Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
In other words, ignore the Constitution because it would be less of a hassle than actually expecting parents to raise their children.
Nowhere in the Constitution does it say people have the right to own weapons of mass destruction. When the Constitution was written they couldn't conceive of the kind of destruction that is possible with just one semiautomatic weapon.

Quote:
You completely ignore or deride any suggestion that has been put forth by people who actually are trying to come up with solutions that work, while continuing to pretend that the problem is firearms rather than society.
And you continue to pretend that a proliferation of weapons of mass destruction in the hands of anyone who wants one isn't the problem. Sorry, I don't buy the guns don't kill people claptrap, because it sure as hell is the gun that is providing the means of easily mowing down scores of people in a matter of seconds.

Quote:
And yet, as gun ownership has increased violent crime rates have declined.
Gun ownership is actually down if you count the number of people who own guns. People who already own guns are buying more and more of them, which makes it seem like ownership has gone up, but it's really people hoarding weapons. In 1994 the average gun-owning household owned 4.2 guns. By 2013 that number had climbed to an estimated 8.1 firearms in the typical gun-owning household.

Just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation's firearms. These are the people who are holding the entire country hostage. And I'm tired of such a small minority deciding that we all must accept being targets because they won't give up their toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:00 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Nowhere in the Constitution does it say people have the right to own weapons of mass destruction. When the Constitution was written they couldn't conceive of the kind of destruction that is possible with just one semiautomatic weapon.

And you continue to pretend that a proliferation of weapons of mass destruction in the hands of anyone who wants one isn't the problem. Sorry, I don't buy the guns don't kill people claptrap, because it sure as hell is the gun that is providing the means of easily mowing down scores of people in a matter of seconds.

Gun ownership is actually down if you count the number of people who own guns. People who already own guns are buying more and more of them, which makes it seem like ownership has gone up, but it's really people hoarding weapons. In 1994 the average gun-owning household owned 4.2 guns. By 2013 that number had climbed to an estimated 8.1 firearms in the typical gun-owning household.

Just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation's firearms. These are the people who are holding the entire country hostage. And I'm tired of such a small minority deciding that we all must accept being targets because they won't give up their toys.
See, you know you can't get rid of guns, it won't happen. But instead of doing something else, you would rather complain about guns. There are options that can be done. Just think, when the next school shooting happens, if you had been reasonable about alternatives, you might have saved some kids lives.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How about we hold parents personally responsible when their children commit crimes?
Kinda hard to do when society has done everything it could to prevent parents from raising and disciplining their own kids.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
That is the most ridiculous sign ever.

1) I don’t want to live in a police state
2) Cops are armed and still killed every day
Yet you advocate for a police state to curb firearm ownership...

Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And how would you go about getting the hundred million or so semi autos already owned by the public? Remember, some are owned by criminals.

You might find most of the guns In 50 years.

“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?â€
Robert F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy in His Own Words: The Unpublished Recollections of the Kennedy Years

Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just think if the Slaves of the South had guns. Would they have had less suffrage, carnage and death?
Short term v. long term?
Funny how you used the word equal, and not wanting to be equal to me.
Slaves had suffrage back then? Who knew?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
See, you know you can't get rid of guns, it won't happen. But instead of doing something else, you would rather complain about guns. There are options that can be done. Just think, when the next school shooting happens, if you had been reasonable about alternatives, you might have saved some kids lives.
I don't see how outlawing weapons of mass destruction from being owned by the general public is unreasonable. I don't want everyone to have nuclear devices, either. Is that unreasonable, too?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Kinda hard to do when society has done everything it could to prevent parents from raising and disciplining their own kids.

When spanking your child became child abuse a lot of kids realized that they could get away with most anything and so we have what we do today. Taking away electronics is considered abuse to some parents talk is cheap if my parents just TALKED to me when I did something wrong odds are I would of ended up in prison or dead.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I don't see how outlawing weapons of mass destruction from being owned by the general public is unreasonable. I don't want everyone to have nuclear devices, either. Is that unreasonable, too?
Do you even KNOW what a weapon of mass destruction is? I don't think you do...but if you did, then you'd lose your whine about there being no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq...

Old 02-18-2018, 12:07 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
You know it is not going to happen, so think about alternatives instead of complaining about things you cannot change. You might save some lives. Constantly complaining about things that will not happen, sure won't save any lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies