Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Slowly ever so slowly, GOP may stop taking the NRA money that comes with the blood of American children on it.

NRA power is the vote. As donors, they are not a big force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Any shooting is tragic but going after the tools of the destruction and not the person that is responsible is nothing but a knee jerk reaction.

Do we talk about banning or restricting matches when a arson burns down a building or sets fire to a California countryside?

I just can't get my head around banning something that millions of people enjoy because one guy turned it into a device to murder with.
How many times has a AR15 style rifle been used to prevent a crime or a tragedy? We will never know but the gun itself is not evil, it is a tool.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
if the democrats had wanted to ban some weapon, they would have when they had control of wh and congress. they didn't.

lots of posturing by democrat politicians, but the majority of their constituents are pro-2nd amendment. even democrats.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Slowly ever so slowly, GOP may stop taking the NRA money that comes with the blood of American children on it.
Dems vote with repubs when it comes to gun rights.

Making ineffective gun laws does nothing to prevent gun violence.

the issue is far too complex for career legislators to even approach a 'solution'.

The intent of ineffective gun laws is to build up an accumulation of restrictions to the point where guns are eliminated from society to meet a theoretical goal which states no guns, no gun violence. Dems are willing to sacrifice lives today to achieve that unobtainable goal sometime far into the distant future.

An assault rifle is many things to many people. A bayonet lug makes a gun an assault weapon. A flash guard makes it an assault weapon. Banning assault weapons is just a hysteria refrain from the uninformed. Uniformed like CO sen Diane DeGette. And CA democrat senator Yee who sold rocket launchers, fully auto weapons to anyone with cash. Yee was known for his anti gun stance.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:31 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Any shooting is tragic but going after the tools of the destruction and not the person that is responsible is nothing but a knee jerk reaction.
Why can't we go after both? Going after one but not the other is only dealing with half the problem.

Quote:
I just can't get my head around banning something that millions of people enjoy because one guy turned it into a device to murder with.
If it was just one person it wouldn't be a problem. However, there have already been numerous school shooting in the first six weeks of this year alone. It's a much larger problem than you're suggesting here.

Quote:
How many times has a AR15 style rifle been used to prevent a crime or a tragedy? We will never know
But we do know how often it is used to perpetrate a mass shooting. Too, too, too many times.

Quote:
but the gun itself is not evil, it is a tool.
You could say the same thing about a hand grenade, but we don't let people own them. Think about why that might be, and you have the answer to your question.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM

17,402 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Every time someone yells about wanting an "assault weapons ban" or a "ban on semi automatic weapons" I know they are lazy and have zero knowledge about the issue at hand .... and I tune them out.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:42 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And he's not the only Republican either.

By failing to address even the smallest gun safety issues - the tide of public opinion is turning. They couldn't even address the bump stock issue for god's sake.
Actually, the plan has been to do northing all along, to block any attempts at common sense gun legislation. But Americans are getting tired of school aged kids being blown away, and with each mass shooting, the outrage rises another notch higher.

Bad news for Republicans: These shootings are not going to stop, they will continue, right along with the rage felt by patriotic, sensible Americans who are sick of these people allowing this slaughter to continue.

That means Republicans will have to do something, and they are scared sh*tless at the thought.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:06 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
As a Floridian, I am so proud of the courage of Al Hoffman to take this stand. He is right, enough is enough. How many innocent young children need to die before we all wake up and say stop this madness. I knew Al when he was with WCI, and he was always a very ethical, nice man, more interested in doing the right things than making a fast buck.

I am also very proud of the young people who are protesting and rallying after the school shooting. I saw a young man today, on my way to work, standing alone with a sign that said " Honk if you want to ban assault weapons". Horns were blaring from almost every car I was near, mine included.

It was the young people in the 60's who put enough pressure on the government to get out of Vietnam, and it will be the young people of today who get restrictions passed with regard to assault weapons. These kids are getting to voting age, and they will be a powerful force, and will make many politicians fear for their careers, if they do not do the right thing.

Thank God for people who have the courage to stand up for what they believe.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The tide of public opinion may finally be turning. Americans are getting tired of burying their children. Even one of the big GOP doners sees the writing on the wall.
You liberals having an amazing capacity for self delusion. ONE donor changes his mind and you think the tide is turning? One drop does not make a tide, except to those who eat Tide pods.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:19 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Then why are so many people pushing for a solution (additional gun control) that won't work?
Because to those people GUNS are the problem, period, end of story. The want them banned, outlawed, removed from existence. Saving lives or stopping crime doesn't matter to them. They clearly don't care about the hundreds of thousands of people who use guns to stop crime every single year. No, they just want to get rid of guns, period. To them that is the real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies