Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 AM

4,942 posts, read 2,195,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there no defination of an assault rifle, A ruger 22 pinker has the same characterize as an ar15
A Ruger Mini 14 is a hunting rifle that is functionally identical to a AR-15.

A Ruger Mini 30 is a hunting rifle that is more deadly than a AR-15.

Mass shooters are buying AR-15s because of their popularity and lack of knowledge of weaponry. In most states, long rifles are also easier to purchase than handguns - especially if you are under 21.

Also, don't discount the media and film industry's impact on selling AR-15s.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 02-16-2018 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 07:18 AM

50,081 posts, read 46,663,334 times
CA gun owners have already proven any BS AW ban can be easily circumvented. The ONLY way it could be done is to make it so overreaching it would affect 1/2 the gun owners in the U.S. with an all out, door to door confiscation with the military.

So, your gun goes into a database, big whoop. Databases don't stop mass shootings. We are buying modified ARs and AKs here in CA and it's illegal to buy a AW. So we slightly modify them to get around the law.

Anyone who thinks they did anything by this law is a complete fool. So, in summary, go ahead. It won't change a damn thing.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:20 AM

50,081 posts, read 46,663,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The Clinton gun reform (i wouldn't even call it a ban) didn't work last time, nor will it work this time. Whats that saying...."doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

I highly doubt Trump will sign any gun control bill. I highly doubt any gun control legislation will even be debated in congress. I mean a bunch of Republicans got shot up in a field by some leftist loon (one almost died) and what happened? They shrugged if off like "oh man that guy is crazy".
Nothing happened because, besides an all out confiscation, nothing can happen.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM

17,343 posts, read 9,157,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When Trump was a candidate, I was always leery of him as a DEAL MAKER. Would he sell out our 2A Rights for something that he PERSONALLY valued more? I leaned towards that yes he would. Now that he has been in office for over a year, I don't think he will, as he seems to be keeping his word. Always, a possibility though.
Why does everyone always ignore the Constitution? No President can "change" the words and the words give the Citizens the right to bear arms. The Leftists always ignore that, IF they feel so strongly that American Citizens should not have a gun, then they should put it in their platform, campaign on it and propose a Constitutional Amendment.

I have every confidence that President Trump knows and will follow the Constitution and our Laws.
I also have every confidence that Leftists will continue to Cherry Pick the Laws they like and who will follow them. We either have Laws that people follow OR we are a Banana Republic.

This is simple stuff.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 802 times
No as long as NRA keeps giving them money nothing will happen.

“In the 2015-2016 election cycle alone, GOP candidates took $17,385,437 from the NRA not including the 21 million Trump got

Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,850,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there no defination of an assault rifle, A ruger 22 pinker has the same characterize as an ar15
That's part of the problem you know......we don't have clear understanding (most of us -- even many gun owners) of the differences of guns.

AR-15's seems to be the gun of choice for these mass shooters but is that because of price point or what it can do or just because it is the most popular and that's what folks get? I don't know.

But -- and I know this drives some knowledgeable gun owners crazy -- people like me jump to conclusions and think -- well the AR-15 is the problem let's ban it.

But is it the AR-15...would it slow down a mass shooter if it was banned...are there more dangerous guns but they are more expensive, not as easily available, have more restrictions.

We need responsible gun owners to speak up and have a dialogue with those calling on bans -- not to chant the 2nd Amendment and -- You can't take my gun away. To have a real discussion about what it means to ban an AR-15. Will there just be other choices?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 AM

36,835 posts, read 18,837,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
A Ruger Mini 14 is a hunting rifle that is functionally identical to a AR-15.

A Ruger Mini 30 is a hunting rifle that is more deadly than a AR-15.

Mass shooters are buying AR-15s because of their popularity and lack of knowledge of weaponry. In most states, long rifles are also easier to purchase than handguns - especially if you are under 21.

Also, don't discount the media and film industry's impact on selling AR-15s.
This is precisely why Australia eliminated all self-loading firearms from private hands, and it worked.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,384,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We've got lots of threads arguing the pros and cons of bans so let's not go there please. My question is this:

If a new Assault Weapons ban (say Feinstein's proposed ban, put out after the Vegas shooting) were to pass in the House and Senate and ended up on Trump's desk, would he sign it?

My gut says Trump would, even though he promised to stand up for the 2nd Amendment.

Why? Because he's Trump. The guy built his billion dollar empire by telling people what they wanted to hear and then doing what's profitable to him regardless. He has an extensive track record of screwing over people time and time again in business but some how we've forgotten that.

I think Trump would deal, and use signing a ban as a negotiating chip to get something he wants from Democrats. What do you think?

No. Trump would not support any weapons ban.
Ban bad people, not good guns.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM

5,267 posts, read 5,191,675 times
Trump would never sign such legislation because he doesn't care about the loss of kids lives. The NRA has bought the GOP totally so until Dems take over the Congress nothing like this would pass anyway.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 AM

45,034 posts, read 26,189,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's part of the problem you know......we don't have clear understanding (most of us -- even many gun owners) of the differences of guns.

AR-15's seems to be the gun of choice for these mass shooters but is that because of price point or what it can do or just because it is the most popular and that's what folks get? I don't know.

But -- and I know this drives some knowledgeable gun owners crazy -- people like me jump to conclusions and think -- well the AR-15 is the problem let's ban it.

But is it the AR-15...would it slow down a mass shooter if it was banned...are there more dangerous guns but they are more expensive, not as easily available, have more restrictions.

We need responsible gun owners to speak up and have a dialogue with those calling on bans -- not to chant the 2nd Amendment and -- You can't take my gun away. To have a real discussion about what it means to ban an AR-15. Will there just be other choices?
No discussion required, the guv has no right to ban any firearms. It starts and ends right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies