Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It's not a BAD choice, but it should not be the ONLY choice.
Right?!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Why don't dads stay home and deal with the kids? Why do you assume that it must be the woman?

What accounts for all the obesity and mental health problems in men?

I was a stay-at-home Mom for 10 years. When I returned to the workforce I had lost 10 years of building my career, 10 years of paying into Social Security, 10 years of building my 401(k), 10 years when technology and business moved quickly past where I left off. Now as a divorced woman I will never be able to make up what I lost. With so many women having to fend for themselves, losing that is not nothing.

And then we have the basic truth that in the '50s most women stayed home because their choices were very limited anyway. As a woman who watched my mom go through this, when her own aspirations were considered not important, and she has anger and regrets about a career she was denied, I have no desire to return to those days.
This. Our society doesn't support the womans option to stay at home and be a mom. What does she get when the job is done? Little if anything in the way of her being able to fend for herself if she has to. Little in the way of her catching up in some field where she can be productive and have a rewarding career after the kids are out of the nest.

We need to change this. Reward motherhood. It's freaking tough raising kids and running a home. If you want your/our kids to have a better future it's the way to go. Support the women who choose to be mothers.

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And who said feminists think that the traditional role was 'bad' -- they just wanted to add more choices and to make sure those choices were not just what 'men' thought they should be.

I can't understand the track of thinking that can only see this or that. By wanting to allow women to make choices that are socially acceptable we don't label that once choice of being a stay at home parent BAD.....we just want choices.

If you are a male and don't think women should have a choice -- guess what -- tough -- lol.....

Ask the ladies in your life

"Would you rather have the choice to be a stay at home parent or go to work or would you rather be expected to stay at home?"

What person wouldn't choose choice over the narrow minded thinking of just one expectation.

I can't imagine.

I ended up being a primarily stay home parent. Wasn't my goal, worked for us and happy i had the privilege of choice....but i had a choice -- I didn't HAVE to stay home.
Great post.

City data should start a competition where instead of "engaging poster" it should be like "top response" prize.

My own wife made the decision you made but as you so clearly nailed, it was a CHOICE.

Brilliant. Wish I could rep you more.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Do you at least understand now how there can be a wage gap between genders?
Kudos to you for recognizing, at least, that there is a wage gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
This. Our society doesn't support the womans option to stay at home and be a mom. What does she get when the job is done? Little if anything in the way of her being able to fend for herself if she has to. Little in the way of her catching up in some field where she can be productive and have a rewarding career after the kids are out of the nest.

We need to change this. Reward motherhood. It's freaking tough raising kids and running a home. If you want your/our kids to have a better future it's the way to go. Support the women who choose to be mothers.
Now, what can we do about it?

Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
You CHOOSE to be a SAHP. You CHOOSE to stay out of the workforce for 10 years, you CHOOSE to not pay into SS.

You could have aborted the baby but you CHOOSE to have it, your body your CHOICE.
You are right, I did make this choice. And the OP and many others would say I made the right choice for the sake of my children, and I would agree.

But the point is, it came at a cost that is not recognized or compensated in any way, and that can be detrimental later on to women who stayed at home to take care of their kids. We don't value stay at home parents, and that's a problem.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM

409 posts, read 292,876 times
Ah, another one of *these* threads.

Let's cut to the chase:

Women should stay home and have children, because that is what they are biologically and temperamentally suited to do. Working is OK as long as it's before marriage and in traditionally female fields such as secretarial work, librarianship, nursing, dental hygiene, or teaching. This way, the better-paying and more interesting careers can go to men, who are better suited to them emotionally, physically, and intellectually.

Any woman who aspires to equality with men actually just wants to take control over men, which is wrong because men are clearly the superior sex. Truly feminine women know their place, which is below men.

Women in the old days had the right idea: they should be content with cooking, cleaning, and having babies. To want more is selfish and emasculating.

Did I leave anything out? Feel free to continue the discussion by elaborating on all the ways that males are superior to females.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Ah, another one of *these* threads.

Let's cut to the chase:

Women should stay home and have children, because that is what they are biologically and temperamentally suited to do. Working is OK as long as it's before marriage and in traditionally female fields such as secretarial work, librarianship, nursing, dental hygiene, or teaching. This way, the better-paying and more interesting careers can go to men, who are better suited to them emotionally, physically, and intellectually.

Any woman who aspires to equality with men actually just wants to take control over men, which is wrong because men are clearly the superior sex. Truly feminine women know their place, which is below men.

Women in the old days had the right idea: they should be content with cooking, cleaning, and having babies. To want more is selfish and emasculating.

Did I leave anything out? Feel free to continue the discussion by elaborating on all the ways that males are superior to females.
Let's cut to the chase - somewhere out there a village is missing its idiot.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:44 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Day care for us is about $15,000 a year. My wife makes over $90,000 a year. That $75,000 is essential for us to live the lifestyle we do - - and in two-and-a-half years, that $15,000 will no longer be deducted, but we'll have another 30 years of her making the $90,000 (or more). It's a no brainer.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM

409 posts, read 292,876 times
It was satire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Let's cut to the chase - somewhere out there a village is missing its idiot.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I support feminists but I don't support women that fight for advantages instead of equality. There truly is no such thing as equality it is all about power.

As with anything in this world, there is an equal and opposite force in order to balance everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies