Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:51 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am not black and don't plan on going to see the Black Panther movie, and one of the biggest reasons is Hollywood and the media's obsession of pushing their racially based agenda and the way it's marketed, and how the media just has to stress the "blackness" of it. In doing so they make it less mainstream. When Jackie Chan first started appearing in American movies the media didn't stress Asianness and Scottish Americans were never THIS obsessed about Braveheart the way black critics and the "leaders" of the black community. The thing is not all black people I know even share these opinions or are into Black Panther. Here are some of the things I truly take issue with with the Black Panther hype and most of my friends including some LEGAL African immigrant friends agree with me on

1. The name of the movie. Yes I know its based on the comic book character but it was actually a black friend who reminded me that the Black Panthers were a radical racist group, more similar to the Nation of Islam than to MLK's group. Today the Black Panthers are a militant black separatist organization, and they were the ones who engaged in pro-Obama voter intimidation in Philadelphia. Imagine if a movie with a white hero was named "The Klansman". The KKK is the white counterpart to Black Panthers.

2. They obsess about how Wakanda is an advanced country in this movie. It must seem lost on all the PC crowd/left wingers that it takes a pure fantasy film/fictional comic books to depict an African nation that is NOT a s____hole. Such an African country doesn't exist in real life and is not likely to exist anytime soon. The only relatively better African country is South Africa which was run by whites for decades. As bad as the apartheid regime was it developed South Africa to a higher level than any other African nation.

3. They say its an African American film but has nothing to do with African Americans, only a fictional African country. So many liberals and race baiters today are very fixated on Africa and African identity for black Americans. What's the point of SOME among the black liberal elite looking to Africa? Black culture is a homegrown American culture and is not an African culture. It is less African than Italian American culture is Italian. And black Americans don't even come from a single African country. Some seem to also really focus on how Africa is portrayed in the media and what Trump says bout Africa even though they are not African. Maybe they care just because Africa is black and its part of racial politics?? Many real Africans don't even identity with African American culture at all. I know African immigrants who wonder why so many black Americans, especially in places like academia and the intelligensia feel the need to be "separatist" and not just be a regular American like everyone else. In fact I know some Africans who are bothered by the idea of HCBUs, exclusive black scholarships, BET, etc, people who actually believe everyone here should just be American.

4. Why does it matter if the main character in this movie is black? Why does it matter what color the director is? More liberal race baiting and racial politics......okay so this movie shows T'Challa who was introduced in the last movie and his background is African, okay jsut show that, don't need to make a big deal out of it. No need to promote this movie just because its a "black movie".

And I think this pan-African thing makes no sense, like when a black American gives their kid a Nigerian first name and a Kenyan middle name and dresses in pan-African clothes. That would be like a white American showing European pride by giving their kid a German first name, an Irish middle name and wearing an Italian suit with a Scottish kilt.
None of this matters to you. And what you think doesn't matter to anybody.

It's a movie -- go if you want, don't go if you don't want...stop getting all pouty about.

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Not really, at $10+/ticket average that's only 20M tickets sold, probably. The "black community" alone could drive that attendance. I'd like to see the racial breakdown on this opener.

And better question, how did they get all that advanced technology but managed to skip the wheel and a written language? That's impressive.
It’s. a. fictional. movie.

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am not black and don't plan on going to see the Black Panther movie, and one of the biggest reasons is Hollywood and the media's obsession of pushing their racially based agenda and the way it's marketed, and how the media just has to stress the "blackness" of it. In doing so they make it less mainstream. When Jackie Chan first started appearing in American movies the media didn't stress Asianness and Scottish Americans were never THIS obsessed about Braveheart the way black critics and the "leaders" of the black community. The thing is not all black people I know even share these opinions or are into Black Panther. Here are some of the things I truly take issue with with the Black Panther hype and most of my friends including some LEGAL African immigrant friends agree with me on

1. The name of the movie. Yes I know its based on the comic book character but it was actually a black friend who reminded me that the Black Panthers were a radical racist group, more similar to the Nation of Islam than to MLK's group. Today the Black Panthers are a militant black separatist organization, and they were the ones who engaged in pro-Obama voter intimidation in Philadelphia. Imagine if a movie with a white hero was named "The Klansman". The KKK is the white counterpart to Black Panthers.

2. They obsess about how Wakanda is an advanced country in this movie. It must seem lost on all the PC crowd/left wingers that it takes a pure fantasy film/fictional comic books to depict an African nation that is NOT a s____hole. Such an African country doesn't exist in real life and is not likely to exist anytime soon. The only relatively better African country is South Africa which was run by whites for decades. As bad as the apartheid regime was it developed South Africa to a higher level than any other African nation.

3. They say its an African American film but has nothing to do with African Americans, only a fictional African country. So many liberals and race baiters today are very fixated on Africa and African identity for black Americans. What's the point of SOME among the black liberal elite looking to Africa? Black culture is a homegrown American culture and is not an African culture. It is less African than Italian American culture is Italian. And black Americans don't even come from a single African country. Some seem to also really focus on how Africa is portrayed in the media and what Trump says bout Africa even though they are not African. Maybe they care just because Africa is black and its part of racial politics?? Many real Africans don't even identity with African American culture at all. I know African immigrants who wonder why so many black Americans, especially in places like academia and the intelligensia feel the need to be "separatist" and not just be a regular American like everyone else. In fact I know some Africans who are bothered by the idea of HCBUs, exclusive black scholarships, BET, etc, people who actually believe everyone here should just be American.

4. Why does it matter if the main character in this movie is black? Why does it matter what color the director is? More liberal race baiting and racial politics......okay so this movie shows T'Challa who was introduced in the last movie and his background is African, okay jsut show that, don't need to make a big deal out of it. No need to promote this movie just because its a "black movie".

And I think this pan-African thing makes no sense, like when a black American gives their kid a Nigerian first name and a Kenyan middle name and dresses in pan-African clothes. That would be like a white American showing European pride by giving their kid a German first name, an Irish middle name and wearing an Italian suit with a Scottish kilt.

Old curmudgeon alert on aisle one.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
First, the novelty of this movie is in that it is a black superhero, unlike Blade, who is kid friendly, and provides a nice role model to kids, particularly black kids. Second, it was a good movie, I went twice, and both times it was sold out.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, the novelty of this movie is in that it is a black superhero, unlike Blade, who is kid friendly, and provides a nice role model to kids, particularly black kids. Second, it was a good movie, I went twice, and both times it was sold out.
My sons that are a super hero/comic nerds said it is one of the all time best super hero movies.

It's going to bother people so bad when it kills all the records at the box office.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Old curmudgeon alert on aisle one.
At least he didn’t tell the kids to stay off his lawn.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
By the way America apparently liked this movie enough to make it a blockbuster earning over $218 million dollars at the box office this weekend.
Uh-oh. The sacrosanct market economy failing to support the prejudices of scared old white men, that's not going to go over well.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Uh-oh. The sacrosanct market economy failing to support the prejudices of scared old white men, that's not going to go over well.
Not really, blacks spend billions on that hip-hop garbage/noise.....it doesn't "fail to support" anything, just reaffirms the lack of culture and taste that is always front and center with "the element".

Old 02-18-2018, 06:28 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Yawn. Looks like another run-of-the-mill, overbaked CGI, superhero spin-off with endless action sequences, no character depth, and recycled plot. The entire genre is not worth 2 hours of time to sit through. Doesn't matter what color it is.
If there's a legitimate reason not to want to see Black Panther, this is it.

Just about summed up the two Avengers movie, the last Thor, and several other comic book/superhero movies.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Super hero movie fans say this one is one of the best.

You don't like super hero movies don't go see it.

That's all.

And it is living up to its hype -- box office receipts -- that's all that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies