Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
None of the recent (or any as far as I remember) events involved an assault rifle. They require finger printing, local CLEO approval, $200 to BATFE, a three+ month wait for backlog and right now around $25,000 for the happy switch.

Assault rifle = Select fire.

Actually I think the thing responsible isn't guns (and while people may focus on guns over kids, it equally applies that others prioritize lack of guns over workable solutions). But as JoeThePhotog states anger issues (and entitlement and disenfranchisement).

Klebold and Harris may have been nuttier than squirrel poop, that didn't make them shoot up Columbine. Adam Lanza may have been autistic, that didn't make him shoot up Sandy Hook. James Holmes was only a passing acquaintance with reality, that didn't make him shoot up Aurora. We already know this because all of them are only a microscopic sample of people with non-normal mental and neurological functions. The stats show that chances are your neighborhood loon isn't the person you need to worry about shooting up your concert, movie theater, school or anywhere else. The one you need to worry about is your 100% mundane neighbor (or even yourself).

The anger and entitlement and disenfranchisement aren't more caused by conservatives than liberals. Indeed it's possible the no losers policies are to a degree responsible because when the world slaps the teen in the face with the reality there are losers and the vast majority are losers, that creates anger and disenfranchisement, specifically anger at institutions promoting there are no losers. Then folks wonder why there are mass homicides at schools. I'll even concede it may not be they're gun free zones, but they are an institution promoting no losers, as is hollywood (we can all live in luxury in Malibu beach houses right? As a detective sergeant). I might be wrong, it's a half baked hypothesis considered over a cup of coffee with half my brain focused on my music playing, but it's something to consider. If you lie to people don't be surprised when they get angry and righteously indignant when the truth comes out.
I'll consider it. Good post by the way.

I don't think the problem is the no loser's policy. I have lived in both worlds were children are told they are losers and where children are told they are not. It is my preference to grow up in the no losers environment. You are more than likely to live in safer communities and attend better schools and have more affluent parents. Trying to teach students not to give up in the face of failure is part of the culture where education is valued. Teachers and older students are more likely to help you. I think it does promote a teachable characteristic. Do some of these kids grow up over confident in their abilities? Yup. But they have the connections and friendships to lift them when they need it. I have seen many average people maintain a cushy lifestyle knowing the right people.

Now I agree with the mundane neighbor. If he or she is having a difficult time coping, I don't think it is because he got a prize when he shouldn't have or told that he wasn't a loser, even when he felt like it.

What I think happens is that the parents are in denial that their child doesn't quite fit in, but they push for their child to make more intimate relationships. Many times, these parents don't know how to be good friends themselves. So the child comes to play dates or birthday parties without social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 04:39 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What about having to drive your kid to school an hour or two earlier because of the time it'd take to get through security? (Think of what a nightmare it usually is to get through airport security, and then consider that it'd be 1000 children of varying levels of cooperation and hyperactivity going through all at once...)
That's just simply the price of the product (the product being "loose gun and ammo laws in this country"). No good thing in life is free.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Early detection, like 39 visits to someones home by the police? Like the FBI following up tips? There is no reason this latest shooting should have ever happened.

Everyone knows liberals won't support anything that might stop school shootings that isn't a gun ban.
No. What I mean by "early detection" is detecting firearms at the entrances of the schools before reaching the children.

Little will prevent access to firearms. Time to keep those with guns away from our kids by detecting them at the door.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 AM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Since gun laws and mental health screening seem ineffective, and we're certainly not going to get rid of hundreds of millions of firearms anytime soon, it would seem that our only hope may be to try to detect firearms before they breach the schools.

Metal detectors, sniffer dogs, backpacks on conveyor belts, etc.

I suppose that would somehow step on somebody's rights, though, so why bother?
Or, put school personnel in a position to be able to stop an attack quickly. Think how many lives would have been saved in Florida, or Sandy Hook, or just about any other school shooting had someone taken out the shooter right away. Honestly, folks who oppose arming teachers and school administrators have blood on their hands.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:49 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Honestly, folks who oppose arming teachers and school administrators have blood on their hands.
Imagine a scenario where police officers storm a school building only to find 20 people there armed with guns! Which one is the bad guy? None of them are in a uniform. They're all in civilian clothes.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:51 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I'll consider it. Good post by the way.

I don't think the problem is the no loser's policy. I have lived in both worlds were children are told they are losers and where children are told they are not. It is my preference to grow up in the no losers environment. You are more than likely to live in safer communities and attend better schools and have more affluent parents. Trying to teach students not to give up in the face of failure is part of the culture where education is valued. Teachers and older students are more likely to help you. I think it does promote a teachable characteristic. Do some of these kids grow up over confident in their abilities? Yup. But they have the connections and friendships to lift them when they need it. I have seen many average people maintain a cushy lifestyle knowing the right people.

Now I agree with the mundane neighbor. If he or she is having a difficult time coping, I don't think it is because he got a prize when he shouldn't have or told that he wasn't a loser, even when he felt like it.

What I think happens is that the parents are in denial that their child doesn't quite fit in, but they push for their child to make more intimate relationships. Many times, these parents don't know how to be good friends themselves. So the child comes to play dates or birthday parties without social skills.
No winners is just as bad as no losers. It's about setting expectations so that people don't become angry they've been misled and disenfranchised. It's not one thing either, it's everything, chances are you can't be what you want to be, but if you don't try, you certainly won't be. Continuing in the face of adversity isn't a no losers principle, it's just a general principle.

I do agree about parenting too, I've seen so many parents living vicariously through their kids (regardless of kids wants and needs) it's tragic. That's certainly more American than European (I'm European origin BTW) maybe that's an aspect too. People hit late teens early 20s and realize they're not going to be what they want to be, and worse they realize they didn't even want to be that really anyway, it was Dad or Mom who wanted them to be that. That's a pretty tough enlightenment to experience.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Also I must say that this shooting started outside the school during a fire drill. The shooter THEN went in and continued as the school shifted into a lockdown from the fire drill. I work at a school, the shooter was able to get on grounds and start the rampage before being in the school.
It wasn't actually a "fire drill;" the killer pulled the fire alarm.

From the article:

Quote:
He came when he knew the gates would be open and set off a fire alarm that would dismantle a safety system, officials say.

Once the shooting began, the school went into a procedure known as Code Red, where doors are automatically locked and students and staff are required to stay in their classrooms. But Cruz pulled the fire alarm, which overrides a Code Red, said Lisa Maxwell, executive director of the Broward Principals and Assistants Association.
A man with a plan.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Since gun laws and mental health screening seem ineffective, and we're certainly not going to get rid of hundreds of millions of firearms anytime soon, it would seem that our only hope may be to try to detect firearms before they breach the schools.

Metal detectors, sniffer dogs, backpacks on conveyor belts, etc.

I suppose that would somehow step on somebody's rights, though, so why bother?
You can turn schools into prisons, and the killers would simply attack the kids when that are on their way home, or on the way to schools. The sad truth is that killing people is not technically difficult.

We need to figure out why Americans are so keen on killing.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Once the shooting began, the school went into a procedure known as Code Red, where doors are automatically locked and students and staff are required to stay in their classrooms. But Cruz pulled the fire alarm, which overrides a Code Red, said Lisa Maxwell, executive director of the Broward Principals and Assistants Association.
My daughter attends Broward County Schools and I can assure you that if the fire alarm is activated during a code red, the procedure is to stay put. She has practiced it at her elementary school. If this is what happened, procedure was not followed.

As far as getting caught in the hallways, the principal left it up to the teachers to decide if they should open the doors to the students. Our principal prefer they do. The police department prefer the teachers do not open the door.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
My daughter attends Broward County Schools and I can assure you that if the fire alarm is activated during a code red, the procedure is to stay put. She has practiced it at her elementary school. If this is what happened, procedure was not followed.

As far as getting caught in the hallways, the principal left it up to the teachers to decide if they should open the doors to the students. Our principal prefer they do. The police department prefer the teachers do not open the door.
When I worked in elementary ed in NC, the doors remained locked.

A kid could stand at the door screaming and crying to be let in and the doors would remain locked.

This was during a lockdown drill, of course. If there were an actual "active shooter on campus" situation, complete with gunshots heard, etc, I doubt any teacher with a heart would not open a door to a screaming, crying child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies