Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times

Advertisements

Guns were the same.......I grew up on a farm in Oregon in the 50's and 60's and guns were everywhere, pickups had gun racks all over. I used to ride around on my motorcycles with a Ruger Buntline on my belt. A small grocery store near where I lived I would take it in there and nobody even noticed. Today that would be a swat alert with helicopters on the news. We trusted our fellow citizens back then who were trained by families to use guns safely and correctly.

The leftists mantra of removing all guns is ridiculous, and that ship sailed long ago.....the media just has to blame somebody and they blame the GOP every time a shooting happens. I'm sick of the Schumer/Pelosi gun grab sound bytes. GUN FREE ZONES are invariably the places where people get shot and its obvious why, the shooter may be crazy but he's not dumb enough to go where he thinks HE will get shot. Same reason gun ranges and police stations aren't attacked. It's time for the public to wise up........even churches are starting to set up concealed carry members to guard the troops. Schools need to do the same, authorizing a few willing members to carry concealed (AND POST the same around the school) and my bet is school shootings drop to near zero.

Everybody sits around and whines and does nothing. Candles and vigils bring nobody back........wise up and look for a solution instead of somebody to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Guns were the same.......I grew up on a farm in Oregon in the 50's and 60's and guns were everywhere, pickups had gun racks all over. I used to ride around on my motorcycles with a Ruger Buntline on my belt. A small grocery store near where I lived I would take it in there and nobody even noticed. Today that would be a swat alert with helicopters on the news. We trusted our fellow citizens back then who were trained by families to use guns safely and correctly.

The leftists mantra of removing all guns is ridiculous, and that ship sailed long ago.....the media just has to blame somebody and they blame the GOP every time a shooting happens. I'm sick of the Schumer/Pelosi gun grab sound bytes. GUN FREE ZONES are invariably the places where people get shot and its obvious why, the shooter may be crazy but he's not dumb enough to go where he thinks HE will get shot. Same reason gun ranges and police stations aren't attacked. It's time for the public to wise up........even churches are starting to set up concealed carry members to guard the troops. Schools need to do the same, authorizing a few willing members to carry concealed (AND POST the same around the school) and my bet is school shootings drop to near zero.

Everybody sits around and whines and does nothing. Candles and vigils bring nobody back........wise up and look for a solution instead of somebody to blame.
Really, they has AR-15's in the 50's! Wow, who knew.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post

The world and the people in it are not the same, not by a long shot.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
These types of shootings aside; I wonder what happened in the 1960's that caused violent crime to increase dramatically, only decreasing starting in the 90's, but still well above pre-WW2 levels. It is not access to firearms, that has always existed, is it drugs? Did the 1960's hippie movements cause a large breakdown in social/cultural norms? What caused this and is it related to incidents such as school shootings?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Really, they has AR-15's in the 50's! Wow, who knew.
The AR-15 is not the only semi-auto rifle you know, also, shootings still can occur with other firearms and would still be classified as such.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Hmm...
No school shootings?

1966, kind of a big one.

"It was shortly before noon on a sweltering Monday morning, Aug. 1, 1966, when architectural engineering student and Marine-trained sniper Charles Whitman climbed to the observation deck of the 27-story clock tower in the heart of UT's flagship Austin campus, armed with rifles, pistols and a sawed-off shotgun.

He killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others before authorities gunned him down."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ooting-n620556

More here - the 1950s and 1960s are well-represented.

History of School Shootings in the United States | K12 Academics

It would seem that it's in our country's DNA.

Solutions?

Not likely to happen any time soon.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Back in the 50 and 60s you could walk across town and do a lot of things without parents hovering around... As we became further and further liberal in society... You are no longer safe in your own home... Pedophiles are all over the place and your kids could be in danger any moment in time... How do I get the society where I don't have to worry about my kids all the time... Do I ban liberals like liberals want to ban guns?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
In the 50's light high capacity assault weapons weren't available to the public. Nowadays they are almost as easy to buy as a Big Mac at McDonalds. And back then most firearms users were focused on hunting. Today there's a well oiled NRA funded media campaign that promotes the purchase of infantry grade multi shot weapons as a political statement. Years ago if a homeowner wanted protection he might have a revolver or shotgun. I know people who have enough firepower at home to supply a combat unit operating in the Middle East.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hmm...
No school shootings?

1966, kind of a big one.

"It was shortly before noon on a sweltering Monday morning, Aug. 1, 1966, when architectural engineering student and Marine-trained sniper Charles Whitman climbed to the observation deck of the 27-story clock tower in the heart of UT's flagship Austin campus, armed with rifles, pistols and a sawed-off shotgun.

He killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others before authorities gunned him down."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ooting-n620556

More here - the 1950s and 1960s are well-represented.

History of School Shootings in the United States | K12 Academics

It would seem that it's in our country's DNA.

Solutions?

Not likely to happen any time soon.
Individual disputes between students and/or teachers were settled with a gun back then. These days students want to shoot up schools with an AR 15.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
These types of shootings aside; I wonder what happened in the 1960's that caused violent crime to increase dramatically, only decreasing starting in the 90's, but still well above pre-WW2 levels. It is not access to firearms, that has always existed, is it drugs? Did the 1960's hippie movements cause a large breakdown in social/cultural norms? What caused this and is it related to incidents such as school shootings?
Bad parenting or lack of it. Both parents found they had to work to keep up with the Jones. Kids weren't spending enough time with their parents to learn the rights and wrongs of life.

Don't blame the hippies. They wanted peace and love, not war and mayhem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies