Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I just call 911 if I need the police.
Maybe in the 1700s, it made sense. To have a gun to protect your family. Today is not necessary. Our police departments are funded with tax dollars to buy the most modern equipment and guns available in the market to protect us.

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away. Even longer, if you're in a rural area. And the Supreme Court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you specifically. Many people have died while waiting for a 911 response. And that's also assuming you even have time and/or the opportunity to call.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One of the rare good posts in this forum.

I am all in favor of people being able to have guns for hunting, skeet shooting, and basic home safety. I am not for military/police style weapons.

A majority of Americans do NOT own guns. Guns are not a necessity.
I tend to agree. Let's just use a little common sense.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
And apparently you don't know about mass slaughter of our fellow citizens.

The highest death toll from a school massacre in the US occurred without any firearms being used. All these mental cases will just shift to other tactics to commit their mayhem.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
No, it's all about protecting the citizens from an evil government but does that go on to say each citizen has the right to possess a nuclear bomb? Where does it end?
How does a nuclear bomb protect the citizens from the tyrannical government?

Nuclear bomb is a strategical weapon against other countries.

Please try something else.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am far from being liberal.

I am all for you owning and possessing any firearm you want and this includes a fully automatic 50 caliber machine gun to protect your house if that is what you feel you need.

But I am also for you having the burden of proof showing that you are not mentally ill or have you ever been convicted of a felony before possessing these firearms.
In case you don't know, that's already the law of the land since the GCA of 1968.

Personally, I believe mentally ill and felons must be locked up.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,363 times
Quote:
Clearly you didn't actually read the full article on Snopes.
Actually I did.

A lone suicide in an empty school parking lot (that hadnt been open for months) at night is not what would be commonly defined as a "school shooting".

A stray bullet that hits an unoccupied school building after hours is not what would be commonly defined as a "school shooting".

Everytown for gun safety isnt concerned about facts if it can gin up more angst.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I tend to agree. Let's just use a little common sense.
Common sense is not being used when arbitrary things like appearance is factored in as "common sense".

Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Let me start out by saying, I do not favor abolishing the Second Amendment. I'll also say I am a gun owner. I own both a pistol and a rifle.

That being said, I think these ideas about requiring everyone to carry a firearm is truly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Try these objections:

1. Constitutionally you can't make people carry a gun. Its a denial of liberty without due process of law under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments.

2. More guns being carried means more likelihood of accidents.

3. Your idea would be worthless in terms of preventing the type of school shooting that occurred in Parkland. Someone pulls a fire alarm and all the kids go running and someone opens fire. No one is going to have a chance to get to the shooter before most of the harm is done.

4. It does nothing to address the fact that some people have mental issues or a criminal history and just shouldn't be carrying a gun period.

There are many reasons why America has become the victim of these mass shootings. However, we can say these shootings are rare to nonexistent in countries with some forms of gun control.

I don't know whether it will happen this time or take ten more mass shootings. However, most of the rest of us are sick and tired of these massacres and politicians who are paid off by the NRA. I'm willing to start small for now. Buttress laws requiring background checks before a gun is sold. Insist on waiting periods between the purchase and delivery of a firearm. Doing nothing though is not acceptable.

You make some great points, but.......
Regarding the bold, that is a blanket statement that is not necessarily true. I lived in South Africa for 4 years. Guns were banned. I knew a wild big game park owner that couldnt even get a tranquilizer specific "launcher" because it had been classified as a "gun" (this was a necessary part of his business, having a tranquilizer device) Meanwhile, gun violence was rampant.

Last edited by snebarekim; 02-18-2018 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
The power you think you have does not come from the possession of a gun. To think that you and your popgun could stand up to the military might of the government is ludicrous. No. Your power comes from your vote.

Tell that to all the Bernie supporters whose votes were nullified by Hillary Clinton, Debbie Wassermann-Shultz and the DNC, who stole the nomination from Bernie Sanders. Had that not occurred, Bernie would have been the nominee and would have won the election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Your power comes from the ability to make your case in the way our country is governed. Should you prevail and make your case for the status quo. Well, that's to bad for me. But you have exercised your true power and I will have to move on. But if I make my case and the majority agrees with me, well, that's what power is in this country. It does not come from the point of a gun no matter what the NRA tells you.

That quote isn't from the NRA, but rather from Mao Zedung, the former dictator of China. Like other dictators (Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, etc), Mao was a firm believer in gun control.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
It was created in the 1700s, then cities and towns didn't have Police Departments or Law Enforcement.
Is the right to own weapons necessary any longer?
Yes. If you want to know what the founding fathers had in mind, they literally wrote volumes about it. Basically, the country can never be overthrown by an invading force, or an internal force, if each citizen is armed. Nothing is forcing you to own a gun if you don't want to. They came from a land where everyone was subject to the will of the King, and not allowed to own weapons because of their station. Even hunting was forbidden, as all animals in the Kingdom belonged to his majesty alone.

We have a constitutional right to LIFE, LIBERTY and the pursuit of happiness. If I have to convince my would be murderer to wait 20 or more minutes for the local police to arrive so they can help preserve my right to LIFE, my right to life is compromised greatly. If have the means to defend myself, I can make my own choices in that regard.

There are many places in this country where the cops cant possibly get to you in time to defend you from a criminal. Sometimes it is because the location is too rural. Sometimes it is because the location does not have the resources to afford an officer on every corner or placed every 500 feet. Sometimes it is because the location is too congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies