Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
At the very least, NOT repealing background checks to make sure people who are severely mentally ill or a threat to public safety (dangerous to themselves or others), and improving the background check process if its current system has flaws is a good start.

If legislators can't even figure that out, then they have no business being in office in the first place, taking taxpayers' dollars. They need to do their constituents and their country a favor and immediately resign.

I've seen video presentations on Youtube of the NRA evangelizing their views. One of their spokespeople who was speaking had an eerie presence and literally seemed as if some evil spirit had taken him over. Just the way he spoke about guns seemed very cold blooded and he had very dead eyes, like someone you would expect to be interviewed on Death Row. It was very chilling.
Ha Ha Ha https://www.google.com/search?q=nra+...m0w7g9UoYAJVM:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,888,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Actually, the plan has been to do northing all along, to block any attempts at common sense gun legislation. But Americans are getting tired of school aged kids being blown away, and with each mass shooting, the outrage rises another notch higher.

Bad news for Republicans: These shootings are not going to stop, they will continue, right along with the rage felt by patriotic, sensible Americans who are sick of these people allowing this slaughter to continue.

That means Republicans will have to do something, and they are scared sh*tless at the thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As a Floridian, I am so proud of the courage of Al Hoffman to take this stand. He is right, enough is enough. How many innocent young children need to die before we all wake up and say stop this madness. I knew Al when he was with WCI, and he was always a very ethical, nice man, more interested in doing the right things than making a fast buck.

I am also very proud of the young people who are protesting and rallying after the school shooting. I saw a young man today, on my way to work, standing alone with a sign that said " Honk if you want to ban assault weapons". Horns were blaring from almost every car I was near, mine included.

It was the young people in the 60's who put enough pressure on the government to get out of Vietnam, and it will be the young people of today who get restrictions passed with regard to assault weapons. These kids are getting to voting age, and they will be a powerful force, and will make many politicians fear for their careers, if they do not do the right thing.

Thank God for people who have the courage to stand up for what they believe.
and what "sensible" gun laws do you think would have prevented any of these shootings? name one, just one.

but lets say you guys are right , and that the AR15 is the big bad evil gun that makes people go shoot up schools, and that if we had eliminated them back in 1993 these school shootings might never have happened, or would they?

once again i would point out that if i were going to shoot up a school, i would not use an AR15, its too long for the confined areas of a school hallway. i would instead use something like a colt 1911, or a glock 43. both of these are compact, easily reloaded quickly, would have a maximum magazine capacity of under ten rounds, and i would carry multiple guns and magazines, all the same to simplify everything.

and if i didnt want to reload, i would carry several guns instead.

so given that scenario, what new "sensible" gun laws would you propose? this thing about sensible guns laws is in fact a slippery slope. ban so called assault weapons, and the bad guys pick ones they can get. ban those weapons, and the bad guys change again.

and of course this assumes that your "sensible" gun laws pass constitutional muster.

and what happens after all guns are banned, even though the gun grabbers keep saying they dont want to ban all guns(massive lie)? lets say all guns have been banned, and are no longer available to the bad guys, does this mean that the schools are now safe? sorry my friends but they are far from safe. remember the oaklahoma city bombing? large truck loaded with home made explosives killed 168 people, including a large number of children, and did several million in property damage. had they added either a two part chemical or biological weapon to that, or even nuclear waste, how many more people do you think would have died?

while you gun grabbers are trying to make the world completely safe, it will never happen. you cannot make the world safe from evil people, unless you destroy those evil people.

the best we can do is give the good guys the necessary tools to fight the bad guys, including intelligence to figure out what the bad guys are planning. remember these shootings did not happen in a vacuum, and they did not happen spontaneously. they were planned well in advance. that means these people had to be talking to someone about it, and they ALL gave off clues that something was up. why didnt people say anything to the LEOs? why didnt the LEOs, who in this case DID get a tip, follow up? especially since the LEOs knew about this guy, and had contact with him in the past. why were they not on him like white on rice? why were they not digging deep into his background and getting as much information on him as possible?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 624,147 times
Good

Old 02-18-2018, 05:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,888,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
At the very least, NOT repealing background checks to make sure people who are severely mentally ill or a threat to public safety (dangerous to themselves or others), and improving the background check process if its current system has flaws is a good start.
those background check you refer to were not for situations like the most recent shooting. they were about preventing old people that have trouble handling their finances from getting firearms. really? what good would that do? when was the last time an old person shot up a school? the only mass shooting i can think of that was perpetrated by an old person was the vegas shooting. any before that? i cant think of any. it seems that its most likely young people, usually ones that have been diagnosed with some sort of mental issue, like ADD and ADHD, and drugged into a stupor when they were very young, but continued to have mental problems as they aged, until they decided t shoot up a school.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
How would this ban look for all of you demanding one? What would you do that would actually prevent school and other "mass" shootings? Because if you are going to ban any weapons I want to make sure that it is going to work in the neighborhoods of Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, etc., that have high "mass" shooting numbers where 4 or more people are shot or killed that do not include the shooter. Be specific.
Not everything is about you.

One step at a time.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:21 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,816,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Not everything is about you.

One step at a time.
What kind of answer is that? I am asking you (general you) and I want to know. And what is your first step?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:24 PM

17,826 posts, read 13,741,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
News flash, news flash, news flash !!!!!!! We do NOT want to take away all of your guns, or all of MY guns (I am a gun owner). That is the myth that you guys spread to incite fear into gun owners. All we want are sensible gun laws, and certain types of weapons prohibited from being owned by people who have no business having them .

How many crimes have you stopped with your gun ? More importantly, how many crimes have you stopped with your automatic AR-15 type assault weapon ? Guys just think they have to have these machine guns because this is 'Merica, and it makes them feel like a real man ! That is the reality of the situation, not the one you portray.
[/color]
You better watch out. If your fellow gun owners get enough power, they are liable to take away your guns for thinking this way.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:27 PM

6,142 posts, read 4,624,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
those background check you refer to were not for situations like the most recent shooting. they were about preventing old people that have trouble handling their finances from getting firearms. really? what good would that do? when was the last time an old person shot up a school? the only mass shooting i can think of that was perpetrated by an old person was the vegas shooting. any before that? i cant think of any. it seems that its most likely young people, usually ones that have been diagnosed with some sort of mental issue, like ADD and ADHD, and drugged into a stupor when they were very young, but continued to have mental problems as they aged, until they decided t shoot up a school.
That's called a credit check, not a background check. I never mentioned anything about a credit check or basing a background check on having more restrictions on older people. It should be based on evidence that assesses risk of having a mental health problem that increases one's propensity for violence. Are you sure you're responding to the correct post?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
It's not just old people. Define 'old'.

It's people that claim that they are SO mentally disabled that they are unable to work. And, of course, a doctor has to certify that is the case. So, yes, they are grown adults.

IF one is SO MENTALLY DISABLED that they are unable to hold down a job and must rely upon the government dole to survive - then that is pretty damn mentally disabled and THAT person should not have a gun.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,892,436 times
And then I won't support or vote for this GOP donor's candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies