Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:34 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And how would you collect the millions of those that are owned by Americans, you know that criminals won't turn theirs in? Why not focus on something that might work, like security at schools?
Australia worked it out. Look it up, as opposed to digging in and saying can't. Their citizens and legislators listened to each other and reached an understanding on sensible gun control. With all due respect, perhaps you could look at the last line of your above post, and take your own advice. Security did not prevent the massacre of 17 lives last week, now did it? Focus on something else...great idea.

At the risk of being redundant, I wish to again applaud the young survivors of last week's massacre as they turn their justified anger into activism. Hooray for them...America, perhaps we can learn something in our embarrassment from failing to protect our youngest citizens!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-18-2018 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:34 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm in agreement with that, these parents know something is wrong. I would never release any child of mine like that into society. It just wouldn't happen.
This kid’s parents were dead.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:35 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I live in an average small town where wages are $8-$10 an hour, a 3 br apt. is $600 a month. Both parents must work and they have to use the schools for daycare because daycare for one child is $200 a week or more. And with both parents working, they get no assistance like food stamps. They can't stay home to school.
I think considering a school to be daycare is a big part of the problem. So its daycare for parents and also exists to employ adults? A schools only priority should be to educate children. Better planning. Don't have children if you only make 10 dollars an hour.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Are you talking about this gun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Yeah, because that's comparable to today's semiautomatic weapon. Sure it is.

I'll just turn your question back to you:
Yes. In what way it doesn't compare? It fires 20 shots in one sitting, and one trigger pull, one shot. It's a semi-automatic rifle.

And these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_cannon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_mortar

Revolutionary War Weapons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Leopard_(1790)

If you say the founding fathers didn't expect the technology advancement, then all the TVs, iPhones, Internet, movies, etc. must be banned.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Because in the end you can buy a gun out of the back of a trunk if you know the right people. This will never stop. Learning gun safety is something 99.% of gun owner do anyhow.
You can also drive a car without a license., people do it, it will never stop. So should we stop requiring people to pass a test?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:41 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You can also drive a car without a license., people do it, it will never stop. So should we stop requiring people to pass a test?
You shouldn't have to pass a test, and get a license to exercise a Natural Right.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:41 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Australia worked it out. Look it up, as opposed to digging in and saying can't. Their citizens and legislators listened to each other and reached an understanding on sensible gun control. With all due respect, perhaps you could look at the last line of your above post, and take your own advice. Security did not prevent the massacre of 17 lives last week, now did it? Focus on something else...great idea.

At he risk of being redundant, I wish to again applaud the young survivors of last week's massacre as they turn their justified anger into activism. Hooray for them...America, perhaps we can learn something in our embarrassment from failing to protect our youngest citizens!
They had arson to replace shooting...
Implement changed.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post

Security did not prevent the massacre of 17 lives last week, now did it? !
We need stronger security, more like airports had right after 9-11. On the perimeter of school grounds, as the first checkpoint, then at the doors to enter.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't see how outlawing weapons of mass destruction from being owned by the general public is unreasonable. I don't want everyone to have nuclear devices, either. Is that unreasonable, too?
How old are you Jams? I recall what happened in the ‘90s when they had the assault weapons ban. It didn’t work, and a bunch of people joined militias and gun ownership increased. Just the mere mention of gun control causes hundreds of thousands to buy more weapons in fear of new laws. It sounds nice on paper, but the reality is more weapons in circulation, ready for a black market should any laws actually take effect.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No. Here's why, and remember I'm coming from a perspective of 30+ years as a teacher, NRA Life Member, Hunting and Firearms Safety Instructor.

Teachers who would be authorized to carry would have to be carefully vetted, there are just too many crazies on school staffs. When this came up a few years ago, before I retired, I ran my colleagues through my head and the response from me ranged from "No", to "Hell no" to "not in a kajillion years".

Added to that, if the carrying staff was to be known to only a select group of people you'd always, always have someone in that group who would broadcast it to the students. Sometimes on purpose, "Don't **** off Mr._____, he's one of our armed teachers and he'll shoot your ass", to just plain diarrhea of the mouth.

When that hits the hallways there will always, always be those one or two kids in every school who will make it their life's goal to get that gun.
The district's liability:

Teacher flips and shoots the most unruly kid in the school who acted out/ mouthed off, one time too many

A student manages to acquire the teacher's firearm

Teacher feels threatened and stands his ground

Teacher fires at a shooter and hits an unintended target
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies