Republicans to have a plan?
I expect SOMEONE to finally come up with a plan to address the mental illness issues we have in our society

maybe you have a plan that you could suggest to the government

Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Should people who hear voices talking to them, (say for example, Jesus) be able to buy guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies