Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:02 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Guns by design pose a threat to safety.
That is genuine hoplophobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 04:03 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Why not?

If somebody wants to join the military because they just HAVE to have a gun (for heaven only knows what reason) as soon as possible, let them join at 18 and become part of that whole "well regulated militia." I'd like to think the military will instill some basic level of responsibility and common sense in them. Otherwise, let them wait until they are 21, since they'd have less formal training in nearly all cases.

Otherwise, why do we need 18-year olds with guns? So they can bring them to high school? So they can impress their equally immature friends? So they can go hunting... on their own, at 18? Where are the parents in all this? Heck, most parents would not trust their kids to be alone with the family car at 18 unless they've proven to be particularly mature - but let's give them guns - really?

Heck, you can't rent a car in this nation on your own until your 25 because - surprise! - the companies don't trust the maturity of people under that age. So why the heck should we trust 18 year olds with firearms? Did everyone else forget exactly just how immature and impulse-driven people at that age are? Ugh...
I was trying to buy a gun starting when I was 17 because of the thing was being allowed to rape and beat me while his cop buddies and other government buddies was allowing it to happen. Started when I was 16. I kept trying even after I turned 18. But no, I wasn't allowed to because I wasn't 18. The rifles at the local stores were out of my price range. So, I did not have the right to defend myself against my rapist. Even after I finally escaped the thing's home I still was not allowed to defend myself against him because I was not 21. The cops did nothing when he'd force his way into my home and rape and beat me again. I should have been allowed the means to protect myself and kill my rapist dead if I so had the opportunity. I could not have ever defended myself against him without a gun. Only his death would have prevented all the things he ended up doing to me.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:03 PM

45,387 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
It is illegal in all 50 states to not have car insurance. The same should be true for firearms.
If your car is stolen, or used without your authorization, and involved in an accident does your insurance pay?

Old 03-04-2018, 04:05 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Are you making the argument that guns are somehow harmless and pose no threat at all to safety?

Old 03-04-2018, 04:09 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No!

The 2nd Amendment has no age limit. If it does, no one has been able to point it out to me.
They want to infringe on the right of 18, 19, and 20 year olds to have the means to protect themselves.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No!

The 2nd Amendment has no age limit. If it does, no one has been able to point it out to me.
Using this reasoning, it's okay for a 2 year old to own an AR-15 then?

The 21 year old minimum age though seems like one of the less effective ways of keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous people because someone can either get a gun from one of their associates who is 21, or even more easily, from their own house (parents, etc.) since there are so many guns in US households that can get in the wrong hands (either from a criminal breaking in stealing the guns which happens frequently or from someone within the same household who shouldn't be handling the gun, which also happens frequently).

I feel like Trump is getting behind this because his support skews towards people of his generation who tend to automatically pass the buck onto the younger generation without realizing that they are the ones whose behavior and its influence on the younger generations is what contributed to many of these problems. If we see other real reforms (which don't include simply adding more guns everywhere) being advocated, then the age limit will be a more serious proposal. If not, then it will be even more apparent it was an empty political move.

Last edited by Jowel; 03-04-2018 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 04:14 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Are you making the argument that guns are somehow harmless and pose no threat at all to safety?
No. Im disagreeing with your view, that all firearms are a threat to public safety.
You seem to be crawfishing and simply stating that they can be used in an unsafe manner. On that note, can you name me one single item that cannot?

Old 03-04-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
No. Im disagreeing with your view, that all firearms are a threat to public safety.
You seem to be crawfishing and simply stating that they can be used in an unsafe manner. On that note, can you name me one single item that cannot?
Why are guns used in warfare and not knives or pencils? They are designed to kill... You are dancing around that fact.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:17 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Also, irrational, emotional, and untrue. Guns do nothing on their own. It is the person that operates them that is at fault if they do something illegal, or stupid with them.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Guns do nothing on their own.
Thats right guns are designed for peaceful purposes hahaha you guys are literally insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies