Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:13 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I love threads that make it clear who failed high school statistics.

Using your words, explain Norway. I'll wait until it dawns on you.
The plain fact is that there are mass shootings, bombings, and killings all over the world. The U.S. is not unique.

Norway - 77 DIE

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...anne-seierstad

Paris - 128 DIE

https://www.cnn.com/2015/11/13/world...ing/index.html

Just two recent examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 06:30 AM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
So people on this thread actually believe that Norway, which has had 1, I repeat 1, mass killing in it's history, 7 years ago proves that they have a higher probability of this than the US, which has had 30 just this year? Really?

So everyone on here believes that they are far more likely to suffer a mass attack in Norway than in the US.

I would wager that we will have, and continue to have, more mass shootings than all the other countries of the world combined this year, as we have every year.

This is bordering on the absurd.

And being retired Military, I own guns and support the right of law abiding citizens to own theirs. But reasonable people should be able to agree that something has to be done to stop this senseless slaughter of our kids.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
So people on this thread actually believe that Norway, which has had 1, I repeat 1, mass killing in it's history, 7 years ago proves that they have a higher probability of this than the US, which has had 30 just this year? Really?

So everyone on here believes that they are far more likely to suffer a mass attack in Norway than in the US.

I would wager that we will have, and continue to have, more mass shootings than all the other countries of the world combined this year, as we have every year.

This is bordering on the absurd.

And being retired Military, I own guns and support the right of law abiding citizens to own theirs. But reasonable people should be able to agree that something has to be done to stop this senseless slaughter of our kids.
Norway, is just one incident. There are many worldwide where gun ownership is far less than in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

So what should reasonable people do to stop the insane from breaking the existing laws, including gun laws, and laws against murder?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,544 times
Guns or no guns as a debate, all our numbers regarding health care and infant mortality, education, social impact, economic, infrastructure, and yes, gun violence puts us bordering the edge of becoming a third world country. It's getting embarrassing. We're so busy arguing about crap we can't take pride in our country, and it's sadly taking its toll.

Living in a country that you fear there's a chance that your child might die to try to get an education from statistics is ridiculous. It really puts the 3rd into our world. We really need to get our crap together and this is definitely part of that picture. (and I'm not a liberal, so save that line)

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Norway, is just one incident. There are many worldwide where gun ownership is far less than in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

So what should reasonable people do to stop the insane from breaking the existing laws, including gun laws, and laws against murder?
I would say that it's a combination, as you pointed out, of helping the mentally ill, keeping them from getting weapons, if possible, and teaching our kids better coping/social skills.

I would also say that we need to make a shift culturally away from glorifying violence and insinuating that it's the answer to someone's problems.

The gun debate is moot at this point, the SC has ruled and until that court shifts heavily in the other direction, then there is little to zero chance of the 2nd Amendment being changed on a national level. It remains to be seen what state's decide to do at the state level.

One thing is certain, as the demographics in this country change, and the young people most effected by these tragedies grow up, THEY will change it because all those millennials, gen-xers, gen-y will soon outnumber us boomers at the ballot box and that is probably a very good thing, because they have a very different outlook on life and people.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
One thing is certain, as the demographics in this country change, and the young people most effected by these tragedies grow up, THEY will change it because all those millennials, gen-xers, gen-y will soon outnumber us boomers at the ballot box and that is probably a very good thing, because they have a very different outlook on life and people.
Not so fast.

I'm not aware of any mass shootings when the Baby Boomers were in high school. And guns were easier to get then, than now.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I would say that it's a combination, as you pointed out, of helping the mentally ill, keeping them from getting weapons, if possible, and teaching our kids better coping/social skills.

I would also say that we need to make a shift culturally away from glorifying violence and insinuating that it's the answer to someone's problems.

The gun debate is moot at this point, the SC has ruled and until that court shifts heavily in the other direction, then there is little to zero chance of the 2nd Amendment being changed on a national level. It remains to be seen what state's decide to do at the state level.

People tend to get more conservative as they age, so don't be so sure younger people will keep their progressive, anti capitalist, government centric views they have now. However, I agree it is a possibility. They would have to amend the Constitution to do anything meaningful, and it may come to that. State actions are all unconstitutional, but the activist courts uphold their illegal laws, and the Supreme Court refuses to hear the cases.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Mark Twain said there are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Selected cherry picked data set to skew the one big shooting in norway. 77 people died in a country of 6 million. To get the same rate per million, someone would have to kill over 3500 in the US.

expand the years to say 2000 to 2017.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Liberals pervert society, then take people's gun to control the subsequent chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies