Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
None of them support it, or offer resources for it. Or mention it in any way.

But they support single moms, abortions and working like nobody's business. They put their money and effort into what they support. Which is not being a housewife or a mother, unless there is no dad in the picture.

And pro-choice is support of abortion. Because it says, yes it's ok. Abortion is not BC, btw. But that is a topic for another thread. Not this one. And I've been told very specifically that if you are NOT pro-abortion -- which is pro-choice, although saying pro-choice makes people feel better about being pro-abortion -- you are not a feminist.
Actually they support choices. Abortion choices, healthcare choices, career choices, lifestyle choices, economic/financial choices.

Pro-choice is what is says - it is "pro" a "choice." It does not mean "make women get abortions/pressure women into getting abortions."

I know many feminists women who are anti-abortion in their personal lives (like myself) but who are pro-choice for other women.

Ironically most of the women I know (a large amount who I met when I was a SAHM via SAHM groups) who have had abortions were SAHMs. They had an abortion due to either a life threatening situation for themselves or due to a fatal defect of the fetus, like anencephaly and in all cases they were very tragic circumstances. Getting to know these women is actually what made me be pro-choice because they and their husbands and the rest of their families had to deal with very difficult medical decisions and this showed me that abortion is not some activist cause, it is a deeply personal situation that many famlies don't want to occur but which they chose to do to save a life or keep a life from suffering. FWIW the couple of women I know who nearly died did not want abortions. Their husband chose it for them when they became unconscious due to sepsis and their husbands didn't want them to die so they authorized a removal of the fetus to save their wives lives. Both of these women would rather have died but could not consent to die and it took them a while to forgive their husbands. They still suffer with the loss of their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why do you get to say all women didn't want to work and that they believed in their marriages and children? (which, BTW, women working outside the home do as well). Why does Ringo1 not get the same privilege as you here?

Why is it so hard to acknowledge that women wanted different things then, and want different things NOW? Where is your critical thinking?

The '50's have been romanticized as the golden era - if that was the case, feminism would never have been born of it and the dissatisfaction felt by so many. You may not like feminism but you can't deny that it came about because many women were not happy and wanted to change things. Now, go eat some salami and pickles.
I didn't. I said that the portrayal of ALL women desperately wanting to work was false. And Ringo said well my gammie DID so THERE and that means all women wanted to work. Go back and read for comprehension.

ALSO: Go learn your feminist history. Gloria was a CIA operative [fact] and Ms magazine was founded by taxpayer dollars [fact]. It was not an organic movement. It was created and managed by the govt.

The 50s have not been romanticized. Why, just read through this thread here and you'll see just how horribly miserable every single woman was. Not a one wanted to be married or have kids. They all longed to work 50-hr weeks. /eyeroll/

Please go learn your history. And by history I mean the truth. Truth is not political. It just is.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
I am not talking about "universities".

I am talking about elementary schools emphasizing careers to girls.

And me time has nothing to do with feminism, working, or having kids. Not sure what your point is there Do you believe that women in the 1950s had no friends? How would that be possible since every woman was home all day long. They never stepped over to the neighbors?
Not at all what I'm saying. I'm just talking in general.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
I didn't. I said that the portrayal of ALL women desperately wanting to work was false. And Ringo said well my gammie DID so THERE and that means all women wanted to work. Go back and read for comprehension.

ALSO: Go learn your feminist history. Gloria was a CIA operative [fact] and Ms magazine was founded by taxpayer dollars [fact]. It was not an organic movement. It was created and managed by the govt.

The 50s have not been romanticized. Why, just read through this thread here and you'll see just how horribly miserable every single woman was. Not a one wanted to be married or have kids. They all longed to work 50-hr weeks. /eyeroll/

Please go learn your history. And by history I mean the truth. Truth is not political. It just is.
So...links to where people may learn? It’s polite to include them if you are making assertions.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually they support choices. Abortion choices, healthcare choices, career choices, lifestyle choices, economic/financial choices.

Pro-choice is what is says - it is "pro" a "choice." It does not mean "make women get abortions/pressure women into getting abortions."

I know many feminists women who are anti-abortion in their personal lives (like myself) but who are pro-choice for other women.

Ironically most of the women I know (a large amount who I met when I was a SAHM via SAHM groups) who have had abortions were SAHMs. They had an abortion due to either a life threatening situation for themselves or due to a fatal defect of the fetus, like anencephaly and in all cases they were very tragic circumstances. Getting to know these women is actually what made me be pro-choice because they and their husbands and the rest of their families had to deal with very difficult medical decisions and this showed me that abortion is not some activist cause, it is a deeply personal situation that many famlies don't want to occur but which they chose to do to save a life or keep a life from suffering. FWIW the couple of women I know who nearly died did not want abortions. Their husband chose it for them when they became unconscious due to sepsis and their husbands didn't want them to die so they authorized a removal of the fetus to save their wives lives. Both of these women would rather have died but could not consent to die and it took them a while to forgive their husbands. They still suffer with the loss of their children.
Saying you are pro-choice is a way of avoiding responsibilty for your decision.

Like saying, hey I don't smack my kids around, but feel it is perfectly OK for other people to smack their kids around. In fact, I'll go marching just so other parents can hit their kids. Because I really believe that hitting kids is a valid and important action to take against small children.

You either support it or you don't. Pro choice = pro abortion.

A life-threatening medical decision is just that -- a medical decision. It has nothing to do with BC or *reproductive rights* and should ever be used in the same manner that the on-demand abortion crowd uses it flippantly. And those women suffer the loss of THEIR CHILDREN who were killed when the ABORTION was performed. Because an abortion kills a child.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Again:

Name ONE feminist organization that SUPPORTS marriage and family as an equal choice to single motherhood, abortions and working. Not looking for more or less. Equal. As an equal option with resources comparable to the resources that are used to support single motherhood, abortions and working. As in here are choices for today's women -- and included in the discussion is marriage and family. Not more. Not better. Just included.

Does not exist. I've looked for it.

Why do you entertain the idea that feminist organizations should focus on marriage and motherhood. There are other organizations that focus on that aspect of life. Women's organizations are diverse, many are specific. Feminist organizations focus on issues affecting women as men's organizations focus on issues affecting men. Everyone knows marriage and children are an option whether you choose to work or not.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
So...links to where people may learn? It’s polite to include them if you are making assertions.
There are plenty of youtube videos you can find, including Gloria speaking openly about her involvement with the CIA. I'm not your research assistant. Google is. It'll take all of 20 seconds for you to find them.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why do you entertain the idea that feminist organizations should focus on marriage and motherhood. There are other organizations that focus on that aspect of life. Women's organizations are diverse, many are specific. Feminist organizations focus on issues affecting women as men's organizations focus on issues affecting men. Everyone knows marriage and children are an option whether you choose to work or not.
I never said that they should FOCUS on them.

What I have said repeatedly if you've been reading my posts, is that since people here keep repeating that being a wife and a mother is perfectly acceptable and supported by feminists everywhere ... name ONE feminist organization that does so.

Just one. That supports single mothers, abortions, working women and married moms.

And not one organization does.

Are you saying that women don't know abortions are available? Or that they can get jobs? Or have a baby and be a single mom? So feminist organization have to focus on that because women are so dumb that they don't know about those 3 things?

If feminism truly supports marriage and moms, where is the SUPPORT?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
There are plenty of youtube videos you can find, including Gloria speaking openly about her involvement with the CIA. I'm not your research assistant. Google is. It'll take all of 20 seconds for you to find them.
MM hmm, no I meant all the things about land ownership etc being available to ALL women with no stipulations and stuff like that. But whatever, you have no supporting data to present, got it.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
MM hmm, no I meant all the things about land ownership etc being available to ALL women with no stipulations and stuff like that. But whatever, you have no supporting data to present, got it.
Read up on homesteading in the 1860s in the US. Women owned acres and acres of property. Again, not your research assistant. If you want to be ignorant, that's your choice, but whatever, you have no desire whatsoever to educate yourself about anything, got it. Stay ignorant. Because if someone doesn't post it on CD it's not true. I'd laugh at the absurdity of your post, but it's really sad that you would rather be ignorant. Truly sad.

And it's why I am not a feminist. Because of that IGNORANT attitude. You have no idea what you are talking about. You don't even know what you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies