Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The cost of living might be higher but few families in the '50s had to have houses with 2-3 bathrooms, game rooms with big screen TVs, master suites with their own baths and walk-in closets full of clothing they don't need, chef kitchens with marble counter tops and two cars in the garage. Way too many people today want too much. So if you want to go back to having women in "traditional" housewife roles be prepared to take it all. Don't expect to have your big boy toys alone with your traditional life style. The cost of living might be higher but so is the list of 'must haves' of family life.
Or go out to the mall, get their nails and hair done, and buy a new $$$ outfit and shoes, all for the sake of doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 03:07 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Presumably someone said this already - and I'm surprised you need to be told - but the problem was that women felt stifled, trapped, reduced to being supporting cast as second-case citizens. And that they didn't have the freedom of many other options.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Work in the home was a heck of a lot more time consuming in the 1950s than today. Examples:

- scrub tub, soaker tub and ringer washing machines which had to filled and drained manually. Just imagine the time needed to put each piece of washing through the ringer, particularly diapers. No disposable diapers back then.

- each piece of laundry had to be hung manually on the clothes line and then later removed.

- almost every piece of laundry had to be ironed - no permanent press back then so almost everything was wrinkled.

- no microwave ovens and meals were mostly made from scratch

Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Yes! I am talented and hardworking. I am an asset to whomever I am working for. I LIKE to work. My mother liked working.

But don't insinuate that I would be happier if I had to squeeze into a girdle, make a roast every Tuesday, have a drink waiting fur hubby when he gets home, be satisfied with the money I am given for all family needs, and depend on my husband to provide everything. T
And if Phyllis Shaley couldn't keep in line there was alway Marabell Morgan. Some of the companies in Houston had her down to speak to the wives luncheon.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The cost of living might be higher but few families in the '50s had to have houses with 2-3 bathrooms, game rooms with big screen TVs, master suites with their own baths and walk-in closets full of clothing they don't need, chef kitchens with marble counter tops and two cars in the garage. Way too many people today want too much. So if you want to go back to having women in "traditional" housewife roles be prepared to take it all. Don't expect to have your big boy toys alone with your traditional life style. The cost of living might be higher but so is the list of 'must haves' of family life.
Even without all of those luxuries, it’s still tough to make it on one salary (unless we’re taking a good salary). Healthcare costs, retirement savings, college savings, the cost of caring for elderly parents, and basic housing costs (even when indexed for inflation) are significantly higher.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Work in the home was a heck of a lot more time consuming in the 1950s than today. Examples:

- scrub tub, soaker tub and ringer washing machines which had to filled and drained manually. Just imagine the time needed to put each piece of washing through the ringer, particularly diapers. No disposable diapers back then.

- each piece of laundry had to be hung manually on the clothes line and then later removed.

- almost every piece of laundry had to be ironed - no permanent press back then so almost everything was wrinkled.

- no microwave ovens and meals were mostly made from scratch
Years ago -- I think in the 70's I remember hearing someone talk about all the advances or conveniences we have made doing chores in the home but what has happened is it hasn't given us more free time because we end up filling in that time and in some ways we have more going on. Right now as I'm prepping dinner, typing on the computer, doing laundry and the roomba is going (and I am a stay at home person) I get what he is saying. In the olden days right now I'd be tending to dinner and only dinner.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:46 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Every generation has had stuff to deal with. At least we don't need to keep a musket close by in case an animal gets the chickens.

And, since there was no BC pill until 1960ish, you'd be tending to little kids or be pregnant.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
They stayed at home back in those days because they could. Nowadays most of them trudge off to work just like the men do because they don't have any other choice. Welcome to the modern day cotton fields ladies.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
They stayed at home back in those days because they could. Nowadays most of them trudge off to work just like the men do because they don't have any other choice. Welcome to the modern day cotton fields ladies.
My mother went off to school while raising five children. Got her LLB and LLM and eventually become the only bread winner when our father died rather young. And she did good...VP and well quoted US expert on the income tax. And that went on in the 50s mostly. By the 60s mom was a top dog...and it got easier as each of the kids moved out.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
In the 50s and 60s there was more to do at home than there is today. A lot of things were becoming "automated" though so it was getting boring and unrewarding to stay at home.

Used to be, men working the family farm or worked in a factory and the wife worked in the home. Except for the rich where the wife got an education and got to pursue her own interests in whatever she wanted to do--the arts, volunteer jobs.

But the average woman by 1970 didn't have much to do if she stayed home. Move the dust around? Press a button on the washing machine? Press a button on the dryer?

Sure, some women didn't mind watching tv all day long, but most women wanted to do something that they were interested in. They wanted to choose something other than housework and watching tv--women have interests too. It was called "women's lib"--they were liberated from being household slaves and they could work at whatever sort of job interested them. It wasn't about money until later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies