Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 02:10 PM

10,130 posts, read 15,819,625 times

Advertisements

I am not black and don't plan on going to see the Black Panther movie, and one of the biggest reasons is Hollywood and the media's obsession of pushing their racially based agenda and the way it's marketed, and how the media just has to stress the "blackness" of it. In doing so they make it less mainstream. When Jackie Chan first started appearing in American movies the media didn't stress Asianness and Scottish Americans were never THIS obsessed about Braveheart the way black critics and the "leaders" of the black community. The thing is not all black people I know even share these opinions or are into Black Panther. Here are some of the things I truly take issue with with the Black Panther hype and most of my friends including some LEGAL African immigrant friends agree with me on

1. The name of the movie. Yes I know its based on the comic book character but it was actually a black friend who reminded me that the Black Panthers were a radical racist group, more similar to the Nation of Islam than to MLK's group. Today the Black Panthers are a militant black separatist organization, and they were the ones who engaged in pro-Obama voter intimidation in Philadelphia. Imagine if a movie with a white hero was named "The Klansman". The KKK is the white counterpart to Black Panthers.

2. They obsess about how Wakanda is an advanced country in this movie. Such an African country doesn't exist in real life and is not likely to exist anytime soon. The only relatively better African country is South Africa which was run by whites for decades. As bad as the apartheid regime was it developed South Africa to a higher level than any other African nation.

3. They say its an African American film but has nothing to do with African Americans, only a fictional African country. So many liberals and race baiters today are very fixated on Africa and African identity for black Americans. What's the point of SOME among the black liberal elite looking to Africa? Black culture is a homegrown American culture and is not an African culture. It is less African than Italian American culture is Italian. And black Americans don't even come from a single African country. Some seem to also really focus on how Africa is portrayed in the media and what Trump says bout Africa even though they are not African. Maybe they care just because Africa is black and its part of racial politics?? Many real Africans don't even identity with African American culture at all. I know African immigrants who wonder why so many black Americans, especially in places like academia and the intelligensia feel the need to be "separatist" and not just be a regular American like everyone else. In fact I know some Africans who are bothered by the idea of HCBUs, exclusive black scholarships, BET, etc, people who actually believe everyone here should just be American.

4. Why does it matter if the main character in this movie is black? Why does it matter what color the director is? More liberal race baiting and racial politics......okay so this movie shows T'Challa who was introduced in the last movie and his background is African, okay jsut show that, don't need to make a big deal out of it. No need to promote this movie just because its a "black movie".

And I think this pan-African thing makes no sense, like when a black American gives their kid a Nigerian first name and a Kenyan middle name and dresses in pan-African clothes. That would be like a white American showing European pride by giving their kid a German first name, an Irish middle name and wearing an Italian suit with a Scottish kilt.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2018 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: language

Old 02-18-2018, 02:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,823,288 times
Quote:
Hollywood and the media's obsession of pushing their racially based agenda and the way it's marketed, and how the media just has to stress the "blackness" of it.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Even the title of the movie is off putting. And the plot is entirely racial from what I know of it. No thanks .

Old 02-18-2018, 02:25 PM

10,130 posts, read 15,819,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. Even the title of the movie is off putting. And the plot is entirely racial from what I know of it. No thanks .
Yes glad you agree. The Black Panthers were a racist left wing black separatist organization. The black version of the Klan.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:36 PM

7,166 posts, read 4,731,075 times
So, you’re critiquing something you haven’t seen or experienced. You’re relying on your AA acquaintances. You don’t even understand why Africans insist on being different from AA’s.

What you’re doing is called GOSSIPING. it has no value. It contributes nothing of merit.

The OP is what ignorance is made of.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:58 PM

1,323 posts, read 584,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am not black and don't plan on going to see the Black Panther movie, and one of the biggest reasons is Hollywood and the media's obsession of pushing their racially based agenda and the way it's marketed, and how the media just has to stress the "blackness" of it. In doing so they make it less mainstream. When Jackie Chan first started appearing in American movies the media didn't stress Asianness and Scottish Americans were never THIS obsessed about Braveheart the way black critics and the "leaders" of the black community. The thing is not all black people I know even share these opinions or are into Black Panther. Here are some of the things I truly take issue with with the Black Panther hype and most of my friends including some LEGAL African immigrant friends agree with me on

1. The name of the movie. Yes I know its based on the comic book character but it was actually a black friend who reminded me that the Black Panthers were a radical racist group, more similar to the Nation of Islam than to MLK's group. Today the Black Panthers are a militant black separatist organization, and they were the ones who engaged in pro-Obama voter intimidation in Philadelphia. Imagine if a movie with a white hero was named "The Klansman". The KKK is the white counterpart to Black Panthers.

2. They obsess about how Wakanda is an advanced country in this movie. Such an African country doesn't exist in real life and is not likely to exist anytime soon. The only relatively better African country is South Africa which was run by whites for decades. As bad as the apartheid regime was it developed South Africa to a higher level than any other African nation.

3. They say its an African American film but has nothing to do with African Americans, only a fictional African country. So many liberals and race baiters today are very fixated on Africa and African identity for black Americans. What's the point of SOME among the black liberal elite looking to Africa? Black culture is a homegrown American culture and is not an African culture. It is less African than Italian American culture is Italian. And black Americans don't even come from a single African country. Some seem to also really focus on how Africa is portrayed in the media and what Trump says bout Africa even though they are not African. Maybe they care just because Africa is black and its part of racial politics?? Many real Africans don't even identity with African American culture at all. I know African immigrants who wonder why so many black Americans, especially in places like academia and the intelligensia feel the need to be "separatist" and not just be a regular American like everyone else. In fact I know some Africans who are bothered by the idea of HCBUs, exclusive black scholarships, BET, etc, people who actually believe everyone here should just be American.

4. Why does it matter if the main character in this movie is black? Why does it matter what color the director is? More liberal race baiting and racial politics......okay so this movie shows T'Challa who was introduced in the last movie and his background is African, okay jsut show that, don't need to make a big deal out of it. No need to promote this movie just because its a "black movie".

And I think this pan-African thing makes no sense, like when a black American gives their kid a Nigerian first name and a Kenyan middle name and dresses in pan-African clothes. That would be like a white American showing European pride by giving their kid a German first name, an Irish middle name and wearing an Italian suit with a Scottish kilt.

Why are you so bothered that some fans are obsessed with the movie? Did you complain when Star Wars fans show up dressed like Darth Vader or Kylo Ren? Superhero movies, especially from Marvel lend themselves to obsession. Why don't you know this?

And let me clue you in on something, the reason why this is a big deal is that most of the time, black people in films are shown in a negative light (surprise and that's on liberal Hollywood). Or they're portrayed as a sidekick or just one black character. Even Blade was the sole black character in his series (with the exception of his dying mother in a flashback scene). So people are thrilled to see a mostly black cast, with an intricate storyline developed by a powerhouse studio and originating from one of entertainment's most beloved creators. If you have a problem with the storyline why don't you complain to Stan Lee?

1 - Um, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced the Black Panther comic two years before the Black Panthers were founded in Oakland. And for a few years, Marvel changed the character's name to Black Leopard to distance the character from the group. You should have known this before posting your incorrect diatribe. And I doubt you actually have a black friend who told you anything.

2 - Can you show me the post where you condemn Lucas' for his unrealistic creation of the Death Star? Was Jabba the Hut based on a historical figure? And where can I find Thor's hammer in a museum? You know, the one that can transport Asgardians from one dimension to another?

3 - You obviously didn't see the movie, so this paragraph is the equivalent of you rooting around in your rectum and flinging what you've found on the screen. A major pivotal character is African-American and one of the major points of contention in the plot revolves around the different worldviews between the African-American character and the African character.

4 - Why does it matter to you that the main character is Black? Again why are you bothered that the movie is smashing records left and right and that people are enjoying themselves, of all races? As for your complaint about Pan-Africanism and your silly example with European countries, I'll let my Scottish-Spanish grandmother know some random guy on the internet says she can't claim both linneages.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2018 at 04:11 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 PM

17,193 posts, read 12,055,790 times
The real Black Panthers were something that got conservatives to become pro gun control in response to their open carry demonstrations.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:15 PM

24,296 posts, read 17,027,498 times
I'm sure this movie will keep with the fun action genre of a marvel superhero movie but beyond that??
We are not talking about a movie that like "Twelve Years a Slave", or "The Colour Purple" or "Malcolm X", "Selma".
These movies had real life characters that over came tremendous odds to triumph and that is what should be celebrated.

I think movies about real life are far more compelling than a guy jumping around in a spandex suit.

When Thor hit the theatres we didn't have all this hype about blonde people from Norway.

Oh well. If this movie makes people happy and can take their minds away from the negativity of the world then I say it is a good movie experience.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:16 PM

15,584 posts, read 10,316,551 times
I don't plan to see black panther either, we don't watch any comic book movies, but I don't see why the original poster would get so worked up over a super hero movie.

this really is an irrational, snowflake thread.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:18 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,507,101 times
Hey look, more proof that cons think there should only be white people in movies.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,076,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
That would be like a white American showing European pride by giving their kid a German first name, an Irish middle name and wearing an Italian suit with a Scottish kilt.
Yeah, and?

And to your broader point, no one cares. Just being honest. The movies isn't made for you, I guess. Rather than act like everything must fit your preferences, why not just "not see it" in peace? Most movies take on some sort of broader theme; no one theme is necessarily going to be universally relatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies