Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there no defination of an assault rifle, A ruger 22 pinker has the same characterize as an ar15
Yes there is.
An assault rifle is a compact rifle/carbine that has selective rates of fire, fires an intermediate cartridge.

It must have selective rates of fire.

They are illegal to manufacture post May 19, 1986. They are on a registry. And require a 200 dollar tax to be transferred from owner to purchaser payable to the ATF and has quite an extensive background check to approve the transfer of said assault rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 PM

To be absolutely honest. I know for a fact Trump won't sign an "assault weapon/rifle" ban.

He would repeal gun free zones and put an armed deterrence in schools before he'd pass an assault rifle ban...

Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I agree, an AW ban will not solve the problem... but when have legislators been good at solving problems?

Not my question though... would Trump ultimately throw gun owners under the bus for political gain even though he claims to be their champion?
He might, but if he did he wouldn't be re-elected. The left will never vote for him no matter what laws he signs, the past year has proven that beyond any doubt. Hell they've proven to be so rabidly anti Trump they'd probably be AGAINST an assault weapon ban if he was going to sign it.

If he signed such a law many people who voted for him wouldn't do so again. It wouldn't make them vote for someone like Hillary, but it would cost him votes.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,090 times
I think Trump will sign something, no idea how favorable it will be to either side, but I think he can feel the hot air breathing down his neck and knows the time has come. I don't like him, but I voted for him for two reasons: 1) I consider him the lesser of two evils over HRC, and 2) as cheesy as it sounds, he IS a deal maker.

I don't think he ever intended on keeping many of his promises, rather he was intending to come close with compromises and deals. Which is fine with me. Even if he plays it up like whatever comes to pass was his idea and/or goal all along, as long as we start moving forward, I'll take that. I gave up long ago on presidents that keep their promises, have ethics, morals, values, etc. Now I consider it a positive if both sides just accept that they will HAVE to make some concessions for the good of our country. In that regard, I think he is willing and capable.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:16 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
"Would Trump sign a new Assault Weapons Ban? "

What's an assault weapon?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There are also plenty of class C and D firearms in Australia. They just do a better job of controlling their nuts.
A really important factor. I would like to see both sides of the aisle to work with Trump on that issue, regardless of what becomes of gun reform.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,797,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Would Trump sign a new Assault Weapons Ban? "

What's an assault weapon?
What about a ban on a new gun that is laser and blinds people? Dozens of people per second.

Would that qualify?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:26 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We've got lots of threads arguing the pros and cons of bans so let's not go there please. My question is this:

If a new Assault Weapons ban (say Feinstein's proposed ban, put out after the Vegas shooting) were to pass in the House and Senate and ended up on Trump's desk, would he sign it?

My gut says Trump would, even though he promised to stand up for the 2nd Amendment.

Why? Because he's Trump. The guy built his billion dollar empire by telling people what they wanted to hear and then doing what's profitable to him regardless. He has an extensive track record of screwing over people time and time again in business but some how we've forgotten that.

I think Trump would deal, and use signing a ban as a negotiating chip to get something he wants from Democrats. What do you think?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.".

I read every word twice and none of them say assault weapon, AR 15, AK 47. If the government wants to, they can ban all of above and the 2nd will still stand.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.".

I read every word twice and none of them say assault weapon, AR 15, AK 47. If the government wants to, they can ban all of above and the 2nd will still stand.
They all fall under arms.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:37 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,571 times
We had an "assault" rifle ban. It didn't work. There were more shootings then than we have now. Gun homicide has been on the decline since we lifted the ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies