Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:36 AM

194 posts, read 156,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Roger than, Check, out...
Those FAA recordings are public record, including the three copters that formed in between the Delano and Mandalay only minutes before the shooting started.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
Where do you think social media aggregates those reports from?
Prior to social media, it was not aggregated nationally and put in your newspaper. We didn't see half the stuff we see today. News was too slow.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Let's take a look at the 5 worst mass shootings:

Las Vegas- shooter not under the influence of any mood altering substance He had been prescribed a low dose of Valium a few month before the shooting. His planning of the mass shooting preceded this script by more than a year.

Orlando- shooter not under the influence of any mood altering substance. His wife claimed he used steroids but no trace in toxology report.

Va Tech- shooter not under the influence of any mood altering substances. He had a history of instability going back to his early years in South Korea. He had on e been prescribed Prozac.

Sandy Hook- shooter was not under the influence of any mood altering substances. He declined all medications according to his mother's documentation and collaborated by his father.

Sutherland, Tx- I have not found anything that confirms or denies if he was under the influence or had a history of being medicated. I will continue to look.

With the exception of the Las Vegas shooter, all had a long history of emotional instability and psychopatic tendencies.
So, they werent on the meds when the events happened. What if they were, with the exception of Vegas. Hmm.. And, there is proof that people that dont properly ween themselves off of SSRI drugs can have violent moods
But you know what, you seem to be just egging crap on.
Are we there yet, are we there yet.. Bye BYe, ignore list

Old 02-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I understand. But to be clear, the majority of people I’ve spoken with who take SSRIs do not find them stimulating. They are not a stimulant medication. This is an important distinction. SSRIs are not in the same class as Ritalin or adderall which can be abused.

I cringe at the misinformation presented in this thread. I’ve lost two family members to suicide as well as a handful of friends and acquaintances. All a result of untreated depression. In one case, the person was afraid to take medication because of irresponsible information she read online. She chose to believe the exaggerated doomsday warnings regarding antidepressants rather than her doctor's advice. That was a tragedy.

I was fortunate to live near the National Institutes of Health and to have world class psychiatrists to consult with and also as my neighbors and friends.

I might add that I’ve found the best treatment for depression and anxiety to be a multi-pronged approach. In addition to the daily antidepressant, I never drink alcohol, limit myself to half a cup of caffeine daily, watch my diet, I meditate every day, I pray and journal. And before my brain injury four years ago, I exercised daily. That is impossible now.
Regarding the bolded: I never said they were stimulants. When I tried some of them, in fact, I felt lethargic. It was a psychiatrist who told me that, when taking them for anxiety, you might need to add a benzo to it while adjusting because they can have a "stimulating effect." I'm not too far from NIH myself so hopefully this psychiatrist is legit.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:41 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

The solution to this problem would be if someday the government or someone comes up with a software that can be hooked up like the Matrix movie that basically allows you to learn any skill by rewiring the appropriate neurons in the brain. This could also be used to modify personality. It would be the greatest invention in the history of mankind to be able to do this.
Good god no. That sounds like the setting for a dystopian novel.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:43 AM

194 posts, read 156,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Prior to social media, it was not aggregated nationally and put in your newspaper. We didn't see half the stuff we see today. News was too slow.
Newsworthy stuff always made the wires like, er,...AP.

And they're hangings. Pretty gothic.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
This thread is a good example of why nothing will ever be done about gun violence. If we assume the precept that SSRI's and guns aren't a good mix, then it narrows the choice of action.

Ban SSRI's.
Ban guns.
Ban people using SSRI's from having guns.

Since SSRI's help a lot of people, we can't do that. Since we have the 2nd amendment, we can't ban guns. Since we choose to let even people on the TSA no-fly watchlist, and more recently Trump rolling back rules that allowed people with severe mental conditions to be included in background databases, it seems unlikely that there will be a ban of people using SSRI's from having guns, so there we have it America. Nothing more to do than let the bodies stack up.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Newsworthy stuff always made the wires like, er,...AP.

And they're hangings. Pretty gothic.
I can guarantee you that John Doe, 15, of Podunk, Texas, suicide by hanging did not make my Maryland newspaper in 1985.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
There are kids on SSRIs who are hanging themselves who aren't even in their tweens yet. When did you hear of that before the 1990s.
There are kids hanging themselves or other forms of suicide, who are not on SSRIs.

I went to school with 3 who committed suicide- different schools. That was in the 70's, long before the Internet/ social media. If you did not know the surviving families , you would not have known. Even then, families tended to not go public when a family member killed themselves.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Some of us read newspapers before the 90s.
The passing of a child was rarely noted in local news unless foul play or neglect was involved. Not too different today, unless a parent wants to make a public statement, especially about bullying.

Obits rarely show (ed) cause of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies