Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This is nothing new the first regulation of firearms came about 84 years ago.

Did you know in the United States that you can actually own a fully automatic working 50 caliber machine gun if you get the tax stamp for it?

The National Firearms Act (NFA) enacted in 1934, imposes a tax on the transfer and manufacturing of certain firearms, and mandates registration of those firearms. Later amended in 1968, Title II of the Gun Control Act (GCA) removed the requirement for possessors of unregistered firearms to register if it was already possessed by the person. In order to legally acquire NFA firearms you must get approval by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) of a registered weapon.

I am thinking we need to expand the NFA to include semi-automatic weapons which would include semi-automatic handguns.

Revolvers and bolt action rifles would be exempt.

I was in Vietnam and for a year I carried an automatic M16 and to tell you the truth I have a problem when somebody feels that they need this weapon for hunting. They're either one poor shot or something's wrong with them mentally I don't see why you need a semi-automatic weapon for hunting.

I am not saying you shouldn't be able to own one but what I am saying to own one you need to prove that you are personally capable of properly handling this deadly weapon.

Just like it is for a fully automatic machine gun make the ownership of a semi-automatic weapon a Federal felony if you do not have a tax stamp to go along with it.

I love the Second Amendment but we need to do something to stop the idiots and the mentally ill from getting their hands on these weapons that can kill dozens of people and a couple short minutes.

What the tax stamp if I have a registered semi-automatic weapon for me to sell it you also the buyer needs to show proof that they own attack stamp so they can take possession.

Just curious why revolvers would be exempt ? They fire a round with each pull of the trigger, just like a semi auto. Can you explain your reasoning ?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
The only difference in ar15 and a handgun, are better bullets and longer distance.. not enough reason for a ban... There is nothing "military" about it....

Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 AM

13,953 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
But I am also for you having the burden of proof showing that you are not mentally ill or have you ever been convicted of a felony before possessing these firearms.
So in addition to wanting the 2nd Amendment changed, you want the legal system (and the Amendments covering it) changed to "guilty and deprived of liberty and property until proven innocent", correct?

Everyone is assumed mentally ill until they prove they are not? We need to earn our natural individual rights with proof of non-defective or something?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Not much different?

One has an option of firing automatic fire and the other does not.

As far as standing up to government forces, perhaps not, but let's not give the government any more of an advantage than it already has.
firing an M-16 on auto by the 5th round you are going to be off target............

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The Constitution is a living document it can (and has been) changed many times by congress. It is probably safe to say the founding fathers didn't write a firearm protection clause to protect teenagers rights to gun down schoolchildren with an assault weapon.
Right now Trump is contemplating what to do, decisions that will go against his buddies at the NRA, and thinking of all the votes from members he will be loosing. Votes and money concerns come first to politicians.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The only difference in ar15 and a handgun, are better bullets and longer distance.. not enough reason for a ban... There is nothing "military" about it....
The sure are good at killing people though.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 AM

736 posts, read 353,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Couple more massacres like last week (and there will be), changes will be made. By popular demand.

Fight it all you wish, post away. With more massacres, change will happen.
Supposed the USA does ban all firearms, then the shooters will adapt to non conventional attacks. Those attacks can be in form of IED, fires, trucks, or other methods, which will be impossible to stop.

Here is an article on a fire arson terrorist. This person killed 87 people.

https://ctc.usma.edu/fire-as-a-weapo...orist-attacks/

You can't win against these people. As the old expression says, where there is a will there is a way.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The sure are good at killing people though.
Hence why tyranny is so afraid of it...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
not much considered military about a shotgun either............but special forces use them.........

Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
It's as "necessary" as all of them.

And, BTW, the BOR does not even purport to grant rights. No piece of paper, no man, granted me rights. My name isn't Elsa, but I was born free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies