Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is the plan - make it too risky to be a sahm even if the husband makes good money, so women won't do it anymore. The "choice" part gets a lot narrower. This is not in the best interests of children but that isn't the idea.
Who is behind this plan? Who benefits from it? What is the goal of this plan you're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How does the fact that women fought along side of men take anything away from men? BOTH men and women have fought with valor and have sacrificed and there is a debt owed to to ANY who have fought.
Because it didn't happen. The US military did not send women into combat at all during that time period. The military does an extensive physical exam at entrance processing and would obviously know if someone was not male.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Exactly.
There are lots of men who have the opportunity to be a SAHP but few of them want to. I know two men who went on about being a SAH when their higher earner wives were pregnant. One lasted a year the other not that long. Apparently it want what they thought it was.

I know there are men who do it and love just as there are women who do and love it. Others not so much. Whatever works for the family. At least today many families have a choice in their family/work dynamics.
Define a lot, 1%, 10%? A lot less than women maybe?

Old 02-21-2018, 01:22 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Was anyone here actually a traditional housewife in the 1950's and 1960's?

Shouldn't we be talking/hearing from people who actually lived the life instead of listening to 'rose colored' recollections on you tube? I want to hear from people who actually lived the life, not from their children who might not have known everything that their mother was feeling about her role in the family. Some women might have loved their role, others hated it and still other might have been torn between wanting to balance between working and staying home.

Adults will often look back on their childhood and mourn for those halcyon days of childhood while adults living in the same era remember it quite differently.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I disagree with that. It is paid work if one spouse works outside the home and pays for everything for both. Of course the work moms do is appreciated.
Exactly. It can be very good pay for just doing housework and cooking which any person has to do anyway.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Who is behind this plan? Who benefits from it? What is the goal of this plan you're talking about?
Democrats. Democrats and the wealthiest. The goal is to reduce the American birthrate, divide Americans and weaken the family structure, and replace Americans with foreigners.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because it didn't happen. The US military did not send women into combat at all during that time period. The military does an extensive physical exam at entrance processing and would obviously know if someone was not male.
Quote:
In July of 1863, a Union burial detail at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania made a startling discovery near Cemetery Ridge. Among the bodies covering the ground--the wreckage of the Confederate attacks during the battle--the Union men found a dead woman wearing the uniform of a Confederate private.

The burial detail had stumbled upon one of the most intriguing stories of the Civil War: the multitudes of women who fought in the front line.

Although the inherently clandestine nature of the activity makes an accurate count impossible, conservative estimates of female soldiers in the Civil War puts the number somewhere between 400 and 750. Long viewed by historians as anomalies, recent scholarship argues that the women who fought in the Civil War shared the same motivations as their male companions.
https://www.civilwar.org/learn/artic...iers-civil-war

Old 02-21-2018, 01:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
The real question should be why do some people believe others (adult Americans) shouldn't have the same rights, responsibilities and choices they enjoy?

Why should my goals and aspirations be limited to what you deign to offer me? And followed up with criticism as to why I don't appreciate what I'm "given".

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
That is the plan - make it too risky to be a sahm even if the husband makes good money, so women won't do it anymore. The "choice" part gets a lot narrower. This is not in the best interests of children but that isn't the idea.

Good grief, its not a plan. Its always been risky to be totally financially dependent on someone else. Families make that choice every day and I'm sure they take into consideration the best interest of their children. Its just that not everyone has the same ideas about what best interest is. There are pros and cons to both working and being a stay at home.

Statistically more single mothers (44.2%) are divorced or separated than have never been married. Statistically single mothers (30.4%) are twice as likely to live in poverty than the general public. Statically single mothers (37.2%) are 40 or older.

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
So how do you propose to make it so that a woman is not left destitute if her husband leaves? Some men already scream about how unfair it is to have to pay any alimony or child support.

If I were to have to go back into the workforce right now I may be able to do a bit better than minimum wage. Yes, I chose to be a SAHM, yes I love it, but realistically I would be up a creek if we were to split up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies